NEWS Broncos on Fifita: 'We are very comfortable'

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Broncos on Fifita: 'We are very comfortable'
broncos.com.au 27 Feb 2020, 04:21 PM

ANTHONY Seibold has this morning urged Broncos fans to relax on the future of David Fifita with four words: 'We are very comfortable.'

Fifita is ultimately the hottest young forward talent in the game and is signed to the Broncos until the end of this season.

Seibold said he understood there would be speculation on the future of an undeniable star of the game.

But he said the Broncos were extremely confident in their negotiations, and said it was time to 'ease up' on speculating on the teenager's future.

The Broncos just want to let him play his best football to start the 2020 NRL season.

"We are really confident with where we are at in the negotiations," he said.

"David wants to let his football do the talking and I admire that and respect that.

"As a club we want to provide an environment for David to feel comfortable and play his best footy and I think we do that.

"He’s got a lot of his mates around him.

"Without making any further comments with regards to where [the negotiations are] at, we are very comfortable.

"There has been so much comment around David since last September/October.

"He’s a 19-year-old kid so let’s ease up on him and let him play his footy."

Seibold also laughed off suggestions out of Newcastle yesterday that the Broncos were a greater threat to signing Knights’ fullback Kalyn Ponga than rugby union’s All Blacks.

"We are guided by a salary cap so that is pie-in-the-sky sort of stuff,” he said.

“If we had open slather of course I’d go for Kalyn Ponga. He’s an outstanding player.

“But every club has got a salary cap. It is not like the Premier League (in English football) where you can pay what you want for a player.

“Certainly Kalyn hasn’t been in any conversation (with the Broncos).”

Source: broncos.com.au

Much prefer him to say ’he's comfortable' rather then uncomfortable but it’s all mind games really.

Meninga - 'were going to have a red hot crack'. ( he did go to school there )
Burgess - 'we've missed out and moved on'. ( They've often nailed their man after saying this )
Fifita - 'only a business' ( generally means I’ll go to the highest bidder )

At the end of the day only time will tell. Whatever he decides so be it, but let’s do it and get on with it. The less distractions going into a new season the better.

Last edited:
I think people should quietly confidant Fifita isn't leaving. 1.2 mil a year he turned down, or 1 mil, either way that is a huge amount of cash. He said no, luckily for us Ben Hunt said yes and Fifita said no. To me turning that sort of cash down is more of an indicator than any "quote" or reporter ramblings.

This was written a while ago, because he is not a teenager

If Seibold gave our game away on Ponga so early, he'd be on the fast track to being shit canned. Rule number 1 for Coaches is to keep their mouths pretty much shut in front of the media. Bennett has made denial and misdirection an artform.

If Seibold gave our game away on Ponga so early, he'd be on the fast track to being shit canned. Rule number 1 for Coaches is to keep their mouths pretty much shut in front of the media. Bennett has made denial and misdirection an artform.

Coaches frequently deny having the cash for high profile players that come onto the market. look at Bennett, the last 3 players he denied interest in Souths signed shortly after ...

and right at this point in time, while we are in the process of re-signing Fifita, it is even less likely Seibs will tell the world that we have cash to splash ... we don't want Fifita's manager to suddenly jack up the price that it will cost us to get Fifita's signature

[automerge]1582885006[/automerge]

James Roberts said:

"There’s no doubt the guy is a beast. He’s going to be one of the best players in the world in the next few years. But I have no idea about his contract stuff. He hasn’t said anything to me. I know he’s already a fan of Wayne Bennett. But who isn’t? I know (Fifita) debuted under Wayne but as for anything else I’m not sure. I’m sure he will sort himself out and do what is best for his family.”

Cody Walker:

“Dave Fifita is a wonderful talent and wherever he goes, he’ll be a great addition to that club. But given I haven’t spoken to him about it, I can’t really sit here and speculate on who might be coming or leaving. I’ll leave it to people higher up to have those conversations. Souths winger Dane Gagai, who played alongside Fifita with the 2019 Maroons, also said he would love to team up with the powerhouse teenager at an NRL level. Obviously I played Origin with Dave, he’s a good young kid,” Gagai said. “I’ve only caught wind of the talk today (Tuesday) myself. And that’s all up to the club. I just know he’s a great kid and an unbelievable talent.”

Telegraph writers:

"It is understood Fifita, who also represented the Australian Nines last year, is not only a huge fan of Bennett, but also assistant Jason Demetriou. Under Souths’ current succession plan, Demetriou not only assumes the top job from Bennett at the end of 2021, but then has a deal for the ensuing four years. Fifita has previously played under both coaches at Brisbane. While Souths initially offered Fifita a five-year, $5 million deal late last year, a lack of interest from the powerhouse forward saw the Rabbitohs move on to Arrow and Mitchell instead. The Broncos have Fifita signed for this year and, well aware from the interest of several Sydney clubs, remain determined to keep him at Red Hill for the long-term."

McHunt

Last edited by a moderator:
Ffs the DT and CM dribble fest really need to leave it alone.
He. Isn’t. Going. Anywhere.

Last edited:
Couldn’t help but notice at the season launch that Dave has seemingly paired up with Shaylee Bent from the Dragons women’s team. First off, well done Dave, second, convince her to come up here and play for us (and not the other way round)

Couldn’t help but notice at the season launch that Dave has seemingly paired up with Shaylee Bent from the Dragons women’s team. First off, well done Dave, second, convince her to come up here and play for us (and not the other way round)

punching well above his weight

Wow, go Dave. Shaylee is the bomb.

Unread

Active Now

• levikaden
  • Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mister Wright
  • Fitzy
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.