OFFICIAL Broncos Sourced Player Movement and Confirmed Signings - Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point being that the people above this shitshow, the owners News LTD you would think come in and sort shit out instead of keeping their patsy Morris in place. To me this suggests they are getting exactly what they want, a huge uptake in numbers based on Broncos fans reading hoping for something positive and the haters (everyone else) reading to bask in the glow of our continuing demise.
I suspect you're overthinking things. We're not even a pimple on the ass of News Ltd overall and even if we just consider the Courier Mail it's still unlikely that the Broncos have any real significant bearing on the revenue of that newspaper one way or the other. We're a big fish in the NRL, but that's a very small pond relative to media ownership in Australia.

Far more likely that News just aren't that interested so long as the club is operating reasonably profitably and not requiring any injection of shareholder funds, which for the most part it is. I'd say the on field results probably count for very little in their eyes and they just have far bigger fish to fry in a multi billion dollar global organisation than worrying about whether the board at a football club they own a stake in back in Australia is performing competently or being made accountable for their performance.

Maybe. Don't forget for all some members like to crow about our massive 50 million dollar net worth the club is a rounding error for News Corp or any other big business.
$50 million isn't a net worth, it's just our approximate annual turnover. Valuing the Broncos as a business is fairly tricky as sporting clubs are notoriously difficult to value by applying traditional valuation methods like you would to any other business. They are also purchased for often highly illogical or non business motivated reasons so this can often generate valuations that far exceed what a balance sheet might suggest was a fair valuation. News Ltd certainly aren't invested in the Broncos for the outstanding returns and it's highly likely that's true for even the club's minority stakeholders and owners.

Clubs like the Yankees or Dallas Cowboys or Real Madrid are often valued at some fairly astronomical figures despite the fact that many of them hold very few concrete assets and often lose considerable sums of money every year. All their value is basically held in the 'goodwill' of the brand and whilst the scale is obviously far smaller for the Broncos, the same principle for their valuation likely applies.

Last edited:
We are the most profitable club in the NRL yet have the wooden spoon.

Fucking ridiculous!

Clearly not enough of those profits have not been channeled back into badly needed resources.

I understand the shareholders need to be appeased but not to the extent of making the club unsuccessful and a fucking shambles. White and company - you should be ashamed of yourselves.

They appear to spend more time being concerned with what's happening in the corporate boxs rather then what’s happening on the footy field with the spoon being the result.
We badly need that part to change before we have any hope at all of getting a half decent team back on Lang Park.
It isn't about appeasing shareholders. The shareholders almost never see any share growth that they can realise and they almost never get paid a dividend. This isn't why News own shares here and it almost certainly isn't why even the likes of Phil Murphy own a stake too. It's an emotional investment, not a logical one.

Let's imagine the backroom isn't as much of a basket case as we've all been led to believe, this below would be amazing.

If Kevvie could somehow bring in:

1. Grant
2. Allan
3. Mansour
4. Asiata
5. Su'A/Capewell
6. Lui

This side will become far more competitive.

In fact, I'd argue Mansour might even be one of the most important given we got almost negative metres from our back three this year.

Let's imagine the backroom isn't as much of a basket case as we've all been led to believe, this below would be amazing.

1. Grant
2. Allan
3. Mansour
4. Asiata
5. Su'A/Capewell
6. Lui

In fact, I'd argue Mansour might even be one of the most important given we got almost negative metres from our back three this year.
One can dream.

Well yeah because evidently, this is almost 0% chance of happening sadly and it shouldn't be 0%, it is very, very achievable.
Not if you've got absolute lunatics running the asylum.

1. Grant
2. Allan
3. Mansour
4. Asiata
5. Su'A/Capewell
6. Lui

Love it mate. Unfortunately looks like Mansour will be going to Parra though to replace Ferguson as he is not wanted beyond next year either. If Kevvie is somehow able to have a say in getting him here though it would be lovely.

Just unbelievable reading through the last couple of pages of this thread with what Joe has posted about the club and the goings on. Poor ol Kev, he must really love the joint.

1. Grant
2. Allan
3. Mansour
4. Asiata
5. Su'A/Capewell
6. Lui

I think we have to be realistic about Mansour here. He's over 30 and he's born and raised in Sydney and has lived there all his life.

I'd presume he has a partner and a young family and not a huge amount of football left in him, so how likely is it that he'd want to pack up at this point in his life and career and relocate to Brisbane? Perhaps if we were the top bidder maybe, but that means he isn't coming cheap, as other Sydney clubs will almost certainly be circling too.

Do we really want to be the top bidder on a 30+ year old Winger who would probably prefer to stay in the city he already lives in?

I rate him as a player and covered that extensively the other day, but I think the idea that he's about to come to Brisbane is bordering on fanciful at best.

We have far more leverage with guys like Allan who actually come from around here and have far more reason to want to come back than money alone.

Mansour will probably end up at the Bulldogs or knowing how the NRL works he'll be allowed to go to the Roosters for $12,000 a year because they 'developed him' or some other bullshit like that and he'll win another two Premierships there.

Last edited:
I think we have to be realistic about Mansour here. He's over 30 and he's born and raised in Sydney and has lived there all his life.

I'd presume he has a partner and a young family and not a huge amount of football left in him, so how likely is it that he'd want to pack up at this point in his life and career and relocate to Brisbane? Perhaps if we were the top bidder maybe, but that means he isn't coming cheap, as other Sydney clubs will almost certainly be circling too.

Do we really want to be the top bidder on a 30+ year old Winger who would probably prefer to stay in the city he already lives in?

I rate him as a player and covered that extensively the other day, but I think the idea that he's about to come to Brisbane is bordering on fanciful at best.

We have far more leverage with guys like Allan who actually come from around here and have far more reason to want to come back than money alone.
Well it really depends, if no other club has cap space, and he wants to extend his career he'd come here.
When you're making 300-400k a year I don't think packing up the family and moving state is a big ask.

That being said, if Ferguson/Mansour is a thing, I'd take him too. He offers a lot of the same qualities as Mansour even though he's a bit more rocks and diamonds.

Last edited:
Well it really depends, if no other club has cap space, and he wants to extend his career he'd come here.
When you're making 300-400k a year I don't think packing up the family and moving state is a big ask.

That being said, if Ferguson/Mansour is a thing, I'd take him too. He offers a lot of the same qualities as Mansour even though he's a bit more rocks and diamonds.
Other clubs have salary cap space. They probably have more of it than we do. There is just no way we are going to be the sole bidder on a player like Mansour.

Other clubs have salary cap space. They probably have more of it than we do. There is just no way we are going to be the sole bidder on a player like Mansour.
Yeah but we have to try. Fanciful thinking or not, every player worth a pinch of shit is going to be sought after. We can't just admit defeat because there's always going to be some other club or factor that's more appealing that signing for the Broncos. Push our own strengths and try to recruit quality players. The alternative is only signing discards and rejects, which we did last year.

Last edited:
Yeah but we have to try. Fanciful thinking or not, every player worth a pinch of shit is going to be sought after. We can't just admit defeat because there's always going to be some other club or factor that's more appealing that signing for the Broncos. Push our own strengths and try to recruit quality players. The alternative is only signing discards and rejects, which we did last year.
Maybe we should concentrate on signing Queenslanders. Would love to swap Lodge for Lindsay Collins. I reckon Roosters may take that trade. Collins is a Broncos junior I think. Bring him home.

Last edited:
Maybe we should concentrate on signing Queenslanders. Would love to swap Lodge for Lindsay Collins. I reckon Roosters may take that trade. Collins is a Broncos junior I think. Bring him home.

Yep buy back the farm. All of Collins, Allan, Su'A, Lui and Molo would be great additions to the side and none aside from Su'A would cost that much. If you want to go more expensive blokes too, Foulsmellingodour and Fifita would both be nice to get back eventually as well.

I don't disagree with you in principle, but what I'm arguing here is that in Mansour's case specifically we don't really have any strengths to offer. We aren't likely to be the highest bidder. We aren't located in a city he already lives in and we don't any personal or family reasons for him to want to come here. The cherry on top of this is that we are also a complete basket case on and off the field now too.

This is hardly adding up to be a compelling sell for someone like Corey Allan who at least has history with the club and was born and raised in Brisbane, let alone someone like Mansour who has absolutely none of that.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you in principle, but what I'm arguing here is that in Mansour's case specifically we don't really have any strengths to offer. We aren't likely to be the highest bidder. We aren't located in a city he already lives in and we don't any personal or family reasons for him to want to come here. The cherry on top of this is that we are also a complete basket case on and off the field now too.

This is hardly adding up to be a compelling sell for someone like Corey Allan who at least has history with the club and was born and raised in Brisbane, let alone someone like Mansour who has absolutely none of that.
I don't disagree with you, but part of good recruitment is selling the club in the best possible light (however broken the light is right now). Maybe we can appeal to his competitive drive to rebuild a club? I don't know. It's not the be all and end all if we sign someone like Fergo/Mansour if they are available but it would sure help. Oates can be backrow/benchy or nothing next year and if we managed to pick up Allan we could be looking at 1. Allan 2. Mansour/Fergo 3. Staggs 4. Bird 5. Farnworth which is suddenly looking like a pretty good backline. We can't take a wooden spoon and go into next season only signing Copley/Asiata. Surely fucking not.

Last edited:

It isn't about appeasing shareholders. The shareholders almost never see any share growth that they can realise and they almost never get paid a dividend. This isn't why News own shares here and it almost certainly isn't why even the likes of Phil Murphy own a stake too. It's an emotional investment, not a logical one.
Very emotional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • LittleDavey
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncsgoat
  • eggstar10
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Wolfie
  • Mick_Hancock
  • I bleed Maroon
  • jd87
  • Aldo
  • Morkel
  • Midean
  • Volvo Driver
  • Strop
  • Broncosgirl
... and 66 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.