Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that article says Seibold had nothing to do with it and he claims WB discussed a player move with Mulholland. He must have heard about it and contacted Solly(his boss)but he obviously didn't know about it and neither did Souths apparently. So, it seems as though it was all WB and Mulholland.

The alternative read is that Ben Rogers organised the deal, but instead of running it by the current coach, he ran it by his replacement instead.

Here's an excerpt from the article on Seibold's email to Solly.

* Potential signing of Liam Knight from the Canberra Raiders - Ben Rogers replied that Peter Mullholland had contacted himself and Wayne Bennett to discuss the possible signing of Liam Knight for 2019. Liam has not been signed but Wayne was consulted on the possibility of his recruitment. Whist Head Coach I wanted an update of our current Retention & Recruitment conversations as I have not been updated since returning for work on November 7th - Ben Rogers agreed to come and see me which he followed up on this afternoon to update. He communicated to me that all Recruitment & Retention decisions had been put on hold until further notice.

https://broncoshq.com/threads/wayne-bennett-moves-to-souths.36870/page-149

Last edited:
So that article says Seibold had nothing to do with it and he claims WB discussed a player move with Mulholland. He must have heard about it and contacted Solly(his boss)but he obviously didn't know about it and neither did Souths apparently. So, it seems as though it was all WB and Mulholland.

Yes, clearly the head of recruitment at Souths never discusses recruitment with player managers or players, nor do they agree to terms, prior to contract signature...

Very sound argument, there...

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with the original claim. Seperate issue.
Sure, except you can't have your cake and eat it too.

What is it, was Wayne working with Souths recruitment while still employed by the Broncos, or was he not involved with Liam Knight's hiring?

That's what pissed me off. I thought firing Bennett was the wrong call and that he would have had the team performing well this year, but the board felt differently as they're well entitled to do. But all this sneaking around bullshit, to make up their mind in October that Siebold was going to coach here in 2019, trying to oust Bennett without being seen to do so and to ultimately claim some kind of moral victory sacking him for responding to emails from Souths while at the very same moment trying to negotiate a coach swap, that's poor form. Using the newspapers to try and tarnish Wayne's legacy and make him into the sole bad guy in this and publishing a whinge from Siebold about how it's all Wayne's fault for making his kids cry, that leaves a pretty sour taste in my mouth to be honest.

If they'd played it all above board and openly sacked Bennett because they wanted Siebold to start straight away I think there'd be a lot less infighting and old ground to chew over. But instead they had to drag the name of our founding and only successful coach through the mud just so a chairman most of us wouldn't know from Adam can look like he's got clean hands.

Last edited:
That's what pissed me off. I thought firing Bennett was the wrong call and that he would have had the team performing well this year, but the board felt differently as they're well entitled to do. But all this sneaking around bullshit, to make up their mind in October that Siebold was going to coach here in 2019, trying to oust Bennett without being seen to do so and to ultimately claim some kind of moral victory sacking him for responding to emails from Souths while at the very same moment trying to negotiate a coach swap, that's poor form. Using the newspapers to try and tarnish Wayne's legacy and make him into the sole bad guy in this and publishing a whinge from Siebold about how it's all Wayne's fault for making his kids cry, that leaves a pretty sour taste in my mouth to be honest.

If they'd played it all above board and openly sacked Bennett because they wanted Siebold to start straight away I think there'd be a lot less infighting and old ground to chew over. But instead they had to drag the name of our founding and only successful coach through the mud just so a chairman most of us wouldn't know from Adam can look like he's got clean hands.

Shit ***** imo

The thing I didn't like about Wayne in the story was him offering to "train up" our "next coach" Demetriou or Walters or "Whoever". Yeah right Wayne, like we are gonna fall for the old Henjak trick from you again.

I cringe when I see the dressing sheds after the game via the networks. It's just not a proper setting without Bennett walking around and giving every player a pat on the back. Seibs and Cross and the other clowns, all of whom have no idea about Bronco culture and what it means to be a winner. They stick out like sore thumbs and in 6-7 short weeks, this new regime is already doomed to failure. What a complete **** up.

I cringe when I see the dressing sheds after the game via the networks. It's just not a proper setting without Bennett walking around and giving every player a pat on the back. Seibs and Cross and the other clowns, all of whom have no idea about Bronco culture and what it means to be a winner. They stick out like sore thumbs and in 6-7 short weeks, this new regime is already doomed to failure. What a complete **** up.

What exactly is your relationship with Wayne Bennett?

What exactly is your relationship with Wayne Bennett?
I've met the guy a couple of times but other than that, no relationship. I can live with him being replaced but if you are going to get rid of an icon, you should probably bring in a big name in his place. Someone who can attract marquee or up and coming players to the club or someone who isn't a no name from Rocky who hasn't a clue about the culture and history of the place. Henjak was a mistake, Hook was an even bigger mistake and this guy is set to be another failure. Kevie, Hodgo or even Ben Walker would have been better options because they live, breath and adore the club and players respond to these sorts of things.

Yes, clearly the head of recruitment at Souths never discusses recruitment with player managers or players, nor do they agree to terms, prior to contract signature...

Very sound argument, there...
I agree. Who made that argument? You definitely need to speak to them, not very sound is it?

I saw seibold patting the backs of the players, I think there was even a hug for lodge.

I'm not sure it's that bad for the long term but I think that's an interesting point about culture. With Sam gone there aren't many guys from the old Bennett days about, just Darius who doesn't come across as the type of leader you'd get from Hodges or similar.

It will be interesting to see how Siebold builds this up for the club and if the Broncos culture going forward comes to resemble that of the glory days under Wayne or goes off somewhere else. It's always hard to separate changes in the subject versus changes in the viewer, and I've aged enough that my memory is getting a bit dodgy, but the club as a whole feels a lot more cold and corporate than I remember. Maybe the board aren't setting an amazing example for a new coach to follow when it comes to culture.

Yaaaaawwnnnn...

Boyd is also the only player there from when we last won a premiership... He was 18 at the time, and is now 31.....

Bennett is the greatest coach of all time and will probably deliver a premiership to souffs just like he did the dragons, but take a good look at Newcastle if you want to see how he goes building clubs from the bottom up. Even the broncos were full of hardened brl players with internationals and rep players in the team.

One more year... Then next year, 1 more year... Then the next year... 1 more year... You give seibold 7 games, you gave Bennett 5 years in 1988 and 4 years from 2015. I don't give a shit if we finish 10th this year but it eventually gets a premiership, I am fucking sick of us making up the numbers then getting embarrassed in the finals every bloody year. The coach swap has happened, you have 5 years. The repetitiveness is boring. Seibold is trying to build something, will it work? Maybe not, but ffs 7 games, or 1 year even, won't tell us shit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Santa
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.