Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
he wasn't on a deal sizable enough to cost us Arrow.

the club rated Carrigan, which is why they weren't getting into a bidding war with the Titans for Arrow, (who offered him overs at the time).

As good as Arrow is, the jury is still out on that decision.
If Carrigan was starting lock for us like Arrow has been afforded at Titans we would probably be getting similar results.

Carrigan is a hard worker and solid in defence... if given the opportunity to play 60-80mins every week he'd be putting up good numbers.

Arrow does have a very decent offload though which I haven't seen from Carrigan, but doesn't mean Carrigan doesnt have an offload just hasn't really been given an extended run in first grade yet.

Actually Carrigan's time at Broncos is pretty much similar to Arrow's... somewhat undersized prop being used for fill in minutes in the middle rotation

If Carrigan was starting lock for us like Arrow has been afforded at Titans we would probably be getting similar results.

Carrigan is a hard worker and solid in defence... if given the opportunity to play 60-80mins every week he'd be putting up good numbers.

Arrow does have a very decent offload though which I haven't seen from Carrigan, but doesn't mean Carrigan doesnt have an offload just hasn't really been given an extended run in first grade yet.

Actually Carrigan's time at Broncos is pretty much similar to Arrow's... somewhat undersized prop being used for fill in minutes in the middle rotation
From what I've seen of them so far, Carrigan seems to have better leg drive. Seems a bit busier too, but thats probably because he doesn't have to pace himself as much. Arrow's defence seems a bit better so far, and there's the handy offload and what seems like faster ptb speed, though that might be subjective too.

Last edited:
These salary cap numbers are mostly media related over time (and some guesswork) for 2020, given it now appears Boyd and Macca are staying put:

Milf 1M
Bird 750k
Boyd 700k
Haas 600k
TPJ 600k
Lodge 700k
Oates 500k
Macca 500k
Offa 500k
Gillett 700k (hope the extension was a bit less)
Isaako 300k (guesswork)
Fifita 300k (500k upgrade approx?)
Flegler 150k (guesswork)
Arthurs 150k (guesswork)
Carrigan 200k (guesswork)
Staggs 300k (guesswork)
Coates 200k (guesswork)
Paix 150k (guesswork)
Dearden 150k (guesswork)
SOS 200k (guesswork)

This is 8.65 Mil without Turpin, Segeyaro or Glenn and I may be under on some of the guesswork. Then if these 3 are signed there are still another 7 places in the top 30. That’s a minimum 770k. So that totals 9.42 Mil before signing the three listed.

Salary cap will be 9.8 in 2020, 110k minimum contract. There is also the 200k veterans allowance and currently 5 cars up to 100k each. If we use all of that it gives a total of 10.5 million cap space. If we resign Turpin, Segeyaro and Glenn there won’t be much left over for other signings. I may be missing something but can’t see where new signings would fit. Hopefully the media reports are as reliable as normal rugby league journalism and we have a chunk of cash left over.

Seeing a fair bit of both Jai and Patty coming through, i'd say the main reason they probably think there is a bit more potential in Pat over Jai is that he is probably a smarter player than Jai, and Pat is a more of a leader. Coming through, and even when he was with QLD, when he talks, players listen and follow him. I dont really see Jai as captain material, although he probably should be Captain of the titans saying that.

These salary cap numbers are mostly media related over time (and some guesswork) for 2020, given it now appears Boyd and Macca are staying put:

Milf 1M
Bird 750k
Boyd 700k
Haas 600k
TPJ 600k
Lodge 700k
Oates 500k
Macca 500k
Offa 500k
Isaako 300k (guesswork)
Flegler 150k (guesswork)
Arthurs 150k (guesswork)
Staggs 300k (guesswork)
Coates 200k (guesswork)
Paix 150k (guesswork)
Dearden 150k (guesswork)
SOS 200k (guesswork)

This is 8.65 Mil without Turpin, Segeyaro or Glenn and I may be under on some of the guesswork. Then if these 3 are signed there are still another 7 places in the top 30. That’s a minimum 770k. So that totals 9.42 Mil before signing the three listed.

Salary cap will be 9.8 in 2020, 110k minimum contract. There is also the 200k veterans allowance and currently 5 cars up to 100k each. If we use all of that it gives a total of 10.5 million cap space. If we resign Turpin, Segeyaro and Glenn there won’t be much left over for other signings. I may be missing something but can’t see where new signings would fit. Hopefully the media reports are as reliable as normal rugby league journalism and we have a chunk of cash left over.

You also have to take into account TPA’s and whether or not they were counted in the already probably inaccurate media reports. Not to mention some contracts might have been front ended and will be less in 2020 while others are backended and will be low until after 2020.

Seibs was on triple M earlier this arvo, has said that they’re very confident of holding onto Turpin and also stated that he is one of his favourites around the club, as a bloke in general and to coach.
Sounds as though the warriors are also going hard for turps, so he may end up costing us more $
Seibs also said that they want to hold onto Glenn, but that isn’t as far down the line as turpin yet..
From what he was saying, its sounds as though the club originally did not have Glenn in their future, however Seibs thinks he is a very important part/leader of this squad moving forward. Hopefully we don’t loose fifi out of all of this, but we still also have oates to re sign once Turpin is done.
I’d say we are going to have to loose someone at some point..
Would be nice if boyd handed in his salary, but that doesn’t sound likely. Maybe if the bird rumour is true, that allows us to tie down fifi..

Fifi has to be locked down no matter what it takes. End of 2021 Macca, Boyd, Bird, Gillett and Glenn will all be gone allowing mass re-signing of all the current pack.

[/QUOTE]
Seibs was on triple M earlier this arvo, has said that they’re very confident of holding onto Turpin and also stated that he is one of his favourites around the club, as a bloke in general and to coach.
Sounds as though the warriors are also going hard for turps, so he may end up costing us more $
Seibs also said that they want to hold onto Glenn, but that isn’t as far down the line as turpin yet..
From what he was saying, its sounds as though the club originally did not have Glenn in their future, however Seibs thinks he is a very important part/leader of this squad moving forward. Hopefully we don’t loose fifi out of all of this, but we still also have oates to re sign once Turpin is done.
I’d say we are going to have to loose someone at some point..
Would be nice if boyd handed in his salary, but that doesn’t sound likely. Maybe if the bird rumour is true, that allows us to tie down fifi..

Surely he is the next peice of the puzzle, why loose sua if we didn't plan on locking in fifi long term. Gillo , boyd and macca will need to go soon .

Last edited:
Just finished reading some contrived garbage from Su'a. On the one hand he says (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'yeh getting limited minutes while at the Broncos was a deciding factor in me leaving and so I spoke to Wayne'. He said he'd love to have him at Souths but could not promise him a spot in the starting 17.

So that reads as if he'd be in the exact same situation as at the Broncos.

I think he already had his mind made up by Benny and that Benny had quietly promised him that he'd take him to Souths before he left.

Saying it was because of limited minutes at the Broncos and then admit that the reason behind that was his own doing as he was not playing well really pisses me off. But at the end of the day if he was happier playing under Benny he's no real use to the Broncos.

So much for the club looking after him since he was 13. What a great effort at repaying some of the loyalty shown to him. I thought the guy was heading to be the next enforcer for us and I respected him so much. Now, I put him in the same bracket as Roberts.

Last edited:

Milf 1M
Bird 750k
Boyd 700k
Haas 600k
TPJ 600k
Lodge 700k
Oates 500k
Macca 500k
Offa 500k
Isaako 300k (guesswork)
Flegler 150k (guesswork)
Arthurs 150k (guesswork)
Staggs 300k (guesswork)
Coates 200k (guesswork)
Paix 150k (guesswork)
Dearden 150k (guesswork)
SOS 200k (guesswork)

I have an idea Boyd's salary is closer to 600k and not the often quoted 800k. I don't know if Bird's on that much either and it seems extravagant by the board to give away that much cash. 750 for Gillette? I love the guy and all but really? Did the board really give him that much? It'd be great to see the real figures but I suppose it's not really our business is it?

I have an idea Boyd's salary is closer to 600k and not the often quoted 800k. I don't know if Bird's on that much either and it seems extravagant by the board to give away that much cash. 750 for Gillette? I love the guy and all but really? Did the board really give him that much? It'd be great to see the real figures but I suppose it's not really our business is it?
Kinda think the figures should be public knowledge. It would put to bed so much conjecture, speculation, and just plain lies from media and fans alike.

Milf 1M
Bird 750k
Boyd 700k
Haas 600k
TPJ 600k
Lodge 700k
Oates 500k
Macca 500k
Offa 500k
Isaako 300k (guesswork)
Flegler 150k (guesswork)
Arthurs 150k (guesswork)
Staggs 300k (guesswork)
Coates 200k (guesswork)
Paix 150k (guesswork)
Dearden 150k (guesswork)
SOS 200k (guesswork)

I don't think we need to sign anyone else, we just need to be patient.

Fifi MUST be retained, should be before all of those mentioned. I would lose Oates to keep Fifi.
Agree 100%. What worries me is that Seibold has mentioned both Turps and Oats and their contracts but not a word on David Fifita.

Agree 100%. What worries me is that Seibold has mentioned both Turps and Oats and their contracts but not a word on David Fifita.

Probably hoping the rest of the nrl forgot that he’s coming off contract and does t want to remind them.

Not a cap expert but to maintain fifi, we may have to back end his deal given the price he will attract.

I think our current cap situation proves that WB is not a great modern day manager.

Macca: 4 years - 2 in favour and solid money
Boyd 4 years - 2 in favour and 700k
Bird: Arrived injured and 700k
Gillett: 5 years and 700k
Milf: 1 Million, but no support around him to let him be the player her needed to be.

These were all overseen by WB and is literally screwing us now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• cento
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mr Fourex
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Culhwch
  • kman
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • Organix
  • jd87
  • Foordy
  • unnerv1ng
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.