Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seibold: I was never going to sack Mac

PETER BADEL JUNE 27, 2019

Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold has thrown his support behind Andrew McCullough, hitting out at speculation the veteran hooker will be the sixth Bronco offloaded as part of his Red Hill purge.

Speaking for the first time about McCullough’s future at the Broncos, Seibold revealed he has no plans to trade the axed Maroons rake as he prepares for Saturday night’s clash against the Knights in Newcastle.

And Seibold is going on a retention spree, agreeing to McCullough activating a 12-month option, rejecting the Cowboys’ request to sign Sean O’Sullivan and securing young gun Cory Paix to a two-year upgrade.

Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold has thrown his support behind Andrew McCullough, hitting out at speculation the veteran hooker will be the sixth Bronco offloaded as part of his Red Hill purge.

Speaking for the first time about McCullough’s future at the Broncos, Seibold revealed he has no plans to trade the axed Maroons rake as he prepares for Saturday night’s clash against the Knights in Newcastle.

And Seibold is going on a retention spree, agreeing to McCullough activating a 12-month option, rejecting the Cowboys’ request to sign Sean O’Sullivan and securing young gun Cory Paix to a two-year upgrade.
So no quotes,

Jake Turpin must make tough call on potential move to the Warriors
The Brisbane Broncos are under siege from NRL rivals the Warriors with the New Zealand club making a secret play for hooker Jake Turpin in a $1.2 million poaching raid on Red Hill.
Blindside can reveal Matt Lodge is not the only Bronco on the Warriors’ hit list, with the Kiwi outfit also tabling an offer for Turpin as Brisbane continue to battle salary-cap pressures.
cbe4b37c222a3cfee8dff0146b4dd71a
Jake Turpin is in the crosshairs of the New Zealand Warriors. Picture: AAP Image/Dan Peled
Warriors coach Steve Kearney, who once worked at Red Hill as an assistant to Wayne Bennett, secured Kodi Nikorima from the Broncos six weeks ago and now he is eyeing off a Turpin-Lodge package deal.
It is understood the Warriors have offered Lodge $1 million a season, while they are prepared to pay more than $200,000 annually for Turpin. That would represent a major pay rise for Turpin, who was on around $70,000 at the start of the season and wasn’t even in Brisbane’s top 30 full-time squad.
f4e452de8cdb2b6cb6e9f6b9ed0429f9
Matt Lodge is also being targetted by the Warriors. Picture: AAP Image/Dan Peled
Turpin’s rise this season has suddenly given the off-contract hooker some options.
The Broncos are keen to keep the 22-year-old but the Bulldogs and Warriors have both tabled more attractive offers for the Ipswich product.
The conundrum for the Broncos is the massive left-field approach from the Warriors for Lodge.
Brisbane are desperate to retain their chief enforcer but the Warriors’ mega bidmeans they will now have to stretch their salary cap to prevent Lodge leaving, which could influence how much they can afford to pay Turpin.
Turpin’s preference is to stay at the Broncos but if he wants a better payday, he may have to look at the Bulldogs or Warriors.

If we lose Turpin...

But if it's true that we do have salary cap pressures, then that explains the clean out.

Well Macca has successfully stifled career of yet another promising young #9 at the broncos. Yee ha

In Boyd's case there is no replacement in the club, at least no fit replacement (since Bird is injured)

If I understand the NRL correctly, I believe players are willing to exchange their skills and abilities on the park in return for some form of currency...

I believe therefore that it might be possible for the Brisbane Broncos to purchase a player who can play fullback, besides Darius Boyd, if they are not capable of developing one (seemingly impossible as we had to buy Boyd as well...)

Unfortunately, when the new coach starts in December, he can do little in the way of recruiting for the next season as there are no quality players available

Plenty of players capable of playing fullback have traded or re-signed since December last year and we haven’t signed one of them. Seemingly we haven’t even tried. Now we might not have been able to sign RTS, Teddy, Ponga or Turbo Tommy, but that doesn’t mean we were unable to sign someone who could ‘do a job’ in the role, which would look like a pretty bloody big upgrade, right about now...

$1mill for Lodge, surely not.
I thought April 1 had come and gone..

Just lost a lot of faith in Seibold after that.

EDIT: That's assuming it's not fake news. Macca did have an option in his favour.

Last edited:
I was very disappointed reading that macca story because to me its indicating that we have given up on this year and are indeed in a rebuilding stage which to me is just BS.
I'm starting to waiver on Seibold, that's not to say that I think we should have kept WB either but there is definatly something going on at the club.
Hopefully the plan becomes clear soon.

Last edited:
I was very disappointed reading that macca story because to me its indicating that we have given up on this year and are indeed in a rebuilding stage which to me is just BS.
I'm starting to waiver on Seibold, that's not to say that I think we should have kept WB either but there is definatly something going on at the club.
Hopefully the plan becomes clear soon.

Players move on... lets look at it this way... have we lost anyone that we should have kept? Have we lost anyone who would be making a positive difference to the playing roster right now other than depth or same shit different day?

We can talk about who should go till the cows come home, the reality is Siebs is cutting dead weight, letting players leave that either are same shit different day ( Nikorima ), not performing asking for a release as the easy out ( Su'a and Roberts ) or Don't fit with the values of the club ( McGuire the grub ).

I honestly think letting The likes of McCullough and Glenn leave right now would be devastating to our young forwards. We need their experience in the pack.

My 2020 line up with no signings

1. Anthony Milford
2. Corey Oates
3. Darius Boyd
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Corey Paix
7. Thomas Dearden
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Jack Bird
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai Junior
17. Joe Ofahengaue

18. Andrew McCullough
19. Alex Glenn
20. Patrick Carrigan
21. Richard Kennar

Players move on... lets look at it this way... have we lost anyone that we should have kept? Have we lost anyone who would be making a positive difference to the playing roster right now other than depth or same shit different day?

We can talk about who should go till the cows come home, the reality is Siebs is cutting dead weight, letting players leave that either are same shit different day ( Nikorima ), not performing asking for a release as the easy out ( Su'a and Roberts ) or Don't fit with the values of the club ( McGuire the grub ).

I honestly think letting The likes of McCullough and Glenn leave right now would be devastating to our young forwards. We need their experience in the pack.
Yeah Im fully aware of all that. What I'm saying is the players obviously are fully aware that with the churn in our squad it means it's a rebuilding year.
How can a player be expected to be playing for a premiership when the coach isn't expecting it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Galah
  • Skathen
  • ell.d33
  • Porthoz
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.