NEWS Broncos legend and employee Michael Hancock turns up heat on playing squad

My bad should have read try, the 70m break upfield for the try assist was just as impressive in itself. Damn, when was the last time our current back 5 scorched the turf untouched from deep in our 20m to they try line ;-(

You mean the one try assist he has provided for the whole season so far for both teams his played for? Thats quite impressive hey everyone lets celebrate the one try assist that has been even outclassed by an equally dreadful Darius Boyd.
[automerge]1560850765[/automerge]
Hell even Jack Bird made 3 before he got injured.

Last edited:
For all the hating on Roberts (and don’t get me wrong, given his attitude this year, I’m glad he’s gone), I do think we need to acknowledge one thing about him that I do think has been overlooked.

Simply having him in the side, with that speed and game breaking ability, made the defence nervous and provided space for those around him.

That’s the metric that cannot be measured by any statistic and I truly do think our other outside backs are probably missing that extra yard of space that is no longer there.

But yeh, his attitude was toxic and he needed to go.

It might be tough for Roberts to fit in at Souffs too. They are pretty structured, unless Bennett wants to change for some ungodly reason. Roberts will either have to adapt and learn new skills, or probably get left behind.

It might be tough for Roberts to fit in at Souffs too. They are pretty structured, unless Bennett wants to change for some ungodly reason. Roberts will either have to adapt and learn new skills, or probably get left behind.

I think that they’ll put structures in place that will set Roberts up with the space he needs. We were never quite capable of it, but then again we’ve had a lot of rookies or makeshift players just trying to get a feel for first grade and their positions. The Rabbitohs have much more experience and are drilled enough to be able to really push home the set plays. Roberts will certainly benefit from that.

For all the hating on Roberts (and don’t get me wrong, given his attitude this year, I’m glad he’s gone), I do think we need to acknowledge one thing about him that I do think has been overlooked.

Simply having him in the side, with that speed and game breaking ability, made the defence nervous and provided space for those around him.

That’s the metric that cannot be measured by any statistic and I truly do think our other outside backs are probably missing that extra yard of space that is no longer there.

But yeh, his attitude was toxic and he needed to go.

Attacking wise I think he can provide that and I'm happy to acknowledge it when he DOES provide it and has the right attitude, the question is has he been providing it this season? I have to say by and large no. You can't have players have a free pass on potential be in one aspect of the game when there are MAJOR concerns in others especially attitude which has a serious tendency to effective every aspect of a players game. And lets be honest here, this isn't the first club his had attitude and form issues with either.

I can understand the frustration at Boyd and Macca in first grade while Roberts was dropped, but can anyone seriously say with any honesty that the majority of Bronco fans have gone into bat for them to either not be dropped or even sacked right now? If it was upto me, they would be in the Intrust Cup right now, alongside a few others in first grade at present.

Last edited:
If we can't land Ponga or Holmes I'd love for the club to go after Manu, the guy was freakish at FB on the weekend. The rorters are probably going to have to pay out the ass for Lazy Latrell due to the Dogs losing their marbles, so Manu will be ripe for the taking.

You mean the one try assist he has provided for the whole season so far for both teams his played for? Thats quite impressive hey everyone lets celebrate the one try assist that has been even outclassed by an equally dreadful Darius Boyd.
[automerge]1560850765[/automerge]
Hell even Jack Bird made 3 before he got injured.

Bird was arguably the form centre of the comp before he got hurt. It's a shame that he did, because a Staggs/ Bird centre pairing would be deadly.

Last edited:
If we can't land Ponga or Holmes I'd love for the club to go after Manu, the guy was freakish at FB on the weekend. The rorters are probably going to have to pay out the ass for Lazy Latrell due to the Dogs losing their marbles, so Manu will be ripe for the taking.

Bird was arguably the form centre of the comp before he got hurt. It's a shame that he did, because a Staggs/ Bird centre pairing would be deadly.

Yeah, I don't think even the Roosters would be able to afford both Manu and Latrell. Manu looked good at fullback, but the Bulldogs are a joke too, I'd like to see him have a decent run there before judging him.

Yeah, I don't think even the Roosters would be able to afford both Manu and Latrell. Manu looked good at fullback, but the Bulldogs are a joke too, I'd like to see him have a decent run there before judging him.
If there is any truth to that Bulldogs deal you need a hell of a lot of results from that to justify it and frankly there are even better players I would still be reluctant to sign for that long on as so much can happen in that period.

Assuming Ponga and Holmes are off the table, I'm not really seeing any other options for FB which is the position we badly need to fill with a strike player.

If we can get Manu on 800kish we will have, worst case scenario, a top 5 centre with GF experience. Basically a straight replacement for Bird who I can see leaving after his current deal even if we wanted to keep him.

Last edited:
Assuming Ponga and Holmes are off the table, I'm not really seeing any other options for FB which is the position we badly need to fill with a strike player.

If we can get Manu on 800kish we will have, worst case scenario, a top 5 centre with GF experience. Basically a straight replacement for Bird who I can see leaving after his current deal even if we wanted to keep him.

if we can't get Holmes or Ponga ... then Bird should be our man at FB ... it would mean finding a replacement center though (Coates possibly?)

It is a shame that we lost our best attacking player in Roberts. He was truly the only player who had game breaking pace.

I hope one of the young guys coming through can come in next year and be a transcendent level attacking player for us, because we need it.
It is a shame but he was poison so good riddance

Jordan rapana off contract at the end of the year has he played much fullback?

Jordan rapana off contract at the end of the year has he played much fullback?

Nah, not really, at least not in any recent years. He's been a fucking gun winger though, arguably the best in the game not too long ago, but I'm not sure how he's going this year, might have been injured before?

Rapana hasn’t played fullback consistently with Wighton there (plus fringe guys and now CNK). His career is interesting in that he’s really only been playing since 2015, but does turn 30 this year. Prone to some dumb stuff and injured a bit recently but seems to be a quick healer.

From the GC so may want to come back to. Wouldn’t be going out of my way to sign him though

Last edited:
Roberts has scored slashing tries in South colours even without Walker and Reynolds.
Really dreading the ceiling he will hit once Souths get all hands on deck, with the other speed star Burns terrorising the left edge.

Just to appease the coaches ego, we have traded our most dangerous player for Q cup mediocrity. Double standards if he can't even have an honesty session with the bigger sook wearing the No.1 jersey. That's the "touchy subject" Mick is referring to.

He has scored 1 try for them.

My bad should have read try, the 70m break upfield for the try assist was just as impressive in itself. Damn, when was the last time our current back 5 scorched the turf untouched from deep in our 20m to they try line ;-(

Hellaluyah! 1 try and 1 try assist in 2 games. Goodness me, no wonder our season has fallen over...

So those are his good points. Care to look at the rest of his game? Support play? Positioning? Defence (or almost complete lack thereof), no kick chase, not going looking for work and his general overall attitude of walking around kicking stones, even at Souths, unless he can do his signature in and away and make use of his pace?

Without that, there isn’t much to him as a footballer.

What about all the tries Oates has scored from inside our own half?

Active Now

• Alec
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • BroncosAlways
  • Midean
  • Broncorob
  • Skathen
  • RodF
  • Redux
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Brotherdu
  • Battler
  • theshed
  • Justwin
  • Galah
  • Bronx48
  • Hoof Hearted
... and 29 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.