Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
**** it, Taylor can do no wrong. Passing and kicking is incredible and personal attacks are fine because I'm a nazi

Bullshit. His passing and running game is similar to Hunt and Milfords kicking game. It's been known to be alright, but is not something that he does often. Still waiting for an explanation about how Roberts and Gillett will double their production by the way?
Not sure there is a point to this, as last time I tried to engage you in a proper debate, you went off the rails, but hey... let's try again!

1- Yes, his passing and running game are probably on the same level as Hunt's kicking game. Does that make it non-existent? I'll let you answer that.

2- He has much better decision making and organisation/control skills than Hunt, Milf or Knik, especially when it comes to 5th tackle options. And although kicking is his strength, he is actually better at putting people through holes on the right side than Hunt was. You only have to look at how much better that side was when Knik played there to realise how bad Hunt actually was in that aspect.

Its complete nonsense to say he has no passing or running game. For a start, who are we comparing his passing and running to? Its fair to say he needs to run more, but to say he doesnt do it at all is rubbish. I dont believe for a second anyone on here has watched every Titans game that Taylor has played to make such a call. His passing is good, his kicking is streets ahead of Knik, Hunt or Milford, both long and short. He is a decent goalkicker, which we are thin on the ground with and has shown he is capable of kicking field goals too, something else we also need as we have to bring in a bloke from the wing to do it for us.

At the end of the day, he isnt the finished article. He is a 22 year old half back who has played 2 full seasons in the NRL in a very ordinary team and he has stood out for them. He will improve his running, his passing will get better as will his kicking and game management as he matures imo. What we have to do is work out how much we want to pay for his potential.

Who do we move on to get him , if it were to happen ? Glenn , kahu , sims ???
I'd lose Glenn and definetly sims for him. But not many others in our squad...
100% with you here. Knik's passing game is underrated, and nowhere will you see me claim that Taylor's is better, which is a different thing from saying it's non-existent.

The thing with Taylor is that he is an ideal half pair to Milford or even Knik for that matter, and the reason I would want Knik at fullback (with a pre-season under his belt to learn the intricacies of commanding the defensive line), is to take advantage of his attacking game. Besides, Boyd would strengthen our left side in defense and attack, playing centre.

No matter how often people say that Taylor's strengths lie elsewhere, and are exactly the things we lack and absolutely need, you will have people who can never admit being wrong, trot out the fallacy he can't pass, run or defend... if anything, to make themselves feel better about their previous statements.

Not by all of us... :pokeytongue:
i will happily take Taylor in our team... the debate for me is the value of him to our team. His contract would cost us 2 rep level forward or outside backs when compared to knik. I would especially hate it if it cost us numerous juniors, who are said to be the best in their age group and are going to strengthen another perceived weakness we wanted fixed (lack of size in our forward pack).
On average we are the 3rd best team in the nrl over the last 3 years. Will ash Taylor guarantee us a premiership? I don't think so. But are we far off? Well, we are in a better position then about 12 other teams, and that's without Taylor.

For me, here's the difference (completely my opinion). I just want management and coaching staff to weigh it up properly, and I think they will. I wouldn't trust the numbers in the newspaper...

Knik:
Kicking: 3/10
Passing: 6/10
Pressure moments: 6/10
Leadership/organisation: 3/10
Running game: 8/10
Defence: 5/10
Bringing the best out of milf: 8/10

Ash Taylor:
Kicking: 8/10
Passing: 5/10
Leadership/organisation: 7/10
Running game: 4/10
Defence: 3/10
Bringing the best out of milf: ?/10

Yeah I'm not sure why Cult just goes mental whenever Ash is brought up, he seems to be under the assumption that Porth and I believe he's literally flawless as a player, that's not the case at all, there's no doubting that he needs work in certain areas of his game.

I'm just of the opinion that kicking is the hardest thing to master as a Half, and he's nearly done that already at age 22, even if the other areas of his game never fully develop to an elite level, he'll still be a great Half because of how exceptional his kicking is.

And of course on the bright side, if his running, passing & defence all improve at a gradual rate over the next 4 or 5 years, we have the best Halfback in the world.

Not sure there is a point to this, as last time I tried to engage you in a proper debate, you went off the rails, but hey... let's try again!

1- Yes, his passing and running game are probably on the same level as Hunt's kicking game. Does that make it non-existent? I'll let you answer that.

2- He has much better decision making and organisation/control skills than Hunt, Milf or Knik, especially when it comes to 5th tackle options. And although kicking is his strength, he is actually better at putting people through holes on the right side than Hunt was. You only have to look at how much better that side was when Knik played there to realise how bad Hunt actually was in that aspect.
Cool, you want to have a debate after calling me a nazi.

1. I asked how many try assists came from passes and you responded with "Repeating a falacy ad nauseum still won't make it true." and now you want to have a debate? How about you answer my question instead of giving smart ass responses that apply to yourself as well and prove zero points.

2. I shouldn't have said he doesn't have a passing game at all, but he barely has a passing game at all. Better? Great.

3. This isn't about Hunt, but I'd like to see some stats about how often Hunt and Taylor put people through holes with their passing game. Of course, according to some nobody has watched all of the Titans games this season so I wouldn't know (WTF @Wolfie we don't all get to go watch these guys train every day.. By the way, I have seen every Titans game this season).

4. I have said a thousand times that I want him back at Broncos. But the hype from you and many others is not equal to what he has shown. That's my point. Your bias toward him is over the top, Just like mine was toward Hunt, even though my point then was that he wasn't the only player to blame and wasn't conveyed as well as I would have liked.

Yeah I'm not sure why Cult just goes mental whenever Ash is brought up, he seems to be under the assumption that Porth and I believe he's literally flawless as a player, that's not the case at all, there's no doubting that he needs work in certain areas of his game.

I'm just of the opinion that kicking is the hardest thing to master as a Half, and he's nearly done that already at age 22, even if the other areas of his game never fully develop to an elite level, he'll still be a great Half because of how exceptional his kicking is.

And of course on the bright side, if his running, passing & defence all improve at a gradual rate over the next 4 or 5 years, we have the best Halfback in the world.
I'm going mental because a moderator called me a nazi instead of answering the question I asked. But yeah, I'll be the bad guy again..

I'd lose Glenn and definetly sims for him. But not many others in our squad...

i will happily take Taylor in our team... the debate for me is the value of him to our team. His contract would cost us 2 rep level forward or outside backs when compared to knik. I would especially hate it if it cost us numerous juniors, who are said to be the best in their age group and are going to strengthen another perceived weakness we wanted fixed (lack of size in our forward pack).
On average we are the 3rd best team in the nrl over the last 3 years. Will ash Taylor guarantee us a premiership? I don't think so. But are we far off? Well, we are in a better position then about 12 other teams, and that's without Taylor.

For me, here's the difference (completely my opinion). I just want management and coaching staff to weigh it up properly, and I think they will. I wouldn't trust the numbers in the newspaper...

Knik:
Kicking: 3/10
Passing: 6/10
Leadership/organisation: 3/10
Running game: 8/10
Defence: 5/10
Bringing the best out of milf: 8/10

Ash Taylor:
Kicking: 8/10
Passing: 5/10
Leadership/organisation: 7/10
Running game: 4/10
Defence: 3/10
Bringing the best out of milf: ?/10
We haven't progressed in the last 3 years though. We have in my opinion regressed progressively.

I don't understand how based on that ranking (which wouldn't be too far from mine btw), highlighting the strengths we don't have, you don't think it would help us making the jump to become a real top team in the mold of the Storm.

Cool, you want to have a debate after calling me a nazi.

1. I asked how many try assists came from passes and you responded with "Repeating a falacy ad nauseum still won't make it true." and now you want to have a debate? How about you answer my question instead of giving smart ass responses that apply to yourself as well and prove zero points.

2. I shouldn't have said he doesn't have a passing game at all, but he barely has a passing game at all. Better? Great.

3. This isn't about Hunt, but I'd like to see some stats about how often Hunt and Taylor put people through holes with their passing game. Of course, according to some nobody has watched all of the Titans games this season so I wouldn't know (WTF @Wolfie we don't all get to go watch these guys train every day.. By the way, I have seen every Titans game this season).

4. I have said a thousand times that I want him back at Broncos. But the hype from you and many others is not equal to what he has shown. That's my point. Your bias toward him is over the top, Just like mine was toward Hunt, even though my point then was that he wasn't the only player to blame and wasn't conveyed as well as I would have liked.

What about his first season? I also dont believe even if anyone did watch every single game he has ever played in the NRL you would remember every time he has run the ball, every time he has delivered a pass thats given somebody a try scoring opportunity whether they score it or not, every kick good or bad, every missed tackle. It wouldnt happen with a Broncos player, let alone a player from another side.

If you have an issue with a players weakness, people only tend to look for the thing that particular player is doing wrong. The things they do right tend to get overlooked while the perceived flaw in their game is magnified.

I'm not sure where you would even find the stats you are looking for. Fairly sure you could pull up a youtube video of Ash and it would show him with try assists and good ball delivered from passes and kicks. If you have the stats, wouldnt it be easier to just put them up along with a link where you got them from?

I think once he gets the confidence to run the ball a bit more, he will be very dangerous. He is pretty fast, its just something he needs to bring more into his game.

The question is who we would have to give up to get Taylor.

What about his first season? I also dont believe even if anyone did watch every single game he has ever played in the NRL you would remember every time he has run the ball, every time he has delivered a pass thats given somebody a try scoring opportunity whether they score it or not, every kick good or bad, every missed tackle. It wouldnt happen with a Broncos player, let alone a player from another side.

If you have an issue with a players weakness, people only tend to look for the thing that particular player is doing wrong. The things they do right tend to get overlooked while the perceived flaw in their game is magnified.

I'm not sure where you would even find the stats you are looking for. Fairly sure you could pull up a youtube video of Ash and it would show him with try assists and good ball delivered from passes and kicks. If you have the stats, wouldnt it be easier to just put them up along with a link where you got them from?

I think once he gets the confidence to run the ball a bit more, he will be very dangerous. He is pretty fast, its just something he needs to bring more into his game.
Which is entirely why I asked how many of his try assists came from passes and how many came from kicks. I asked a legitimate question that hasn't been answered yet because we are too worried about a small comment about him having no passing game, when I meant he barely has a passing game. Obviously he can pass and run, seems weird that anyone would think that I meant he literally never passes or runs well. Answer the question and dispute it guys, that's how debates work.

But if you do sign Taylor, you could end up losing them, like we did with Taylor originally.

Just hoping the right decisions are made.

You don't need to make that call right now. You get the best player now, not what could be in five years. If you have Taylor playing NRL and then Paix and Boyd going to play the new Colts comp next year.

If the Broncos signed Taylor then Boyd and Paix aren't putting any pressure on him until they can at least play ISC. Let's see how they go next year in the HD Cup.

You don't need to make that call right now. You get the best player now, not what could be in five years. If you have Taylor playing NRL and then Paix and Boyd going to play the new Colts comp next year.

If the Broncos signed Taylor then Boyd and Paix aren't putting any pressure on him until they can at least play ISC. Let's see how they go next year in the HD Cup.

How long are Boyd and Paix signed to the Broncos for? I don't think you could keep both of them for long.

How many of those try assists came from passes? Maybe our wingers will double their production but Taylor does not have a passing game at all. Unless he's going to kick it to Roberts and Gillett?
Who gives a shit how the try assist come ... as long as they come...

The question is who we would have to give up to get Taylor.

I think we would end up having to try to move on some of the older guys like Glenn, Mead, Sims and maybe even Kahu and give some of the younger fellas like Shibasaki, Allan, Pearson and Issako a shot maybe for a wing spot, and transition Oates to backrow and give Sua some more game time.

Not sure who we have released already, but i presume we wont be keeping Dodds and Waddell. After that i think i'd be getting rid of Funaki, Pangai and Seve tbh, i dont think any will be good enough.

I think we would end up having to try to move on some of the older guys like Glenn, Mead, Sims and maybe even Kahu and give some of the younger fellas like Shibasaki, Allan, Pearson and Issako a shot maybe for a wing spot, and transition Oates to backrow and give Sua some more game time.

Not sure who we have released already, but i presume we wont be keeping Dodds and Waddell. After that i think i'd be getting rid of Funaki, Pangai and Seve tbh, i dont think any will be good enough.

Agree with most of this, but I also think there is a big chance we lose someone like Su'A or Oates. Not to mention we still have to re-sign guys like Fifita and TPJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • Tim K
  • Bongo
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Fatboy
  • maddo
  • FaceOfMutiny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.