Broncos positivity thread

16 reasons Broncos won’t come 16th in 2021 (part 1)

1. Coach Walters:
As far as coach’s go, the only way is up for the broncos. Kev has experience at origin level and super league, and has surrounded himself with a far higher pedigree of assistance than the megalomaniac who preceded him.

2. Payne and gain: Haas has expressed his need for quality over quantity when it comes to game time. Anyone who isn’t Seibold could see (boldly) that Payne was overworked and exhausted. This lead to blunted impact in attack and defensive errors in the back end of games. Less minutes should see a rejuvenated Payne playing the Haas down (sorry).

3. Lodge a complaint about the medical department: Matt Lodge has recovered from the broken leg that dogged him last season. The big fella will have a chip on his shoulder after watching last season’s pathetic efforts, and having his own ability brought into question by critics. A natural leader, I expect a big and aggressive start to the season for Lodge. Combine this with the previous point about Haas and our starting props will be something to fear.

4. Asiata locked in: John Asiata brings a new dynamic to the forward pack. A quick and agile lock with the hands of Thurston and the short kicking game of...also Thurston? Johns ball playing before the line should give Dearden and Milf some extra space in attack. With the already mentioned huge engine room upfront, John can bring a touch of flair and excitement to the middle forwards.

5. Props to Patty: No one can questions Pat’s efforts last season, though he was often accused of being one dimensional at prop. Asiata’s inclusion should see Patty shifted to his more suited position of Prop. For those keeping note; that’s a prop rotation of Lodge, Haas, and Carrigan. Yea please!

6. Stiffler’s Mum: the Milf appears to have recovered from his hamstring injuries. Anthony has performed below expectations in recent seasons with his greatest consistency being during Kev’s last stint at the club. If anyone has the keys to Milford’s shackles it’s legendary 5/8 Kev Walters, who has already thrown his full support behind the Man I’d Like to Fuckin play to his potential.

7. The boomerang gang: This season we see Dale Copley, David Mead, and Dandrew McCullough return to Red Hill. On top of that, Ben Teo is looking likely to return in 2021 after completing his first rugby league pre-season in half a decade. Although not the most exciting quintuple on the field, all 4 have a wealth of experience and are known for their professionalism and commitment to training. This brings a much needed benchmark for effort on and off the field, and may be especially beneficial for our very inexperienced backline. I think Macca playing for a contact, and burning from being discarded will surprise a lot of people. I think he may be a very influential figure at the club in 21. Hell, I may even give him his own number later in the list.

8. The troops return: if nothing else has improved since last season, at least we are mostly starting from scratch with injuries (Staggs and now Oates the notable exceptions). Someone recently posted how few games all our most important players played last year. We had millions of dollars in the sideline for large periods of the season. Touch wood we have a blessed pre-season and can build some consistent combination during the season

Betoota approved. Love it.

The way I see it, of course they aren't spoon material this year, question will be how far into the 8 they can rise.

16 reasons Broncos won’t come 16th in 2021 (part 1)

1. Coach Walters:
As far as coach’s go, the only way is up for the broncos. Kev has experience at origin level and super league, and has surrounded himself with a far higher pedigree of assistance than the megalomaniac who preceded him.

2. Payne and gain: Haas has expressed his need for quality over quantity when it comes to game time. Anyone who isn’t Seibold could see (boldly) that Payne was overworked and exhausted. This lead to blunted impact in attack and defensive errors in the back end of games. Less minutes should see a rejuvenated Payne playing the Haas down (sorry).

3. Lodge a complaint about the medical department: Matt Lodge has recovered from the broken leg that dogged him last season. The big fella will have a chip on his shoulder after watching last season’s pathetic efforts, and having his own ability brought into question by critics. A natural leader, I expect a big and aggressive start to the season for Lodge. Combine this with the previous point about Haas and our starting props will be something to fear.

4. Asiata locked in: John Asiata brings a new dynamic to the forward pack. A quick and agile lock with the hands of Thurston and the short kicking game of...also Thurston? Johns ball playing before the line should give Dearden and Milf some extra space in attack. With the already mentioned huge engine room upfront, John can bring a touch of flair and excitement to the middle forwards.

5. Props to Patty: No one can questions Pat’s efforts last season, though he was often accused of being one dimensional at prop. Asiata’s inclusion should see Patty shifted to his more suited position of Prop. For those keeping note; that’s a prop rotation of Lodge, Haas, and Carrigan. Yea please!

6. Stiffler’s Mum: the Milf appears to have recovered from his hamstring injuries. Anthony has performed below expectations in recent seasons with his greatest consistency being during Kev’s last stint at the club. If anyone has the keys to Milford’s shackles it’s legendary 5/8 Kev Walters, who has already thrown his full support behind the Man I’d Like to Fuckin play to his potential.

7. The boomerang gang: This season we see Dale Copley, David Mead, and Dandrew McCullough return to Red Hill. On top of that, Ben Teo is looking likely to return in 2021 after completing his first rugby league pre-season in half a decade. Although not the most exciting quintuple on the field, all 4 have a wealth of experience and are known for their professionalism and commitment to training. This brings a much needed benchmark for effort on and off the field, and may be especially beneficial for our very inexperienced backline. I think Macca playing for a contact, and burning from being discarded will surprise a lot of people. I think he may be a very influential figure at the club in 21. Hell, I may even give him his own number later in the list.

8. The troops return: if nothing else has improved since last season, at least we are mostly starting from scratch with injuries (Staggs and now Oates the notable exceptions). Someone recently posted how few games all our most important players played last year. We had millions of dollars in the sideline for large periods of the season. Touch wood we have a blessed pre-season and can build some consistent combination during the season
Love the positivity, How do you see our pack rotating? Haas/Lodge starting props with Asiata starting 13 or Pangai? Pangai/Carrigan/Fleg off the bench? Ricki starting over Oates now with his latest injury?

Love the positivity, How do you see our pack rotating? Haas/Lodge starting props with Asiata starting 13 or Pangai? Pangai/Carrigan/Fleg off the bench? Ricki starting over Oates now with his latest injury?
Starting the season I wouldn't mind trialling TPJ starting at 13 and just being given the direction to go all out for 25 mins (give or take). Having him and our starting props going at 100%, softening up the opposition's middle and then having asiata finishing the game at 13, taking advantage of the softened middle with a bit of ball play could work.

TPJ could then return for his second stint back in at prop (i think he is best as a middle forward) or 2nd row (giving respite to riki or oates who may take some time to adjust to playing 80 mins at 2nd row in first grade)

Starting the season I wouldn't mind trialling TPJ starting at 13 and just being given the direction to go all out for 25 mins (give or take). Having him and our starting props going at 100%, softening up the opposition's middle and then having asiata finishing the game at 13, taking advantage of the softened middle with a bit of ball play could work.

TPJ could then return for his second stint back in at prop (i think he is best as a middle forward) or 2nd row (giving respite to riki or oates who may take some time to adjust to playing 80 mins at 2nd row in first grade)
I don't see Riki or Oates playing 80 in the Back Row from Round 1 to be honest. TPJ seems far more likely to feature there in a rotation I'd imagine.

Oates off the Bench to come on as an Edge Forward by far makes the most sense. He could spell TPJ who could return as either a Middle or Edge Forward and he'd be coming on after the initial sting is removed from the game and he'd ideally be able to run at fatiguing Edge Forwards and Halves which is surely the whole point of moving him to an Edge Forward role in the first place.

He'd also act as insurance in the event we lost an Outside Back during the game, freeing us up to run a Bench with 2 x Middle Forwards, Oates as Edge/Emergency Outside back coverage and a Utility to spell Turpin.

So something like:

8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan

14. Utility
15. Flegler
16. Bullemor/Kennedy
17. Oates

Last edited:
If we get Mann, I’ll be feeling far more positive. While Asiata and Copley aren’t the guys I would have gone for, they are what we need, solid first graders who aren’t going to break the bank account, well hopefully not anyway. Now, bring in Capewell as well and I’m fully on board.

If we get Mann, I’ll be feeling far more positive. While Asiata and Copley aren’t the guys I would have gone for, they are what we need, solid first graders who aren’t going to break the bank account, well hopefully not anyway. Now, bring in Capewell as well and I’m fully on board.
Yeah, it’s a bunch of reasonably priced honest and hard working players. No flash or impressive highlight reels but will show up and put in week after week. Also all 3 (and Mead) are professional and experienced. I think the recruitment team is rebuilding club culture from the ground up and signing based on personalities.

Yeah, it’s a bunch of reasonably priced honest and hard working players. No flash or impressive highlight reels but will show up and put in week after week. Also all 3 (and Mead) are professional and experienced. I think the recruitment team is rebuilding club culture from the ground up and signing based on personalities.

And I like that a lot. AND if the board is actually learning from their MANY mistakes, I am very happy about that too.

And I like that a lot. AND if the board is actually learning from their MANY mistakes, I am very happy about that too.
Offa -> Asiata
Bird -> Mann
Boyd -> Mead+Copley

Offa -> Asiata
Bird -> Mann
Boyd -> Mead+Copley

And hopefully a fair bit of money left over. I like it. This squad is not premiership ready, not even close but these kinds of cheap journeymen are needed in every side and until Brisbane only really has Glenn in that mould.

Plus, some of the kids are not ready for a full season of first grade as last year plainly showed, so this helps push them back in the pecking order a little until they are ready.

That's how you get your recruitment and your roster back on track.

first you get yourself those hardworking, professional, experienced players that will make you more competitive ... they'll complement your young talent that's coming through the ranks, but won't break the bank ...

then you bide your time until the right, superstar marquee player becomes available for you to go hard at, that will take your team to the next level making them premiership contenders.

to summarize ... do the exact opposite of what the Titans have been doing for the last decade

So would I but I’m not holding my breath.

It doesn’t get any more positive than this:
2021 ladder on fox sports.
We’re at the top, start the finals series now!
08F68021 D8CC 4781 A577 4F0F4EB9B935

Last edited:
I went through the first 10 rounds, and provided a fair bit of luck goes our way, I've got us at 5-5. Victories over Parra and the Titans twice which will take a big effort.

I went through the first 10 rounds, and provided a fair bit of luck goes our way, I've got us at 5-5. Victories over Parra and the Titans twice which will take a big effort.

Can’t see it.
We’ve got parra and the tits twice plus the storm, bunnies and panthers in the first 10 rounds which is a bloody nightmare.
I reckon we will be lucky to get 3 wins.
Hope I’m wrong but it doesn’t look good.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.