Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we actually have a recruitment manager? Because all of the successful clubs seem to have an actual recruitment and retention manager. This is clearly an area the Broncos haven't done well in since, well, Cyril. That's pretty fucking embarassing.

Well Seibs has mentioned a couple of times in the press conferences that we will now be sticking with youth and promoting from within, I wouldn't be expecting us to go to the market to solve our problems.

For the guys in the know, @Smokin' Joe @1910 @Wolfie, does Seibs have a good rapport with the playing group that you know of?

For the guys in the know, @Smokin' Joe @1910 @Wolfie, does Seibs have a good rapport with the playing group that you know of?

I haven't heard anything personally to say that he doesn't have a good rapport with them. I'd say he has made a couple of decisions regarding players who were well liked that may not have been popular, but the players also understand that's how things are. I doubt he is disliked.

This was all part of the plan. Seibold giving the players impossible instructions and convoluted game plans, knowing we would completely bomb out, and our promising rookies will look like complete duds. Sign them for cheap because they're so shit, and no one else wants them. When they're all locked in, bam, here's the real game plan. Win all the premierships.

Well Seibs has mentioned a couple of times in the press conferences that we will now be sticking with youth and promoting from within, I wouldn't be expecting us to go to the market to solve our problems.

This is the problem though, the previous coach helped lock in a couple of really busted/washed up blokes on long-term big money in Boyd, Bird, Milf and to a lesser extent, Gillett and Macca. They may not have big recruit money until at least 2022 unless some of those guys retire or the Broncs foot a large chunk of he bill for them to play somewhere else.

Do we actually have a recruitment manager? Because all of the successful clubs seem to have an actual recruitment and retention manager. This is clearly an area the Broncos haven't done well in since, well, Cyril. That's pretty fucking embarassing.
Hang on, haven't we recruited Haas, Fifita, T Boyd, Dearden, Paix, Isaako, Staggs amongst others?

......... we could do better just in the area of giving old injured players bloated overlong contracts.

Well we have taken our first major step by moving on from Bennett.

Last edited:
Reactions: LGH
https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-le...s-c-91535?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Chris Garry -

The Broncos will release James Roberts this off-season, a year before his contract ends, if he wants to join another club.
Roberts is struggling to adapt to Anthony Seibold’s strict coaching.
They haven’t had a falling out but it’s fair to say they have opposing ideologies.
Roberts’ family came to Brisbane’s final training session before the Rabbitohs game, some interpreted it as another sign his time at the club was ending.
That is unlikely to happen mid-season.
But quite simply, Seibold is a creature of habit and routine.
Roberts is not a creature of habit.
The strike centre is a classic game day player.
He’s the bruised boxer who slumps around the ring during training, getting beat up by sparring partners, only to win titles when bright lights shine.
Wayne Bennett’s best attribute as a coach is man management.
He knows which players perform their best with loose standards and which need harsh reminders.
A common phrase you hear from all Bennett coached players is “he gets me”.
Bennett’s style worked well for Roberts, who wasn’t expected to be at his best every training session.
Seibold expects every player to give their best every session.
Brisbane’s playing group also made it clear in the off-season they wanted higher standards.
Roberts has found it difficult to adjust.
Rabbitohs officials aren’t interested in signing Roberts but Bennett is.
It will be a test case of how much power Bennett has at Redfern.

I've noticed a while ago that Roberts just seems like the type of centre that likes to get the ball early while flat footed and then try to run around the defence. He can also chase kicks, he just loves using his speed. He can be pretty good at those things, but I've never seen him as someone who'll learn to hit holes, run decoys or create space for his winger, he just seems very one dimensional. It's why I think he's got a more limited window in the NRL than some other players - once his speed is gone, he'll get exposed. He's already gotten exposed in games where he hasn't tried to create miracle plays.

Last edited:
https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-le...s-c-91535?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Chris Garry -

The Broncos will release James Roberts this off-season, a year before his contract ends, if he wants to join another club.
Roberts is struggling to adapt to Anthony Seibold’s strict coaching.
They haven’t had a falling out but it’s fair to say they have opposing ideologies.
Roberts’ family came to Brisbane’s final training session before the Rabbitohs game, some interpreted it as another sign his time at the club was ending.
That is unlikely to happen mid-season.
But quite simply, Seibold is a creature of habit and routine.
Roberts is not a creature of habit.
The strike centre is a classic game day player.
He’s the bruised boxer who slumps around the ring during training, getting beat up by sparring partners, only to win titles when bright lights shine.
Wayne Bennett’s best attribute as a coach is man management.
He knows which players perform their best with loose standards and which need harsh reminders.
A common phrase you hear from all Bennett coached players is “he gets me”.
Bennett’s style worked well for Roberts, who wasn’t expected to be at his best every training session.
Seibold expects every player to give their best every session.
Brisbane’s playing group also made it clear in the off-season they wanted higher standards.
Roberts has found it difficult to adjust.
Rabbitohs officials aren’t interested in signing Roberts but Bennett is.
It will be a test case of how much power Bennett has at Redfern.

See you James, I will miss your 2 to 3 involvements a game and the anxiety most weekends wondering what photo will emerge. All the best in Sydney but I imagine your career will last another year tops there.

So basically Roberts has an authority problem. And he doesn't even play well enough each week to have free reign.

Okay well, bye.

Last edited:
Cleaning house. Hopefully boyd is next and we'll soon have a hungry albeit young and inexperienced squad.

Yeah, Peter Nolan I think it is, he's been doing a great job in recruitment..... Retention, we could do better just in the area of giving old injured players bloated overlong contracts.
Besides young players through development pathways, in recent years we have 'recruited' Jack Bird (somewhere between 750-1 mil a season depending who you listen to), Fensom, Tagatese and anyone else of note?

We have lost Ash Taylor, Jordan Kahu, Josh McGuire, Korbin Sims, Jai Arrow, Jarrod Wallace amongst others.

We have also renewed Boyd, Milford and Gillett on probably more money, and longer than they deserve.

I wouldn't say he's doing a great job...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Ozired
  • Harry Sack
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • broncoscope
  • Rambstien
  • Behold
  • LittleDavey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Porthoz
  • Tim K
  • Shane Tronc
  • Manofoneway
  • Cavalo
  • BroncoFan94
  • Santa
  • Xzei
  • Dony Eliakim
  • johnny plath
  • FACTHUNT
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.