Broncos re-sign Kodi Nikorima until 2020

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...brisbane-7a2e4cfd155e9b2ac3703fe2d-1500248686

THE Broncos have secured their replacement for departing halfback Ben Hunt after re-signing Kodi Nikorima for a further three seasons.
Nikorima has inked an upgraded deal with the Broncos which will see him stay at the club until at least the end of 2020.
Nikorima was originally expected to activate a one-year option in his current contract to stay at the Broncos next year.
However he negotiated a new deal for a further two years to cement his long-term future.
With Hunt to join the Dragons next season, the Broncos were desperate to secure the Kiwi international and they have got their man.
The deal could be officially announced as early as Monday.
Nikorima was dropped for last Saturday’s clash against Newcastle but could earn a recall for Thursday’s clash with the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium.
The retention of Nikorima is a boost for the Broncos after Newcastle snared Tautau Moga and Herman Ese’ese to lucrative deals last week.

I have serious doubts about Nikorima as a half ...

I guess we can rule out making a play for Taylor

It's a bit of a strange one on both sides. Clubs don't go looking for utilities and I think no one else would be looking to buy Kodi as a half so that'd be his only position outside Brisbane. Probably figures it's best to stay where he can be a half and the club needed someone who can play there to be signed.

I'd have to defer to WBs call on this as I haven't seen enough from him to be certain he's the man for the future. He has plenty of ability in some areas.

I have serious doubts about Nikorima as a half ...

I guess we can rule out making a play for Taylor

Is it possible to groom niko as the next hooker and still get Taylor?

Or, because Kodi went on a bit of a slump and was found out a bit once the easy-beat opposition dried up, Bennett was able to use our position to sign him for 3 more years on a relatively modest deal. He has a huge amount of improvement in him, so he may well end up our long-term halfback, but if not, having a pretty handy backup or simply another utility on our books won't be the worst thing ever. So long as it's not at a ridiculous price.

Or, because Kodi went on a bit of a slump and was found out a bit once the easy-beat opposition dried up, Bennett was able to use our position to sign him for 3 more years on a relatively modest deal. He has a huge amount of improvement in him, so he may well end up our long-term halfback, but if not, having a pretty handy backup or simply another utility on our books won't be the worst thing ever. So long as it's not at a ridiculous price.

I suppose it depends on the deal. they said "upgraded deal" so you'd be looking at least 300k, but i suspect it would be a fair bit more than that

Exactly, they wouldn't have smashed the piggy bank to retain him and it's not like any other clubs are chasing his services. I don't ever see a regular starting role for him but he is a decent back up during Origin and in an injury crisis.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • Redux
  • Ffs...
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • john1420
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.