Broncos re-sign Joe Ofahengaue until 2019

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k=62842eb7a2e4cfd155e9b2ac3703fe2d-1500370245

Joe Ofahengaue the latest signing in the Broncos’ $4.5 million retention drive

WAYNE Bennett says Brisbane are building a roster to break the club’s 11-year premiership drought after Joe Ofahengaue became the latest signing in the Broncos’ $4.5 million retention drive.
The Courier-Mail can reveal Ofahengaue has inked a new two-year deal in a major boost for the rising prop as he braces for a showdown with Bulldogs hulk David Klemmer at Suncorp Stadium.
The Broncos are set to announce the retention of the 21-year-old — the nephew of Wallabies great Willie Ofahengaue — until the end of 2019.
Bennett is presiding over one of the most aggressive recruitment-and-retention drives in the club’s history as the super coach attempts to deliver the Broncos’ first title since 2006.
Ofahengaue is the seventh Bronco in four months to sign a new deal — joining Andrew McCullough, Alex Glenn, Josh McGuire, Corey Oates, Kodi Nikorima and million-dollar man Anthony Milford.
By season’s end, that figure will swell to a staggering 10 top-liners, with Kiwi Test utility Jordan Kahu, centre James Roberts and skipper Darius Boyd poised to ink lucrative extensions.
With NSW Origin centre Jack Bird joining the Broncos stable from next season, Bennett believes he has the artillery to snap the longest title drought in Brisbane’s history.
“Every year we want to win a premiership,” Bennett told The Courier-Mail. “I accept it doesn’t always happen that way, but that’s our aim.
“You can buy the odd player but the great strength of the Broncos has always been bringing young guys through and retaining them and we’re doing that now.
“The last time we won a premiership (in 2006), 16 players in that squad started their careers at the Broncos.
“It’s the whole system here that keeps players loyal. Guys like Matt Gillett, Alex Glenn, Kodi Nikorima, Josh McGuire ... they have all made long-term sacrifices to us.
“Even in today’s market, we will always try to remain competitive and go as close as we can to winning another premiership.”
Brisbane chief executive Paul White said Ofahengaue’s retention is another sign the Broncos are building a formidable roster.
“Joe showed us how much promise he had when he played an NRL grand final in his first season of NRL at age 20,” White said.
“We have always seen him as an important part of our future. To have him sign a two-year deal is wonderful news for the club, our members and our supporters.”
Ofahengaue’s re-signing is reward for his attitude shift and form revival. The Junior Kangaroo drifted in and out of first grade last season but in the past month Ofahengaue has recaptured the form that made him a member of Brisbane’s 2015 grand final team.
The Tongan international charged for 126 metres against Newcastle last Saturday night and says he has “grown up” as he prepares to take on Bulldogs enforcer Klemmer.
“I let myself down last year, but I’ve had a few chats with Wayne,” he said. “I thought about where I going and changing my attitude has really helped me this year.”

Happy to see joffa really aim up this season. From what I've heard he has a crazy motor which makes him another Jarrod wallace type player. We've seen how good wallace has become and I have no doubts joffa will be just as good if not better.

Awesome. If we can keep one more forward, I'll be as happy as I can be with our depth. It's up to Joe to keep us his standard now and develop from there. We can't afford him to plateau or drop off again.

That's good. I'm totally back on the JOF train. He had a rough patch last year, but he's only 21. He could be an absolute gun if he keeps motivated.

Happy to see joffa really aim up this season. From what I've heard he has a crazy motor which makes him another Jarrod wallace type player. We've seen how good wallace has become and I have no doubts joffa will be just as good if not better.
I've heard the same in regards to his motor. However Wayne doesn't seem to keen on giving middle forwards massive minutes these days. Not since Corey Parker several years ago have we had a middle forward play a regular 80 minutes. I think McGuire would be capable of 80mins in the middle as well.

I've heard the same in regards to his motor. However Wayne doesn't seem to keen on giving middle forwards massive minutes these days. Not since Corey Parker several years ago have we had a middle forward play a regular 80 minutes. I think McGuire would be capable of 80mins in the middle as well.
His motor is fine, it's what is running through his head that has been the main concern for him. Hopefully a new deal will give him some financial stability and some newfound confidence.

I don't think big motor players need to necessarily play the 80. Play 50-55 at a consistently high performance and rotate the bench well. It's why McGuire is so valuable now IMO.

Very happy to see joffa sign on... he is absolutely churning out the meters at the moment and he's only 21. Huge potential and I'd like to see it realised at the broncos.

2 year deal is a little worrying as we'll have to go through the retention process with him again next year, but that might keep him pushing as he looks for the big pay day

Official -

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/07/19/broncos_re_sign_youn.af_news.html

THE NRMA Insurance Broncos have secured the future of another young gun with the re-signing of international forward Joe Ofahengaue.
Ofahengaue will be a Bronco until at least the end of the 2019 season after signing a new two-year deal with the club.
The giant prop, who played in the 2015 NRL Grand Final for the Broncos, has now played 40 NRL games for the club.
He has already represented Tonga at senior level and is still only 21 years of age.
Broncos’ chief executive Paul White said the retention of Ofahengaue was a further boost for the club as they set to play the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night.
The Broncos also announced the re-signing of New Zealand international Kodi Nikorima earlier this week.
“Joe showed us just how much promise he had when he played an NRL grand final in his first season of NRL at age 20,” said White.
“We have always seen him as an important part of our future.
“To have him sign a two-year deal is wonderful news for the club, our members and our supporters.”

Great article but I'm a little disheartened that Ese was prioritised over a guy who speaks like that about the club.

I can remember last time Joe came off contract and there was big money offers coming from GC but he stuck solid with broncos.

He dominated the 20's and to me it's only a matter of time before he acclimatises to NRL level. At 21 he's a guy we need to keep in the club more so after that article... get Webcke in there for a bit of mentoring as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article but I'm a little disheartened that Ese was prioritised over a guy who speaks like that about the club.

I can remember last time Joe came off contract and there was big money offers coming from GC but he stuck solid with broncos.

He dominated the 20's and to me it's only a matter of time before he acclimatises to NRL level. At 21 he's a guy we need to keep in the club more so after that article... get Webcke in there for a bit of mentoring as well

Absolutely get Webcke in there! These guys do need to have some more passion and play with all their heart every game. If Joe can remember his reasons every game he would be a beast! Webcke was all class, all passion and every other player saw that and fired up because of it. That's what this club has really been missing since Locky left. In 2015 they started to really feel it again but they lost it. If they get some grit and some passion they would be unstoppable. I half believe they have it coached out of them with all the set pieces etc. Forwards are almost coached to hit their knees and get a quick play the ball rather than fight and scrap every hit up. Could you imagine if every one of our forwards played like Webcke or Carrol or Petero or even Tallis? Those boys turned up every game wanting to run over the top of the other team, wanting to score tries, wanting to hurt blokes and wanting to win. That's the difference. These days half the lads just want to get paid and look pretty. They want to finesse their way through and throw a backhanded offload. They need to break the line, stomp the other lads and just run hard first. I would take a passionate bloke over a skilled bloke any day. You can shut down a skill, it's so much harder to stop passion and intent.

Absolutely get Webcke in there! These guys do need to have some more passion and play with all their heart every game. If Joe can remember his reasons every game he would be a beast! Webcke was all class, all passion and every other player saw that and fired up because of it. That's what this club has really been missing since Locky left. In 2015 they started to really feel it again but they lost it. If they get some grit and some passion they would be unstoppable. I half believe they have it coached out of them with all the set pieces etc. Forwards are almost coached to hit their knees and get a quick play the ball rather than fight and scrap every hit up. Could you imagine if every one of our forwards played like Webcke or Carrol or Petero or even Tallis? Those boys turned up every game wanting to run over the top of the other team, wanting to score tries, wanting to hurt blokes and wanting to win. That's the difference. These days half the lads just want to get paid and look pretty. They want to finesse their way through and throw a backhanded offload. They need to break the line, stomp the other lads and just run hard first. I would take a passionate bloke over a skilled bloke any day. You can shut down a skill, it's so much harder to stop passion and intent.

Webcke was just one of those types that always put in 110% no matter when it was. He always ran as hard at the end of a game as he did at the start of a game.

I still remember in the '06 GF. There was a minute left on the clock, Broncos had a scrum, there was absolutely no chance Storm could score enough points to win and he was still barking orders at the players.

And in that same game, one of our players got smashed.. So he returned serve on a kick return and sent Hill flying. Plus that run in the lead up to the field goal.

Webcke was just one of those types that always put in 110% no matter when it was. He always ran as hard at the end of a game as he did at the start of a game.

I still remember in the '06 GF. There was a minute left on the clock, Broncos had a scrum, there was absolutely no chance Storm could score enough points to win and he was still barking orders at the players.
And yet there are no highlight videos of the man... Freaky! I'm hoping you could do your thing!

Webcke is one of my all time favourite Broncos. Absolute champion of a player and bloke.

Well, you could choose to look at it a wee bit differently.......

The Broncos wanted Ese of course, but as soon as it was clear that he either wanted more cash than we could reasonably afford, or that he didn't have the same heart for the Broncos that Joe had, (or both) WB pulled the offer

In that sense, the Broncos didn't really prioritise Herman over Joe, or at least not for long

Well, you could choose to look at it a wee bit differently.......

The Broncos wanted Ese of course, but as soon as it was clear that he either wanted more cash than we could reasonably afford, or that he didn't have the same heart for the Broncos that Joe had, (or both) WB pulled the offer

In that sense, the Broncos didn't really prioritise Herman over Joe, or at least not for long

Exactly! They could've upped the offer and let joe walk.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Culhwch
  • Redux
  • Ffs...
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.