Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2021

Galah

NRL Player
Brisbane
Getting rid of joe is great as we free up some cash. we don’t need Asiata he’s just going to take up that cash we just freed up! What’s the point? We have middle forwards.

heartly87

NRL Player
I can not rap my head around our situation. How can you have people on big money leave and not have a cent to get anyone to replace them. Our club has fallen so far. We literately have nothing to get excited about or discuss, except losing players. Kev said we would be on the market making big moves. What moves? one name is being rumored.. Asiata, ok but what exactly does he bring to this side, and how much would you be paying because he is a 400k player max.

The glaring issue is our total lack of a quality Fullback. This is the main issue the club should be going above and beyond to fix. How they have not gone out hard for one is beyond me.

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
I can not rap my head around our situation. How can you have people on big money leave and not have a cent to get anyone to replace them. Our club has fallen so far. We literately have nothing to get excited about or discuss, except losing players. Kev said we would be on the market making big moves. What moves? one name is being rumored.. Asiata, ok but what exactly does he bring to this side, and how much would you be paying because he is a 400k player max.

The glaring issue is our total lack of a quality Fullback. This is the main issue the club should be going above and beyond to fix. How they have not gone out hard for one is beyond me.

Yeah it’s mind-boggling isn’t it. You lose Boyd, Kahu, Bird, Fifita and now likely Joffa and you bring back Macca and upgrade Herbie but still have no money to even sign Asiata unless a Joffa is gone. How much are we paying these guys to play elsewhere and how much are we overpaying the hacks at the club?

Not only that, we were slow to move our coach on, slow to appoint the only real contender for the job and slow to finish a needless review to likely point out everything bar the obvious. Meanwhile, serviceable depth players our squad needs are being snapped up left, right and centre on minimum wage and we do absolutely nothing.

There better be something other than Asiata in the works of this club will lose a bucket load of members because there is just no good news coming out of the club.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we are paying a million dollars of our cap next year to players playing at other clubs in Bird, Joffa and McGuire. Meanwhile we’ll have about 2-2.5 million wrapped up in players we don’t want at the club in Milford, Oates, Macca and Glenn, Croft and possibly throw TPJ and a lodge into that mix as well.

What an absolute mess!

Last edited:

winslow_wong

International Rep
bris

Kevvie probably knows what we need player wise and had ideas coming into the job. The board probably sat him down and gave him the old “so umm about signing players.....”

Thelmus

NRL Player
On problem I see with signing him is that imo he is a lock. We already have Carrigan so he would be signing to play front row which I think isn’t his best position
You could play carrigan as a prop. I still think that would be his best position. With Haas, Asiata and carrigan you have potentially an 80 minute front row (not that you would use them that way, and Kevin has already talked about reducing minutes for Haas).
But if you got starters with long minutes in them, an injury can dealt with much more effectively, provided you have a versatile bench.

BroncsFan

NRL Captain
Is Asiata even much of an upgrade on Offa? More skill I guess but it doesn’t fill me with excitement. Better than nothing I suppose, and adds a different dimension.
I think Asiata can be one of those guys that brings a different dimension to our attack and I've never thought he was a guy that looked lazy on the field.

I doubt he's looking for a huge contract... would probably be cheaper than Offa eventually... and he's not a guy that will take 18 hit ups for 160m, but we already have those guys.

He could be a little like Dunamis has been for the raiders. Solid option in the middle on a good contract, but he also has some footy smarts and seems quite mobile.

The only concern I could have is defence and if he's mobile enough in the middle, but I've not really paid any attention to his defence to know if it's an issue.

What I do know is Offa is a massive liability in defence... hs always gets stuck lying around the ruck leaving us a marker down. He also looked lazy covering the middle, in the roosters try where Liu busted through the middle you can see Offa plodding along not covering Haas' inside shoulder... and it's not like he can say he was fatigued because he came off the bench and it might've been straight after halftime??

Basically if Asiata can be mobile enough to defend the middle then I think his attack speaks for itself. I think he can also do more minutes just hasn't been given the opportunity at cows.

He could be considered a lite version of Jurbo or James Graham.. in that he's a playmaking prop in the middle of the field. Question marks would be on Asiata's defence (only because I haven't paid attention, but just needs to be solid), stamina (untried more than anything) and if he can take some tough carries, which I think he does, but nothing spectacular. Jurbo doesn't really run it, he just picks his moments

Last edited:

heartly87

NRL Player
Asiata would be a good signing if used right. He could really work at Lock as large ball player, but he needs to be at the right price. Pat is a FR going off last year, If he could put on a bit more muscle he could be a very well rounded prop. But he lacks a passing game to be a high level lock in the current game.

The way I see it, we do have a team that can be improved on, with good coaching and game plans. But the massive hole is a capable fullback, its the one area I can not see being fixed within our current roster. I had hope for Bird but that is not to be. otherwise the rest of the spine is capable when healthy and there is plenty of talent that Kev can pull out of players there. Our forward pack also can do better without much investment. We have a winger/fullback/centre problem that needs fixing. Three spots as I see it, Coats can stay, Staggs when he returns keeps his spot. That leaves Oats, Isaako and whoever else left to fight it out or bring somebody in.

Fitzy

QCup Player

The haven’t gone after a fullback cause they must believe the solution is within the junior ranks already... whether that’s Walsh, Niu, Staggs, Cobbo who knows but at this stage they may be better off developing one of them instead of spending overs on a shit fullback for the next 3 seasons

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
The way I see it, we do have a team that can be improved on, with good coaching and game plans. But the massive hole is a capable fullback, its the one area I can not see being fixed within our current roster. I had hope for Bird but that is not to be. otherwise the rest of the spine is capable when healthy and there is plenty of talent that Kev can pull out of players there. Our forward pack also can do better without much investment. We have a winger/fullback/centre problem that needs fixing. Three spots as I see it, Coats can stay, Staggs when he returns keeps his spot. That leaves Oats, Isaako and whoever else left to fight it out or bring somebody in.

our Fullback options for 2021 IMO should be a battle between Isaako and Nui ... but we'll need to use them more like a fullback of yesteryear... i.e. a ball running fullback that uses speed and footwork rather than play making ability; a fullback that is constantly sniffing around the ruck ready for an sudden offload; the problem with that is it puts more pressure on the halves and a ball playing lock like Asiata to provide the sides play making.

The haven’t gone after a fullback cause they must believe the solution is within the junior ranks already... whether that’s Walsh, Niu, Staggs, Cobbo who knows but at this stage they may be better off developing one of them instead of spending overs on a shit fullback for the next 3 seasons

it could also be that they don't feel a decent fullback (or at least one that meets our needs) is available for 2021

Drinkwater is off contract at the end of next year.

heartly87

NRL Player
Hopefully we do have one ready to go, and we have all the internal talent just waiting. The issue I have with that is the usual, INSERT BRONCOS PLAYER plays a good game and has X amount of clubs circling jacking up his price. I am sick of it.

ostin86

NRL Player
It is fucking incredible that there are still no signings, like this is an all new level of incompetence that I just didn't think was possible. In a weird sort of way I am actually impressed.
Surely there has to be atleast one decent signing coming. Throw us a bone please

upthebroncs

NRL Player
We should be looking to the QLD cup for signings when our cap is in this state.

Asiata is definitely not the answer. He wouldn’t even fit in well with the make up of our forward pack. I just can’t be that positive about that signing. Carrigan should be cemented in the 13 and develop his game from there. All he needs to do is develop an offload.

Dunamis Lui would be getting paid peanuts right now but he randomly had a good year for Raiders when playing alongside Papalii.

We need to find our own Dunamis Lui who we can sign for peanuts and play next to Haas. There is definitely someone out there.

NSW stables

NRL Player
We should be looking to the QLD cup for signings when our cap is in this state.

Asiata is definitely not the answer. He wouldn’t even fit in well with the make up of our forward pack. I just can’t be that positive about that signing. Carrigan should be cemented in the 13 and develop his game from there. All he needs to do is develop an offload.

Dunamis Lui would be getting paid peanuts right now but he randomly had a good year for Raiders when playing alongside Papalii.

We need to find our own Dunamis Lui who we can sign for peanuts and play next to Haas. There is definitely someone out there.
I agree that we should be looking at the qld cup more for players, but I dont mind the asiata signing (if true). Regarding his "fit", i actually think he adds some diversity and another dimension to our pack. We do not have a ball playing forward, which could be a real asset (particularly with walters talking about playing attacking football), whether it being taking the ball to the line to draw the defence and tipping a short ball onto a player (another middle forward or fullback/halve) hitting the gap, or connecting with the halves (like we continue to do now) but provide them with a decent pass they can run on to.

Carrigan can play prop.

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
Broncos are looking to sign Will Chambers, but need to release Joe Ofahengaue to have the funds - Brent Read in Fox Sports article today.

I thought we needed to release Joe O to sign Asiata ... how much money is Joe O on, lol

now the media have this narrative, Chambers probably won't be the last person we are linked to, if we can move Joe O on

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
I'm not as against it as I was but only if it is a low wage, we definitely need a centre and he is about as good as most running around (there just aren't many good centres anywhere in rugby league.

I just really want us to sign Allan. He should be priority one of those who are gettable but not officially off contract.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.