Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe stays right by Sofi’s side after breast cancer diagnosis
1234061acfa8ab784308f026e639ca1b

THERE is no part of battling cancer that is ever “easy”.
But for Sofi Leota, 23, every hurdle since she was diagnosed with Grade 3 breast cancer has been made less daunting thanks to her positive mindset and the unwavering presence of her boyfriend, Broncos forward Joe Ofahengaue.
Together they have dealt with Sofi stopping work, going through the removal of her right breast, losing her hair and pushing through numerous rounds of chemotherapy.
And together, they also made the decision to fight for the future of their own family by undergoing IVF.
0eb219589bd2cae6d67dcc974c915b1b

Joe Ofahengaue and Sofi Leota are facing her fight with Grade 3 breast cancer together. Picture: Tara Croser
In an in-depth interview with The Courier-Mail, Sofi has opened about up about her treatment, the support she has received and why it is so important to tell her story.
PLAYING FOR KEEPS
Ofahengaue, who made his NRL debut with the Broncos in 2015, first revealed that his girlfriend of seven years had been diagnosed with breast cancer in early May.
Just hours after scoring the winning try against the Bulldogs in Round 9, he told The Courier-Mail the stunning play was a tribute to Sofi.
As the Broncos prepare for a knockout final against St George Illawarra tomorrow, Ofahengaue revealed how his life has changed since then.
“I’m playing for something more than just footy,” he said.
“I’m playing for my future and Sofi’s future as well.”
Since Sofi received her diagnosis on April 24, she has undergone a mastectomy of her right breast, had lymph nodes removed and endured multiple rounds of chemotherapy, with more still to go.
5f8018e7d060ec0e42a9433f435f2d3a

Joe Ofahengaue and Sofi Leota are determined to have a family despite facing serious adversity.
She also underwent two rounds of IVF.
“I want to have kids one day and so does Joe,” she said.
“It was a bit funny (talking to Ofahengaue). We’ve been together for seven years, but we’re not married.
“It was a matter of, do we make these babies and have them sitting there ready to go? But he was just as into it as I was.
“He was at every appointment, asking all these questions … It was a very easy conversation with him.
“We’ve spoken about having a family before. There’s no questions there.”
5dc4dc9af96a53650c7eea649edab70f

Joe Ofahengaue celebrates with team mates after scoring a try against the Titans in round 17. Picture: Getty
The pair underwent IVF treatment before Sofi began chemotherapy in June.
She could still conceive children naturally, but it was a back-up option they wanted to have for their future.
The first round didn’t produce the results they hoped for, but the second produced four embryos and seven eggs.
“When we decide to have our kids, they’re ready,” she said.
THE TOUGHEST TIMES
While taking up the option of IVF was a simple decision, the couple have certainly endured some tough times.
Sofi is naturally positive. From the moment she received her diagnosis, she approached every hurdle with an attitude of, “I can’t change what’s happening so I may as well embrace it”.
But even while she tried not to dwell on the difficult moments, she is still human.
Sofi said the first hurdle came on April 24 when she was told she needed a mastectomy. She made the decision with Ofahengaue and her parents John and Brooke and called it a “no-brainer”.
But hours later, she had a moment of doubt.
“I changed my mind,” she said. “My biggest thing was, I’m a chick. I need my boobs.
“I did come around pretty quickly in the end. It was going to save my life.”
84c63a5f1930bd3a0c20a4330e2d9eb6

Sofi Leota days before she underwent a mastectomy.
It was the right call for Sofi, but she said “being stripped” of her right breast and her hair has been the toughest part.
She said the effects of chemotherapy were minor. But giving up work, losing financial independence and accepting her new image had been hard.
“It’s being stripped of everything I’ve embodied,” she said. “I’ve always taken pride in my appearance. Having a mastectomy and losing my hair and not feeling great all of the time’s been really hard.
“It’s the small things like missing out on dinners with girlfriends because I’m too sick or not being able to work and have that independent stability which I am so used to.”
SUPPORT SYSTEMS
Sofi has been positive throughout, but knows she could not coped without her family.
Her parents have been by her side while younger brother Riley, an Intrust Super Cup player with Norths, sends her inspirational messages daily.
She has moved into Ofahengaue’s family home, supported by his parents Josh and Kath. And she has Ofahengaue.
The pair met at Ipswich’s St Peter Claver College.
351e03b22a2ff4467733bf52fa57b469

The loving pair met at while at school in Ipswich.
She always knew he would be there for her, but he has still managed to surprise her.
“It’s brought us a lot closer,” she said. “He’s been positive and supportive and dealing with my random outbursts and hormonal freak-outs. He’s a lot more patient than I am. I don’t know how I would be if I was in his situation.
“If I ask for something, he’ll get up straight away and do it. He hasn’t complained the whole time. He does everything, no questions asked. If I have a cry, he’ll sit there and tell me it’s going to be all right. It’s been special.”
SOFI’S MESSAGE
Once her treatment ends, Sofi has three major goals. Most important is to be cancer-free and healthy, then she wants to get back to work and, finally, to have her former life back.
In the meantime, she has a blog, “23 and Breastless” and is using it and Instagram to raise awareness of breast cancer.
“When people go through something so crazy or difficult, they usually have a big epiphany,” she said.
“They say everything happens for a reason so why was I chosen to go down this path?
“Maybe it is just me getting this story out there and raising awareness and telling chicks to feel their boobs … maybe … I can help save someone’s life.”
https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...s/news-story/dd19d93b4acfe94b598c3af036dd7106

Last edited:
I can't see Joe uprooting his life to go to another club with his girlfriend in such a state. Plus she will continue to get much better medical care in Brisbane than she will up north.

I can't see Joe uprooting his life to go to another club with his girlfriend in such a state. Plus she will continue to get much better medical care in Brisbane than she will up north.

Why will she get better medical care in Brisbane? Can you back that up? Seems an odd statement to me. Townsville has a fantastic treatment facility thats recently been expended for cancer patients.

The main benefit of staying where they are ( which i think they will anyway ) is her family and support network down here, she would still get fantastic treatment either in Brissy or Townsville.

Last edited:
Why will she get better medical care in Brisbane? Can you back that up? Seems an odd statement to me. Townsville has a fantastic treatment facility thats recently been expended for cancer patients.

The main benefit of staying where they are ( which i think they will anyway ) is her family and support network down here, she would still get fantastic treatment either in Brissy or Townsville.

It would be a low act for the cowboys to use the lure of a fantastic treatment facility to get him on board. A bit emperor Palpatine like

I really cant see any of these young guys leaving to be honest.
I wouldn't be surprised if they havent made a pact with each other to stick together and create something special.... kind of lime what the Manly players did years ago.

He's responding to Glenn being out of the team.

It would be a low act for the cowboys to use the lure of a fantastic treatment facility to get him on board. A bit emperor Palpatine like

Dont think there has been any suggestion they would do that. I was just making the point they have fine facilities up there as well

I will admit that I do not know the medical facilities in Townsville but I honestly struggle to believe they would be better than Brisbane. That just doesn’t make sense.

I will admit that I do not know the medical facilities in Townsville but I honestly struggle to believe they would be better than Brisbane. That just doesn’t make sense.
He never said the treatment was better in Townsville ... Just that they had "fantastic" treatment facilities ...

And it actually makes perfect sense that they have quality facilities in Townsville ... You can't expect everyone with cancer in Queensland to make the trip to Brisbane for treatment. You would need some good facilities up north ... And our second biggest city would be an ideal location

Must admit i dont get that. The only real difference i could see is that there may be more options. The facility up in Townsville is as good as anything we have down here.

Makes complete sense for Cows to be hunting Joey O.

Bennett rates him less than Lodge, TPJ and McGuire.

Matthew Scott will be retiring in the next year or two.

8. Joe Ofahengaue
10. Jordan McLean
13. Jason Taumalolo

Try running over the top of those three.. wouldn't happen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.