Broncos positivity thread

Riki also had the awareness to 'tackle' one of his own players as he was being dragged to the sidelines.

It's one of those 1% tactics that other teams do, but we don't seem to be aware of when it's happening in the game
He was often the first contact in the tackle too, not one to flop in late on tackles just to get credited with a stat.

Was impressed with TC Robati in the Wynnum trial, if he's 19 then he's going to be absolutely huge when he's done growing. Sharp footwork and crunching defence.

The best time to buy real estate is when nobody else wants to buy. The best time to be a broncos fan is right now :)

There is a definite smell of competency wafting around the club. A very different smell from last year.

There is embers glowing, let’s hope Donuty can stoke the club back to life and Kevvie’s coaching team can be as good as they look on paper.

There is embers glowing, let’s hope Donuty can stoke the club back to life and Kevvie’s coaching team can be as good as they look on paper.

I’d say the fires are out and smoke is cleared. But the land is still blackened and dead. But under the ashes and rubble some flora is starting to grow back.

Last edited:
I’d say the fires are out and smoke is cleared. But the land is still blackened and dead. But under the ashes and rubble some flora is starting to grow back.

I can work with that.

Buzz is so negative on the Broncs this year in the Murdoch Mail this morning. We need CS9 else we will be a bottom 4 side. What tripe. The senior players lost were part of the clearing of bad timber, the young squad is a year older and will jump at a taste of success I predict.

I get that ... but there's no evidence we haven't turned it around. My point is more about the futility of predicting anything with the coach and player carousel that runs full tilt at this time of year ... seems like a pointless exercise to me.
But there’s also no evidence that we have. Add to that our list of players who are out and the ones who have been signed, you’d be brave to predict anything other than a broncos wooden spoon at this stage.

But there’s also no evidence that we have. Add to that our list of players who are out and the ones who have been signed, you’d be brave to predict anything other than a broncos wooden spoon at this stage.
Dollars to donuts we don't come last this year. The only way I see that happening is if there's a truly horrific injury toll that outdoes last year's horrowshow.

There is plenty of factors that are no longer in play that common sense says we will be doing better at least.
  • Law of averages says we should not see a repeat of the horrific injury toll this year.
  • We lost Fifita but in all seriousness he barely played last year so there is very little difference.
  • All players have a years worth of additional experience.
  • The whole joint seems happier and more united. Removing a coach that had divided the team and replacing him with one that is focused on restoring pride and unity will have this impact.
  • Yes there are question marks on Kevvie's inexperience as coach around the tactics but he has good assistants to help with this.
  • Yes the signing have not been superstars but a guy like Asiata is an astute purchase and his ballplaying will give us another dimension and hopefully signals the farewell of the constant one out bullshit.
I'm sure there are more things but that is about the extent of the effort I am prepared to in at this stage.

Broncos 2018:

giphy.gif

Broncos 2019:
giphy.gif

Broncos 2020:
giphy.gif

Broncos 2021?
tenor.gif

Broncos 2022?
tenor.gif

Those two really are at opposite ends of the second row spectrum. Fifita is incredible at unstructured running and breaking the line without any sort of run-up, whereas Riki runs his structured lines fast and hard every time.

Last night showed how easy it is to shut down Fifita and how hard it is to stop Riki.

Side note, last night when Maori where down to 12 men Riki ran across to the opposite side of the field to help make a tackle, then ran back to his spot the next play. He seems like a good team player.

I just do not see this "spectrum" of second row play that you describe. I do agree with the ringing endorsement of Riki however I am unsure about the accuracy of your assessment of Fifita. As I see it, Fifita is indeed great at as you termed it, "unstructured running" but for mine, that is more a function of the Broncos shitty rabble of a game plan than some intrinsic property of Fifita's playing style. We "threw it to Fifita" because our game plan allowed no planned, structured options to allow line running say, of the sort you attributed to Riki. What Fifita did when playing for us was simply all that he was allowed to do by our game plan, or rather, the total lack of any coherent one, designed to maximise strengths and opportunities.

I am sure that Holbrook will have Fifita running very structured lines based on a very different game plan to what we had when Fifita played for us. I reckon to underestimate both Fifita and how Holbrook intends to deploy him is a big mistake. I have already read that Holbrook is developing combinations between Fifita and Fogarty as a sign of things to come.

Last edited:
The positive in losing Fifita and Sua is that the production line of second-rowers continues to (seemingly at least) be pretty strong. Lose Fifita, Gillett and Su'A and replace with Riki and Piakura, that is pretty solid. No I am not saying either of these kids are currently even remotely close to being as good as Fifita and Su'A are or will be but they both look extremely promising. Riki seems to have hit the NRL ground running. Piakura still very much an unknown.

Lose Arrow and McGuire and have Carrigan and Bullemor coming through. The forward production line at the Broncos continues to be strong at least.

Last edited:
The positive in losing Fifita and Sua is that the production line of second-rowers continues to (seemingly at least) be pretty strong. Lose Fifita, Gillett and Su'A and replace with Riki and Piakura, that is pretty solid. No I am not saying either of these kids are currently even remotely close to being as good as Fifita and Su'A are or will be but they both look extremely promising. Riki seems to have hit the NRL ground running. Piakura still very much an unknown.

Lose Arrow and McGuire and have Carrigan and Bullemor coming through. The forward production line at the Broncos continues to be strong at least.

Must just fill the whole organisation with pride knowing they are the 'nice guys' of the NRL, so generously spending all their time developing this elite talent for the benefit of the rest of the competition. So glad that we can help everyone out so much by bringing these young superstars through the ranks so they can move on to other clubs, gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside :)

Last edited:
Must just fill the whole organisation with pride knowing they are the 'nice guys' of the NRL, so generously spending all their time developing this elite talent for the benefit of the rest of the competition. So glad that we can help everyone out so much by bringing these young superstars through the ranks so they can move on to other clubs, gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside :)

This is the positivity thread mate.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.