Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors have said they won’t be going to market for a half. They’ll either promote from within or play Hiku in the halves.

Johnson money to be used to bolster pack.

Wow Hiku in the halves. Sounds ghastly.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...k=4df289b05d54d77c2ecbd9f9e9d4d6ec-1543888846

Anthony Seibold won’t rule out letting Broncos players go or raiding South Sydney

Anthony Seibold doesn’t fear Wayne Bennett will lure Broncos players to Redfern, but refused to rule out launching his own poaching raid on the Rabbitohs.
Seibold took over the reins at the Broncos on Monday after Bennett’s 25-year association with Brisbane ended with his dramatic sacking on Sunday.
Bennett, 68, has forged a 40-year coaching career on his ability to create bonds with players and lure stars to play under him.
Tevita Pangai Jr left Canberra to be coached by Bennett while the seven-time NRL premiership winner resurrected the career of prop Matt Lodge in the face of adversity last season.
During the longwinded coach swap circus, Bennett boldly warned the Broncos that certain players at the club were only there because of him.
Whether that translates to Broncos stars heading to South Sydney with Bennett remains to be seen, but Seibold isn’t holding his breath.
“That’s an individual’s decision,” he said.
“Everyone has got a right to make a decision that suits them best.
“Broncos is a really strong club. Traditionally it’s always been a very popular club for players to play at.
“Players will make their own minds up about what they want to do. I can’t control that.”
Seibold, 44, will inherit one of the NRL’s hottest young playing rosters, chock full of emerging talent and the potential to deliver Brisbane its first NRL title since 2006.
But the second-year NRL coach will also look to put his stamp on the club and is expected to be active in the player market over the next year.
South Sydney’s NSW Origin hooker Damien Cook has already been linked to the Broncos, however the Rabbitohs are desperate to lock him up.
Seibold dodged questions about whether he would raid the Rabbitohs, but insisted he left Redfern on good terms with his playing group.
“I spoke to all the (Rabbitohs) players (Sunday) night on the phone. I had a really positive working relationship with the players,” he said.
“One thing I try to do is establish strong relationships with the group. I’ve got a really transparent relationship with the players.
“They are always tough phone calls when you’re saying goodbye to people.
“They were a really good group to work with but I’m excited about this next challenge.”
While the Broncos’ squad is highly rated, Seibold said talent alone would not be enough to win the club’s seventh title.
“There is certainly a lot of talent in the group here,” he said.
“When I’ve coached against the Broncos in 2018, they played particularly well.
“Some of the younger players have got a lot of ability but talent will only take you so far.
“I’m a big believer in the effort areas of our game. That’s what I need to make the players accountable to.
“The senior players will make those players accountable. The senior guys are a big part of what I do.”

Poach Cook, Anthony. Do ett.

If we can't get a decent half out of Nikorima, Milford, T Boyd, Paix, Deardon, Dargan or O'Sullivan then then issue lies somewhere else. I'm happy we have Seibs as I think our attack is going to go to another level.

Getting an overpaid whinger in Moses won't help much and would only be a stop gap til one of the young blokes progresses.

Last edited:
Talk on social media of Lodge signing a contract extension sometime this morning....

Just waiting on you, TPJ...

Lodge Thanks Members As He Locks In Two More Years

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/12/06/lodge-thanks-members-as-he-locks-in-two-more-years/

Emerging prop Matt Lodge has credited Brisbane Broncos members and supporters as a major factor in re-signing with the club for another two years.
The 23-y-o has committed to at least the end of 2020 after a stellar comeback season in which he finished runner-up in the Paul Morgan Medal for Broncos' Player of the Year, just one vote behind winner Anthony Milford.
Lodge also won the Best Forward award after playing 25 games in 2018 and averaging 130 metres run per game, as well as 23 tackles and 11 hit-ups, plus 55 tackle breaks across the season.

Lodge made a point of thanking the [HASHTAG]#Bronxnation[/HASHTAG] for standing by him after a tough start to the season.
"Thank you for getting behind me – it was a massive part of why I made the decision to stay in Brisbane," Lodge told Broncos members and fans on broncos.com.au.
"We think we owe something to them and we're working hard to bring back what everyone wants.
"It's good to have some stability, I've made the decision to stay up in Brisbane and I'm happy with that decision and looking to put in some work with the group that we've got coming through to achieve what we all want.
"I'll always respect Wayne (Bennett) for giving me the chance to come back... but we're moving on now and we've got a new coach in Seibs (Anthony Seibold), training has changed and we've all on board with that and we're excited at what the future holds."

Lodge, who has a big focus on working in the Broncos' community programs, said becoming a father last year to son Coby with partner Jess had given him added responsibility and perspective.

"It's awesome – he just turned one a few weeks ago and he's running amok but I love it," said Lodge.
Brisbane Broncos CEO Paul White said: "Matt continues to work on every aspect of his life both on and off the field, and he knows he has our full backing as he travels along that road.
"He has taken some big strides this year through his dedication and hard work. We applaud what he has achieved and we welcome what is to come in the years ahead."

Lol at the meltdowns in the comments. I wonder how many are Souths fans mad that Bennett didn't bring any one of Lodge, Oates, or TPJ (they were all expecting at least one, some were gloating that they'd get all three)?

And that’s the trifecta

Broncos stars Tevita Pangai Jr, Matt Lodge sign new deals

Update: Brisbane have completed their $2 million retention spree with blockbusting forward Tevita Pangai Jr formally signing a new deal with the Broncos.
Pangai Jr’s Broncos cohort Matt Lodge completed his remarkable NRL resurrection by inking a two-year upgrade, his extension rubber-stamped just 24 hours after winger Corey Oates signed a 12-month deal.
Now Pangai Jr is the final big-name top-liner to finalise his future. The Broncos are expected to announce a one-year deal for the Tongan international as early as Friday.
A short-term contract still leaves Pangai Jr open to being poached by Wayne Bennett at Souths for the 2020 season, but Lodge is confident his good mate will remain at Red Hill for the long haul.
f4a8c88e656446d33568a386af582140

Matt Lodge has committed to the Broncos for two extra years. Picture: Annette Dew
“Tevita won’t leave, he will be here, I won’t let him go,” said Lodge, who is tied to the Broncos until the end of 2020.
“I won’t be urging him to leave, that’s for sure.
“Tevita can be a freak.
“It’s good that I am close with him because we just have to work on being consistent on the field next season.
“We get together off the field and it helps us stay on track. We need to step up even more next year with guys like Josh McGuire and Sam Thaiday leaving.
“If we have a dud season (in 2019), it won’t be good.”
06083eab7cdb6584dc23faf99b93165f

Matt Lodge talks to new Broncos coach Anthony Seibold at training.
Pangai Jr played 22 games last season and produced some barnstorming performances that saw him labelled Brisbane’s version of Cowboys wrecking ball Jason Taumalolo.
But he was also left frustrated by a series of hamstring injuries which have prompted the 22-year-old to undergo intensive off-season rehabilitation to strengthen his frame.
The 113kg forward held talks with Newcastle coach Nathan Brown just a month before the NRL finals, but said last month he never seriously considered quitting the Broncos.
“I looked at the Newcastle set-up but it was a curiosity thing,” he said while holidaying in America.
“I am from Newcastle and my best mates are there, so naturally I was keen to look at their set-up.
“They are going to be a strong club in the next few years so they were attractive, but I feel like I can play my best football at the Broncos.”
74ff9992b1c37b69edcdaaf0f44d2462

Lodge hopes Pangai’s bond is too strong to break. (Albert Perez/Getty Images)
If any player was tipped to follow Bennett out of Red Hill, it was Lodge.
When the prop was banned from the code for two years following his alcohol-fuelled episode while holidaying in America, it was Bennett who threw him a lifeline with a basic Broncos contract.
Lodge will always be indebted to Bennett’s mentoring, but says he couldn’t walk away from a Broncos club that rallied around him during a firestorm of criticism over his NRL registration earlier this season.
“It (a new contract) is something I’ve worked towards for a long time,” he said.
“I wasn’t ready to leave Brisbane. I’m glad I’m here and I can keep working hard.
“I took the coaching situation out of it. Brisbane got behind me, the fans and members and we have a good group of people here.
“It’s not just the coach (Bennett), everyone from the top of the club to the bottom has helped me out a lot.
“I took that into account.
60ce64b1b30bec15a53757d25fa5e05d

ed453137d160c639505d05e65a1026dd

Origin game two in Perth 2019
“I definitely feel welcome here. (Queensland) is not my home, Sydney is my home, all my family are down there, but I’m willing to sacrifice living away from them because I enjoy being up here and the squad we have at the Broncos.”
Lodge said the darkest moment of his life in New York three years ago has made him appreciate his upgraded Broncos deal.
“I just believe once you have nothing, you appreciate everything that comes your way,” he said.
“I am very grateful for the contract and the opportunity to play on.
“This time 12 months ago, I didn’t have a pre-season because I had to go down to Sydney for some family stuff.
“It’s good to come back with a fresh year and hopefully get some new results.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...t/news-story/331411fd05aea2681e189ed5eab0f1f8

Last edited:
Based on that I would say TPJ is playing prop next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Fitzy
  • Stix
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • Battler
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.