NEWS Broncos need a feelings coach

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Brisbane's been given some tips from well known sports shrink Dr Phil Jauncey, who's worked with them before, as well as with other teams including the current world Test Cricket and Twenty20 champions, Australia:

“The first thing is you don‘t use that word (resilience). Resilience is an emotion and a feeling. You cannot control emotions or your feelings but you can control your actions. When you say someone is resilient what you mean is that when things are wrong they stick to their Plan A. They keep doing what they have to do."

“I know when Great Britain had a try scored against them James Graham would say to them behind the posts ‘c’mon guys ... left foot forward.’ What he was really saying was ‘stick to your Plan A’. You don’t see Nadal or Federer changing things. Compare Bernard Tomic to John Millman. Who self-destructs and who sticks to their Plan A?’’

“Look at Shane Webcke who just kept going forward. Glenn Lazarus was the same. Alfie Langer would never chuck it in. John Plath might not have been super talented but you knock a guy like that down and he just got up. In the good teams after a try is scored against them someone takes control behind the posts. There have been times recently when the Broncos looked dazed and sad. You don’t see that behind the posts at the Roosters."

Screenshot 2020 08 03 Oenomaus

Harden the **** up

“Great players don’t worry about how they feel. They worry about what they do. This is where leadership helps. Players need to know what things are signs they do when they are playing well. For one player it might be chatting. For another it might be getting their hands on the ball. Teams have to be careful of the ‘here we go again’ syndrome. They start the game really fired up then something goes wrong and they think ‘here we go again’."

Kotoni's in:

“We’ve got to focus on ourselves. We’ve got to go out there and play for our fans and play for our family. We’ve got to show the fans that we’re still playing for them because they’re hurting as much as we are."

McHunt

Last edited:
Is the plan to continue with a coach who has no idea?

Can we hire someone to coach the coach? Maybe Jauncey can take over from here

Last edited:
Brisbane has roped in well known sports shrink Dr Phil Jauncey, who's worked with them before, as well as with other teams including the current world Test Cricket and Twenty20 champions, Australia:

“The first thing is you don‘t use that word (resilience). Resilience is an emotion and a feeling. You cannot control emotions or your feelings but you can control your actions. When you say someone is resilient what you mean is that when things are wrong they stick to their Plan A. They keep doing what they have to do."

“I know when Great Britain had a try scored against them James Graham would say to them behind the posts ‘c’mon guys ... left foot forward.’ What he was really saying was ‘stick to your Plan A’. You don’t see Nadal or Federer changing things. Compare Bernard Tomic to John Millman. Who self-destructs and who sticks to their Plan A?’’

“Look at Shane Webcke who just kept going forward. Glenn Lazarus was the same. Alfie Langer would never chuck it in. John Plath might not have been super talented but you knock a guy like that down and he just got up. In the good teams after a try is scored against them someone takes control behind the posts. There have been times recently when the Broncos looked dazed and sad. You don’t see that behind the posts at the Roosters."

View attachment 9117
Harden the **** up

“Great players don’t worry about how they feel. They worry about what they do. This is where leadership helps. Players need to know what things are signs they do when they are playing well. For one player it might be chatting. For another it might be getting their hands on the ball. Teams have to be careful of the ‘here we go again’ syndrome. They start the game really fired up then something goes wrong and they think ‘here we go again’."

Kotoni's in:

“We’ve got to focus on ourselves. We’ve got to go out there and play for our fans and play for our family. We’ve got to show the fans that we’re still playing for them because they’re hurting as much as we are."

McHunt
Gee after reading this @McHunt I'm beginning to think maybe we should stick by Pies as he is the most resilient guy I've come across.

I mean he sticks to plan A no matter what. He plans to change wingers in the 60th minute and regardless of how the game is going he sticks to his plan. And every week he sticks to what is obviously not working but it's his plan A and he's sticking to it.

This looks like the sort of thing Seibs might have handled himself.

It's all starting to come crashing down.

Brisbane has roped in well known sports shrink Dr Phil Jauncey, who's worked with them before, as well as with other teams including the current world Test Cricket and Twenty20 champions, Australia:

View attachment 9117
Harden the **** up

Kotoni's in:

McHunt

What's your source?

Jauncey's online resume shows : "Phil is currently working with the South Sydney NRL team".

A bit both ways it seems

Why not Tony Robbins? Get them walking on hot coals to symbolism something,

Last edited:
Just reading that article - it looks like Craddock has contacted him and got some quotes out of him. It doesn‘t make any connection between him and the club that I can see.

I think Tina Turner is the key to turning this all around.

This looks like the sort of thing Seibs might have handled himself.

It's all starting to come crashing down.

This is something used by some of the best coaches in sports all across the world past and present and for good reason.

These guys can do it better than the coaches, because they are qualified whereas coaches aren't.

FFS. This will do me. Exactly what we need, more words...

Not a fucking defensive structure. Not some actual fitness and conditioning so we can actually play 80 minutes of football. Not some attacking plays so we can actually put points on a team that isn’t running 9 players from the goddamn Newtown jets...

No! What we need is someone else paid to speak some more friggin words...

Just reading that article - it looks like Craddock has contacted him and got some quotes out of him. It doesn‘t make any connection between him and the club that I can see.
Yes, I think you're right. Wasn't paying enough attention. Was on the phone when I posted this. I've changed the intro.

Screenshot 2020 08 03 Ban that word Mind gurus blunt advice for battling Broncos

Last edited:

There is no connection, Broncos went in a different direction last year. I mentioned Phil a few weeks ago in relation to him moving on when that article was posted about the sports psychologist on the NRL site and how the Broncos could move forward.

Broncos had Phil Jauncey for 20 years but got rid of him. He would deal with all these things and is the premier Performance Psychologist. He also did the Bulls and Lions.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Cavalo
  • Fozz
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.