Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milford is 25. He has some great games and some quiet games, but with the money he's on, his work ethic and consistency is a real concern. I think we should let him play at fullback from this point now that the decision has been made. In many ways, he reminds me of Renouf, the way he approaches games (not size or skill but approach). He'll be quiet for a long period and then bring on the match-winner. I can't see that changing and I can't see him getting any fitter, so to my mind fullback bests accommodates that. Is he perfect for that role? no, but it is his best fit in my oppinion from this point on.
He is too highly priced for what he has brought, and if he could more involve, would make a great 5/8, but he only succeeds there when the team is cruising. We need more than that.

Milford is 25. He has some great games and some quiet games, but with the money he's on, his work ethic and consistency is a real concern. I think we should let him play at fullback from this point now that the decision has been made. In many ways, he reminds me of Renouf, the way he approaches games (not size or skill but approach). He'll be quiet for a long period and then bring on the match-winner. I can't see that changing and I can't see him getting any fitter, so to my mind fullback bests accommodates that. Is he perfect for that role? no, but it is his best fit in my oppinion from this point on.
He is too highly priced for what he has brought, and if he could more involve, would make a great 5/8, but he only succeeds there when the team is cruising. We need more than that.

You can’t see him getting any fitter so you want him to play the position that requires the most running? I don’t understand.

i think its fair to say we have seen enough this year of Milf playing 5/8th and fullback to start to unpack the evidence so to speak of just where he should be playing for us going forward.

And the first thing for me is; what position benefits the TEAM the most? In other words this iteration of the Broncs..?

Half's are a combo....we haven't had that since Niko left. So for mine...right now Milf simply cant have the benefit of a experienced and complimentary half partner besides him.

Now he has pros and cons in either role as you can see in previous posts. But right now, with club leadership still feel obliged to hide our captain at 5/8th....then no real complimentary half's partner exists for Milf and hence he has to play fullback. Thus its is the best position RIGHT NOW...

If that is then correct, then we need to maximize the good he brings to the role and help eradicate or cover up the shortcomings...

and that's a whole different thread on its own...

To go totally against the grain, my father has swayed me over the years to realise that Milf May have no real place in the game, much like Macca. I fought him over this for years, but he was best and fairest for many years here in Toowoomba and state leagues. I’m starting to see it. My last hopes are that he can be that instinctual fullback that we originally bought because I’m starting to see he’s not smart enough to be another true halves champion.

Hey man, out of interest can you let me in on what points your dad made that swayed you? I’m a huge Milf fan, probably my favorite player, and I reckon we aren’t seeing 2015 Running Milf because he is our lone attacking threat. I also love the way he has developed his kicking and game management, which I think is a testament to his character. But I also recognize I’m looking at him through rose coloured glasses (and I do think he is being paid too much, I think he is worth around 750k)

To go totally against the grain, my father has swayed me over the years to realise that Milf May have no real place in the game, much like Macca. I fought him over this for years, but he was best and fairest for many years here in Toowoomba and state leagues. I’m starting to see it. My last hopes are that he can be that instinctual fullback that we originally bought because I’m starting to see he’s not smart enough to be another true halves champion.
I don't think I can agree with this at all.

He actually has the makings with his kicking game to be one of the best 1, 6 or 7 in the game. The issue is the rest of the spine offer absolutely nothing.

To break it down Milf in 2015/16 was playing like a 6 or second fullback... chiming in where needed and supporting through the middle. He should've won Clive Churchill and at the start of 2016 (until he missed out on origin) I would say he was in Dally M form.

2017/18 he's basically been our halfback regardless of the number on his back and won our player of the year... why 7 because he was playing first receiver a lot and controlling the kicking game... but the 1, 6/7 & 9 barely generated any points off the back of it.

The last few weeks he's pretty well been playing all 3 positions although Turpin has been given more responsibility on kicking, which is why we are now screaming for any halfback.

Give this guy at least a competent spine that can alleviate some of the workload and he truly does have the makings of an elite player.

Literally a 7 that can get the team around the park and kick well, a 9 that can force the opposition to at least think about defending the middle and give him a license to roam both sides of the field and he would be elite in attacking scenarios.

Ok cool he made camp. But then Ponga got injured, Munster got moved to fullback and mbye gets brought in. Mbye is higher up the pecking order.

Yep, Kevvie is a shit coach.

Its actual absurdity comparing Milf to fullbacks who have actual halfs playing with them and seasons if not a preseason of time together.

I would argue that Milfs time at 6 was a success. His defence, kicking and passing all improved. Now his running game has a chance to come back. It is the smartest move Seibs has made. The next move is fixing the halfs. With a quality 7 6 and 1 you disperse the opposition decisions across three players and if you can add a dangerous 9 thats one more area of concern. Its all about putting more decision-making on the table that can cause errors. Its what makes all the top teams the top teams. They all have 3 big spine players at the least.

Milf at this point has been the only danger in our spine. Being 6 or 1 its the same issue. I think he can be top quality in either position and arguing which position actually comes down to the other options in that role.

Fullback is at this point our weakest area. Once Sos (6) and Dearden (7) are ready i think this team can go places in the comp.

If Milf has to go back to 6 i personally believe a fit Bird would be our next best option. He would be Munster like at fullback.

Its actual absurdity comparing Milf to fullbacks who have actual halfs playing with them and seasons if not a preseason of time together.

I would argue that Milfs time at 6 was a success. His defence, kicking and passing all improved. Now his running game has a chance to come back. It is the smartest move Seibs has made. The next move is fixing the halfs. With a quality 7 6 and 1 you disperse the opposition decisions across three players and if you can add a dangerous 9 thats one more area of concern. Its all about putting more decision-making on the table that can cause errors. Its what makes all the top teams the top teams. They all have 3 big spine players at the least.

Milf at this point has been the only danger in our spine. Being 6 or 1 its the same issue. I think he can be top quality in either position and arguing which position actually comes down to the other options in that role.

Fullback is at this point our weakest area. Once Sos (6) and Dearden (7) are ready i think this team can go places in the comp.

If Milf has to go back to 6 i personally believe a fit Bird would be our next best option. He would be Munster like at fullback.

have to agree obviously with all this...and yet it sums up the crux of the problem.

Every NRL team wants the same thing. Yet there aren't enough elite fullback and half's running around hence the market for them sees them get the lions share of wages.

And that's where we are at; either we pay overs to rub out other NRL competition to secure what we need or you develop it. Now this is my opinion but my thoughts upon learning that Siebs was coming here on a 5 year deal was exactly that...we would give the coach the time and leeway to develop what he needed to win a premiership.

And to be frank; right now the clubs immediate and medium term plans in terms of recruitment and retention are hamstrung by a few contracts that would serve us better not being here. This is a fact and hence lends itself to us developing what we need internally...

Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster,
Please make it so Darius Boyd retires at the end of the year and transitions into a mental health role at the club. Please make Fifita, Oates and segyaro re-sign, and allow bird, milf, and our young halves to all have injury free seasons next year. Tah.
Semen

have to agree obviously with all this...and yet it sums up the crux of the problem.

Every NRL team wants the same thing. Yet there aren't enough elite fullback and half's running around hence the market for them sees them get the lions share of wages.

And that's where we are at; either we pay overs to rub out other NRL competition to secure what we need or you develop it. Now this is my opinion but my thoughts upon learning that Siebs was coming here on a 5 year deal was exactly that...we would give the coach the time and leeway to develop what he needed to win a premiership.

And to be frank; right now the clubs immediate and medium term plans in terms of recruitment and retention are hamstrung by a few contracts that would serve us better not being here. This is a fact and hence lends itself to us developing what we need internally...
Thats exactly right. Also in saying this we actually don't need the best players available in those positions if like it appears we want to invest in the most dynamic forward pack. What we need is guys who can control a game, provide a good kicking game and pose some threat themselves.

This is exactly why Sos and Dearden could be a good fit. If Macca/seggy and Turps can develop a good combo at 9 and with Milf at the back we have a spine that can get the job done.

For me Boyd is our biggest concern. Finding a spot for him going foward costs us somebody better in that position.

Thats exactly right. Also in saying this we actually don't need the best players available in those positions if like it appears we want to invest in the most dynamic forward pack. What we need is guys who can control a game, provide a good kicking game and pose some threat themselves.

This is exactly why Sos and Dearden could be a good fit. If Macca/seggy and Turps can develop a good combo at 9 and with Milf at the back we have a spine that can get the job done.

For me Boyd is our biggest concern. Finding a spot for him going foward costs us somebody better in that position.
I think at the present with regards to Boyd the best we can hope for is for him to be in the centres with Sos and Dearden in the halves(at full or close to 100%) and really that is only till Bird is back next year, then Staggs could be the victim there. And trust me that really scares me.

Last edited:
I think at the present with regards to Boyd the best we can hope for is for him to be in the centres with Sos and Dearden in the halves(at full or close to 100%) and really that is only till Bird is back next year, then Staggs could be the victim there. And trust me that really scares me.

Zero chance of Staggs losing his spot imo, he's something else.

Zero chance of Staggs losing his spot imo, he's something else.
Not really I think there is a great risk of it happening, most likely Bird returns to the centres. Unless Boyd retires(very unlikely)injured or moves on, remains in at 5/8th(indications are Seibold are looking at different combinations), returns to fullback(pretty much has been pointed out this isn't happening) or moves out to the wing(might happen but I can't see Oates being dropped and I think Isaako will hold his spot) then he moves to the centres.

Last edited:
I think he'll explode next year, we get a few halves who can give him some good ball, he'll be a bit bigger. It's going to be something else, trust. Not saying if we had someone the size of Ramien with Staggs defence then yeah, but that would be a 600k centre.

I wanna see Staggs continue to be there mate and I hope your right I really do. That said I don't want Boyd in the halves or fullback either, oh boy is there anyway we can win here realistically?

Last edited:
No, Boyd has to go, it's literally suicide for Seibold to play him and Macca next year and he has to know it.

No, Boyd has to go, it's literally suicide for Seibold to play him and Macca next year and he has to know it.

Seibold knows it but it depends if he’ll be allowed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Lurker
  • Mustafur
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.