Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes off 2021 with favor for next
Id be saying to him we are willing to make you the face of qld if you consider leaving
Ponga isn’t off contract until 2022. It would be silly to have another few lean years in order to try and sign Ponga.
All the eggs in the one basket for that far away is extremely dangerous.
I’d be very surprised if Ponga left Newcastle, in fact I believe they’re already in talks with him to extend beyond his current contract.

Relax guys. Club always....... always, greater then the player. If he wants to go then good luck to him and go, I'll be cheering on and supporting the player that takes his place.

Sure, but 18 months in to say he’s done his bit?

It wont be 18 months though will it? He will have been here 3 years when his contract is up, and 4 years in Queensland with his year at Reddy. I think once his contract is up, he will have paid his dues here imo.

Hes off 2021 with favor for next
Id be saying to him we are willing to make you the face of qld if you consider leaving
Still means technically we cannot offer him anything until Nov 1, 2020.
Extremely dangerous for us to not recruit and be happy to let blokes go, just to try and make a play for Ponga. He may not be the slightest bit interested in us.

I hope we can keep one of TPJ and Lodge at least. Not necessarily both, and not if they demand huge salaries. Also I hope we don't replace them with a Burger.

It is a lot easier to keep the likes of Lodge and TPJ , if we make less bad contracts like Boyd and Bird.

At the end of the day we still have Haas, Joffa, Fleg, Patty, etc. but losing Lodge would be a massive loss.

Surely Boyd needs to think about taking a walk out into the snow if we keep losing players.

Lodge is damn near good enough to captain this team.

Just read that drinkwater is looking to leave melbourne. Cowboys were keen but melbourne wont release him this year without a trade. So he could be available next year and be a handy pick up. Not sure how our full back depth is but could move boyd to centres.

Just read that drinkwater is looking to leave melbourne. Cowboys were keen but melbourne wont release him this year without a trade. So he could be available next year and be a handy pick up. Not sure how our full back depth is but could move boyd to centres.
Broncos might learn a thing or two there from the Storm. No need to release a player just cause they feel unsettled. At least try to get a trade deal that suits us first.

It is a lot easier to keep the likes of Lodge and TPJ , if we make less bad contracts like Boyd and Bird.

At the end of the day we still have Haas, Joffa, Fleg, Patty, etc. but losing Lodge would be a massive loss.

Surely Boyd needs to think about taking a walk out into the snow if we keep losing players.

Lodge is damn near good enough to captain this team.

Although I agree with Boyd I’m not so sure about bird. He has been extremely unlucky. He was probably our best player until he got injured this year. He was really looking good and starting to bust tackles. You can’t do anything about injuries. That’s just bad luck. His contract size was a little on the large size but if he had of been able to stay fit this year he would have played origin and probably justified his price tag.

They want Jensen from the Cows who is off contract anyway so its going to happen at a guess.

Broncos might learn a thing or two there from the Storm. No need to release a player just cause they feel unsettled. At least try to get a trade deal that suits us first.

That's a valid point, however the Storm may not need to be free up cap space like we do or go through a cleanout/rebuilding phase, so the situations may not be entirely comparable.

If we traded some of the players we have let go rather than release them, the salary cap relief would be significantly less and it would be harder to retain our young and very talented forwards coming through.

That's a valid point, however the Storm may not need to be free up cap space like we do or go through a cleanout/rebuilding phase, so the situations may not be entirely comparable.

If we traded some of the players we have let go rather than release them, the salary cap relief would be significantly less and it would be harder to retain our young and very talented forwards coming through.
The Storm are actually in a rebuild right now, but the thing is they have new players ready for every old player that leaves/retires.
Slater-Hughes
Cronk- Croft
Smith-BSmith
Then they also have Papenhuyzen and Drinkwater and that young hooker who I forgot his name.
They make it look so seamless because they have thought it through years in advance
[automerge]1559952345[/automerge]
Jensen would be a good pick up, I feel he has been mismanaged at the Cows.

Seems to be a bit like Mago

Last edited:
A friendly reminder that if the conversation continues to head towards a discussion on religion, please take it to the Religion thread.

This thread is for discussing potential Broncos player movements.
Uuuffff l did not realise the old dead sea scrolls thread is open again. How exciting.

Jensen would be a good pick up, I feel he has been mismanaged at the Cows.
Another junior mismanaged by Green. Very glad we didn't get him as our coach. He shows little faith in anyone under 25 years old it feels like sometimes. Fensom and tagataese would have liked him as a coach though haha
[automerge]1559954639[/automerge]
The Storm are actually in a rebuild right now, but the thing is they have new players ready for every old player that leaves/retires.
Slater-Hughes
Cronk- Croft
Smith-BSmith
Then they also have Papenhuyzen and Drinkwater and that young hooker who I forgot his name.
They make it look so seamless because they have thought it through years in advance
[automerge]1559952345[/automerge]

Seems to be a bit like Mago
It will not be seamless.
The one thing they have at the moment that is making it appear that way is c Smith is still playing.
Croft hasn't lived upto expectations yet I feel, and they picked Hughes initially for the fullback spot with drinkwater second pick (fair enough at the time) injury got papanh in and he looks the best option so they don't always get it right.
With c Smith in your team you could runout the ipswich under 12s spine and they'd look OK. Not saying their structures and talent there isn't good, just that we will only know for sure a little bit after c Smith retires I believe e

Last edited:
Another junior mismanaged by Green. Very glad we didn't get him as our coach. He shows little faith in anyone under 25 years old it feels like sometimes. Fensom and tagataese would have liked him as a coach though haha
[automerge]1559954639[/automerge]

It will not be seamless.
The one thing they have at the moment that is making it appear that way is c Smith is still playing.
Croft hasn't lived upto expectations yet I feel, and they picked Hughes initially for the fullback spot with drinkwater second pick (fair enough at the time) injury got papanh in and he looks the best option so they don't always get it right.
With c Smith in your team you could runout the ipswich under 12s spine and they'd look OK. Not saying their structures and talent there isn't good, just that we will only know for sure a little bit after c Smith retires I believe e

Ippy U/12's would be carving up haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • simplythebest
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • Behold
  • broncoscope
  • Tim K
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • barker
  • Fatboy
  • Griffo
  • broncotville
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • I bleed Maroon
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncosAlways
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.