Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just **** him off now.
The cowboys interest is nothing new. Just something that has been rehashed on a slow news day.

I dont blame him for exploring his options, he would be silly not to make his decision without having all info available to him. However, now that he has had his chats with other teams, the broncos should make their pitch, a fair wage (based upon his performance) and a deadline when we expect a decision to be made.

Then both parties can move on, without it being a constant disruption to the season.

Why would he go there to be behind Feldt and Hammer.........fark they can have him, we'll take Hammer.

Last edited:
Perhaps, he's barely a winger tho, sure he has height , a bit of toe and can some what catch but he certainly hasn't shown anything else to make me think he would be even remotely a serviceable centre.

I am not saying it is a good idea but the Cows do need a centre. Also, Coates was a really promising centre coming through the grades, it is likely where he will end up. Right now though, he is a guy who can sometimes jump really well and sometimes finish really well, everything else needs a lot of work.

He may be a centre to rival inglis down the track, but that doesnt mean we should pay him like he already is.
That's the principal problem we have been getting into that has led us here. We have too often paid on potential rather than performance.
It's understandable in a way in that our juniors in recent times out performed senior players on better coin, but now is the time to pay on expectations.
Last year, no one performed at a standard worthy of good money with the exception of carrigan and Haas.
They are the only two players I would throw money at to keep. One has already captained the team and the other is potentially a future immortal and current test player.
Everyone else needs to justify the money they are on, coates included.
Right now despite rep. selection he is not much more than a serviceable wing.
We should be paying him for that with an option for the club at a much higher pay grade down the track.
I keep hearing how wonderful he is and think back to Kahu, the knickorima boys and the like.
Similar things were said about them.
Don't get me wrong, he's a good prospect and if he stays might be a club legend some day but it won't be in the next two years and it will take a lot of work regardless of who he gets paid by.
That's the thing. If you look at Haas and carrigan (and even farnsworth), they are putting in the work to be better players. Is coates working hard enough? Maybe Wolfie can tell us.
The thing is he can do all the hard work, train for hours on end and an injury a year down the track might mean your future inglis is now Jordan Kahu.

He may be a centre to rival inglis down the track, but that doesnt mean we should pay him like he already is.
That's the principal problem we have been getting into that has led us here. We have too often paid on potential rather than performance.
It's understandable in a way in that our juniors in recent times out performed senior players on better coin, but now is the time to pay on expectations.
Last year, no one performed at a standard worthy of good money with the exception of carrigan and Haas.
They are the only two players I would throw money at to keep. One has already captained the team and the other is potentially a future immortal and current test player.
We should be paying him for that with an option for the club at a much higher pay grade down the track.
I keep hearing how wonderful he is and think back to Kahu, the knickorima boys and the like.
Don't get me wrong, he's a good prospect and if he stays might be a club legend some day but it won't be in the next two years and it will take a lot of work regardless of who he gets paid by.
That's the thing. If you look at Haas and carrigan (and even farnsworth), they are putting in the work to be better players. Is coates working hard enough? Maybe Wolfie can tell us.
The thing is he can do all the hard work, train for hours on end and an injury a year down the track might mean your future inglis is now Jordan Kahu.

I honestly couldnt say about Coates if he is working hard or not. Probably better qualified people than me around here.

I am not saying it is a good idea but the Cows do need a centre. Also, Coates was a really promising centre coming through the grades, it is likely where he will end up. Right now though, he is a guy who can sometimes jump really well and sometimes finish really well, everything else needs a lot of work.
Agree 100% plus he has the turning circle of a B Double

Absolutely agree, the 3 things that got us in this huge mess is:
1. Choosing Milford over Hunt... I know Hunt hasn’t done well at the dragons but he played so well for us and never felt that pressure he does now
2. The contracts we have handed out... Overpaying players based off potential or just for the sake of keeping them as well as handing every Tom dick and Harry a bloody Player option... we get manipulated in the player market... our club is known to be a desired destination for many players why not let the disloyal useless bastards go and replace them with talent

3. Recruitment and Retention... If you look at the Seibolds reign and the months before the amount of quality players that have been replaced with entitled nobody youngsters who think their shit don’t stink, getting paid to do **** all is ridiculous... I’m not saying all of them should of stayed but the likes of McGuire, Su’A, McCullough could have made a huge difference to our side... this isn’t just player recruitment either the Seibolds signing was an absolute **** up and they supported a second year coach with absolutely fucken nobodies

I know I said 3 reasons but this has just fucked the club up immensely and it’s losing Cronk and Smith to the Storm... It’s fucked our side up and for years now instead of replacing players we lost with other quality players on the market we replace them in hope that the next GI, Cronk, Smith, Lockyer emerges and we don’t fucken need that... they are trying to get a team of 20 year old future immortals and it’s impossible and that is why we are coming last and that’s why we are so fucked and have lost the status that we once had

And when the player manager prompts his player to go to the supreme court citing restriction of trade .
What`s plan B ?

No restraint of trade... they are free to talk to other teams, but if they do then Broncos won't deal with them anymore.

The main point is to stop these players from going out shopping themselves around and opening themselves up to stupid money offers like the Titans threw at Fifita.

Mostly like your posts Harry, but we don't need a guy that I would feel uncomfortable introducing my Cocker Spaniel bitch to, sorry Harry but its a NO from me.

Haha! I would agree, I wasn't suggesting I was a proponent of it - more just interested in where people here stood on it considering many have been clamouring for an experienced playmaker like Widdop. I personally don't think we need him, let alone want him. I want Dearden to have his chance as the dominant half and if we wanted an experienced hand to guide him I'd prefer Benji (unfortunately he doesn't wish to leave Sydney)

Haha! I would agree, I wasn't suggesting I was a proponent of it - more just interested in where people here stood on it considering many have been clamouring for an experienced playmaker like Widdop. I personally don't think we need him, let alone want him. I want Dearden to have his chance as the dominant half and if we wanted an experienced hand to guide him I'd prefer Benji (unfortunately he doesn't wish to leave Sydney)
Yeah I agree, we need Dearden to come on in 2021,Kev ain't stupid, he will have Alfie working on him

According to nrl.com, the Titans are interested in Coates (of course they are) and we’ve offered an upgraded deal. Why we have offered an upgraded deal I have no idea. He isn’t worth that much yet.

According to nrl.com, the Titans are interested in Coates (of course they are) and we’ve offered an upgraded deal. Why we have offered an upgraded deal I have no idea. He isn’t worth that much yet.
All pointless without numbers. Did we low ball him with 200k and then upgraded? I think he's worth up to 400k/2 years, no more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • Fozz
  • Morkel
  • Thelmus
  • johnny plath
  • HarryAllan7
  • Jedhead
  • sooticus
  • mieko
  • Porthoz
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.