Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2019

kooly87

NYC Player
because he is over-rated
I disagree. I think the Melbourne game plan is strangling the life out of his game. Cam Smith seems determined to be the Halfback as well as the Dummy Half and it's leaving Croft isolated a lot of the time. I reckon if you stuck Tom Dearden in the #7 jersey at Melbourne he'd get the same treatment and I don't consider him overrated, I just think the Melbourne game plan right now is all about Smith.

Last edited:

Kelleher

NYC Player
I disagree. I think the Melbourne game plan is strangling the life out of his game. Cam Smith seems determined to be the Halfback as well as the Dummy Half and it's leaving Croft isolated a lot of the time. I reckon if you stuck Tom Dearden in the #7 jersey at Melbourne he'd get the same treatment and I don't consider him overrated, I just think the Melbourne game plan right now is all about Smith.
100% agree! I think we would have been a better team with Croft in our side. He is a natural game manager at such a young age and unfortunately he cannot foster that at Melbourne with Smith etc. He would have had the maturity and football smarts to lead our forwards better than what we have had this year in my opinion. With the upcoming youngsters we have coming through, I do not think we would be able to buy Croft, but i wish we had of tried to keep him when we had him with us. His defence can be a little iffy at times, but i like him ball in hand.

Tstev92

QCup Player
That’s still not a no just means something would have to give. He’s a big talker, wants to run the team and is from melbourne’s system that suits Seibold’s requirements. Hasn’t had the best year and his defence is a concern but he’s shown a lot of potential

Alec

International Rep
I'd take a punt on him. He probably wouldn't demand big money, give him a couple of years to show what's he's got. But probably can't with Boyd and Bird taking up major money.

Allo

NRL Captain
lol like Garry would know. He's just sticking to the industry standard so if we do sign him the perpetual outrage can continue. Then again there probably are no whispers, it's probably just something he made up or read on a forum somewhere.
He’s one of the few germo-s that are pretty reliable and don’t make up shit for the sake of it. Hopefully he can keep himself away from that. Not saying he’s gospel, but he’s at least better than just about all the rest.

Still not sure how I feel about Croft. Like what’s been said, he’s overrated ... or is he? It would be pointless getting him unless we don’t move Milford back to 6. Which is another angle I’m not sold on ( him at fullback). We won’t know what this team can do until we have two proper halves and a good fullback.

Alec

International Rep
He’s one of the few germo-s that are pretty reliable and don’t make up shit for the sake of it. Hopefully he can keep himself away from that. Not saying he’s gospel, but he’s at least better than just about all the rest.

Still not sure how I feel about Croft. Like what’s been said, he’s overrated ... or is he? It would be pointless getting him unless we don’t move Milford back to 6. Which is another angle I’m not sold on ( him at fullback). We won’t know what this team can do until we have two proper halves and a good fullback.
If the keep Milf at fullback, I hope it's a proper fullback role, not the half and half shit they have him doing now. The couple of times they ran the 2nd man play with him against the Bulldogs, he set up one and scored another.
Maybe with an experienced half, there won't be a need for him to hang around just waiting for the 5th.

Last edited:

Fernando

NRL Player
Bris
It'd be nice to have his pace, support play (for once) and field goals. Don't know if he does any of the other stuff better than Deardon/SOS though.

Last edited:

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Canberra Raiders poach young Brisbane Broncos forward
September 12, 2019

THE Canberra Raiders have secured the services of a Brisbane Broncos ”workhorse” after signing the young star forward to a three-year deal earlier this week.

Australian Schoolboys front-rower Jayden ‘JJ’ Clarkson, who was one of the dominant players at the recent National Schools Championships, made the switch to Canberra after two seasons under contract with the Broncos.

The 17-year-old had offers from three NRL clubs, including Brisbane, but would have been stuck behind a plethora of young forwards such as Payne Haas, Tevita Pangai Jr, David Fifita and more if he remained at Red Hill.

JJ Clarkson and the Queensland Schoolboys team after winning the National Championship.
JJ Clarkson and the Queensland Schoolboys team after winning the National Championship.
After developing his skills in the Wynnum Manly Seagulls Academy, at Redlands Junior Rugby League and at Wavell State High School, Clarkson believed moving to the Raiders was the best decision for his future.

“They (Canberra) are really good at developing their young talent and have a good reputation in this area,” his mum, Sharon Clarkson, said.

“He had offers from three clubs but Canberra just had a better offer than the other ones.

“He’s really looking forward to it, obviously it was a tough decision to move away from home, but we think it’s the best move for his career.”

Wynnum Manly Seagulls Academy manager Glen Dreger. Picture: AAP/Richard Walker

Wynnum Manly Seagulls Academy manager Glen Dreger. Picture: AAP/Richard Walker
Wynnum Manly Seagulls Academy development manager Glen Dreger said Clarkson had the potential similar to that of Broncos powerhouse Matt Lodge.

“I think that’s the closest comparison for Jayden,” he said.

“He gets through a lot of work, he has a great motor and just continues to work the entire game. He doesn’t need much rest at all.

“Obviously it would have been great to see him stay at the Broncos but that’s the way it goes. Brisbane have a very good young nucleus of forwards there so there may not be as much opportunity. Brisbane can’t sign them all.

“But I think he has got a long career ahead of him.”

kooly87

NYC Player
lol like Garry would know. He's just sticking to the industry standard so if we do sign him the perpetual outrage can continue. Then again there probably are no whispers, it's probably just something he made up or read on a forum somewhere.
Chris Garry is one of the better ones to be fair. He's usually pretty evenhanded and balanced in his coverage of the Broncos and seems to be about as 'on the money' as any journalist really can be these days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter