Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kahu never really lived up to his early hype. I know injury played a big role and to me his best season was 2015 playing at fullback while Boyd was injured. All the best to him wherever he goes.

Kahu never really lived up to his early hype. I know injury played a big role and to me his best season was 2015 playing at fullback while Boyd was injured. All the best to him wherever he goes.
I think he is still a very adequate winger. Safe under the high ball and whilst he's not a meter eating workhorse he will take hit ups. His kick returns are always run pretty hard as well.

As a center he drops straight to mediocre... unable to break the line or even trouble it and his defence is very suspect.

IMO the reason we’ve kept Kahu so long is because he is an exceptional club man and has always pushed himself to be the best man he can be. Even if that influence slightly rubs off on some of the other players, eg, Oates, so they appreciate what they have, his time here has been worth it.

If you take out names and reputations and just look at how Kahu plays at centre in comparison to Staggs.. Staggs makes him look like the second grader all of a sudden.

Absolutely agree, but the problem I am worried about is the wing. As others mentioned one of my examples Purcell currently isn't even signed to us, meaning an injury to a winger would result in us having to reshuffle the backline or put someone in an unfamiliar position. I don't see much harm is us keeping Kahu for this year, except for the fact that you mentioned that Kahu would be picked for center before Staggs.

Last edited:
Our side needs a little consistency and a halfback that can kick Milford has too much weight on his shoulders and everyone knows who it is going to put Nikorima on the bench and put cory Paix or Sean O'Sullivan at halfback no real need to sign new players

Our side needs a little consistency and a halfback that can kick Milford has too much weight on his shoulders and everyone knows who it is going to put Nikorima on the bench and put cory Paix or Sean O'Sullivan at halfback no real need to sign new players

have you even seen Paix play at ISC level before

Interesting to see who we sign to fill up the squad. Losing a lot, a few current members remain unsigned. Hopefully we pick up some handy depth.

I got a migraine reading this. Do the right thing and include commas and periods.

He hasn’t played ISC. Colts for Norths and Reserve grade for Wests.

that was my point ...

it is unfair on the kid and also unrealistic to expect him to go from Colts to the NRL in the space of 1 pre-season

Interesting to see who we sign to fill up the squad. Losing a lot, a few current members remain unsigned. Hopefully we pick up some handy depth.

If Kahu goes, we are beginning to look awfully short in the backs imo.

Senior Broncos players offered to take $10,000 pay cuts to keep Corey Oates at the club
1342a00d0f570ef317f97a7fef45c053

A GROUP of senior Broncos players were so keen for the club to re-sign winger Corey Oates they offered to take $10,000 pay cuts.
The plan was knocked back by the NRL as it was against salary cap rules, but the move reveals a strong spirit in the club despite the speculation about coach Wayne Bennett’s future.
Though Oates has not publicly declared his future, The Courier-Mail revealed last week he has all but agreed to stay at the Broncos on a multi-year contract of about $500,000 a season.
Oates fielded a host of superior financial offers from rival clubs and there was several times in the negotiation process he appeared more chance of leaving the club than staying with the Broncos constrained by severe salary cap pressure.
ab5be5145afbc3766db5f8f198678931

Corey Oates has reportedly agreed to a multi-year deal to stay at Red Hill. Picture: AAP
Several teammates were concerned he could be lost to the club and offered to dig into their own pockets to help Oates stay and the Broncos remain under the cap.
While the Broncos had a disappointing season after being eliminated in the second week of the play-offs, the players feel they are not far away from the premiership that has remained tantalisingly out of reach since the club’s last title in 2006.
BUZZ: International footy can challenge Origin
DONE DEAL: Manly to announce Hasler signing

It is not unprecedented for a group of players to take a collective pay cut if they can see the greater glory of a premiership approaching.
The Brisbane Lions team who won three successive premierships last decade could have pocketed more money elsewhere but many took unders to stay at the club.
Coach Leigh Matthews once agreed to take a pay cut to be part of this theme and pointed out that many years down the track the players would be thankful they sacrificed money if it meant winning a title.
f37f5956fa1a2d74b9159a3832af8c70

The move shows a spirit between the playing group. Picture: AAP
Broncos coach Bennett has told the players he will see out the last year of his contract with the Broncos next season but the acid test of his word may come in the next two weeks.
Penrith have been tipped to lure Wests coach Ivan Cleary back to the foot of the mountains, which would be the Tigers could make a play for Bennett for next season.
Bennett is believed to be the Tigers’ priority choice ahead of current New Zealand coach Michael Maguire.
The coaching brew is also spiced up by a Broncos play for Souths coach Anthony Seibold to follow Bennett at Red Hill.
If Seibold is lured north for the 2020 season Souths may ask him to leave immediately which could bring Bennett into play for a direct swap.
The Rabbitohs could be a more appealing destination for Bennett than the Tigers because they appear closer to a premiership.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...b/news-story/d3dff008460e083809ff0becc58b22b4

Last edited:
If Kahu goes, we are beginning to look awfully short in the backs imo.

Brian Kelly is off-contract no? I'm a huge fan of his potential, a centre pairing of Kelly & Roberts would be super dangerous. Would mean that Bird would have to play Five-Eighth / Lock though.

Darius Boyd
Jamayne Isaako
James Roberts
Kotoni Staggs
Corey Oates
Jack Bird
Gehamat Shibasaki
Herbie Farnworth
Fanitesi Niu
Xavier Coates
Ioane Seiuli
Jack Paterson

Is how the Broncos backlines stocks are shaping up if Kahu leaves the club.

Or at least that's the unofficial version. With the way things are shaping, the Broncos have 8 spots on the roster the roster, 3 of which can't have played NRL before.

Last edited:
Brian Kelly is off-contract no? I'm a huge fan of his potential, a centre pairing of Kelly & Roberts would be super dangerous. Would mean that Bird would have to play Five-Eighth / Lock though.

I think its probably more wing for me. We are only going to be left with Oates ( if he actually signs ) and Issako, plus Farnworth i'd say.

Not sure about Kelly's contract situation. I think with Roberts, Shibasaki, Staggs and Bird i think as long as we dont get an injury crisis cant see why we would need him, but he is an exciting footballer. Its going to be interesting to see if Birds Sternum can handle lock because i still think its where we got him in for.

Thinking about it, Kelly could actually be a good option. Staggs for me still needs a lot of work on his defence. I dont think it will be an issue for him, but i'm not sure he is going to be reliable for a whole season, he is still very young.

IMO the reason we’ve kept Kahu so long is because he is an exceptional club man and has always pushed himself to be the best man he can be. Even if that influence slightly rubs off on some of the other players, eg, Oates, so they appreciate what they have, his time here has been worth it.

Would rather some athletic ability and physical attributes on the wing over what you have mentioned.

2018 Grand Final wingers

Blake Ferguson
Daniel Tupou
Suliasi Vunivalu
Josh Addo Carr

Isaako and Oates were good this year.

Remains to be seen where Isaako's long term position is. Could be fullback, wing or centre. Maybe even 6?

Would like to see us sign a big winger for a bargain price as depth and flexibility for the backline.

Still waiting for the day we produce a Vunivalu or Radradra

Would rather some athletic ability and physical attributes on the wing over what you have mentioned.

2018 Grand Final wingers

Blake Ferguson
Daniel Tupou
Suliasi Vunivalu
Josh Addo Carr

Isaako and Oates were good this year.

Remains to be seen where Isaako's long term position is. Could be fullback, wing or centre. Maybe even 6?

Would like to see us sign a big winger for a bargain price as depth and flexibility for the backline.

Still waiting for the day we produce a Vunivalu or Radradra

We were the catalyst for big islander wingers, yet have seemingly produced or signed none of note since Dell and Lote.

We were the catalyst for big islander wingers, yet have seemingly produced or signed none of note since Dell and Lote.

Oates is very much a throw back to Del, he just doesn’t happen to be an islander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Dash
  • kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.