Broncos sack two staff members

Please be Kearney and the Strength & Conditioning coach

I think guilfoyle was the guy that said he conditions the players just enough to do their jobs, and not to be at their fittest, because they're footy players not triathletes... Good riddance.

Isn't he a development officer?

He was interviewed last year and was talking about how the Broncos should focus on local talents.

Cheers. Conditioner I can understand. Media guy not so much.
You might remember him as the guy who pulled Hoffman away from media mid-interview after eels game, he's also a development officer.

Can't wait to see the courier mail for the first time in a while

Hope Kearney goes and someone with an idea about defense comes in.

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

BESIEGED Broncos coach Anthony Griffin has made the agonising call to sack two senior staffers following the worst season in Brisbane's 25-year history.

The bloodletting at the Broncos has begun, with high-performance chief Tony Guilfoyle paying a fatal price for Brisbane's second finals wipe-out in four seasons.

Guilfoyle was joined at the Red Hill exits by football manager James Hinchey, who was also terminated as part of the club's sweeping annual performance review.

The pair were personally fired by Griffin in face-to-face meetings on Tuesday.

Broncos players were subsequently notified by text message, with Griffin deciding a shake-up of his staff was necessary after Brisbane's dismal 12th-placed finish.

It was a gut-wrenching call by Griffin given that Guilfoyle and Hinchey were his offsiders at Redcliffe when the Dolphins won the Queensland Cup premiership in 2006.

Griffin's decision evokes memories of Wayne Bennett's move to sack assistants Kevin Walters, Gary Belcher and Glenn Lazarus in 2005 as pressure built on the master coach.

But the stance will have it critics, who will view Guilfoyle and Hinchey as scapegoats for a season in which Griffin failed to deliver a finals berth with a star-studded line-up.

Griffin declined to comment last night but operations chief Andrew Gee confirmed Guilfoyle and Hinchey, who also handled the club's media liaison duties, had been fired.

"They have been advised they are not a part of our plans moving forward," Gee said.

"The thing we want to stress is everyone here respects them, while they were here they worked their butts off. They are both very well respected at the club and we wish them all the best.

"Right now, we don't know who their replacements are. As soon as we know that, we will make an announcement."

Guilfoyle arrived at the Broncos in 2008 and was installed as the club's head conditioner in April 2010 following the resignation of the highly-credentialled Dean Benton.

Hinchey joined the club in 2009 and had a multi-faceted role, including looking after the Broncos junior-development headquarters which houses some under-20s players.

The former Redcliffe official, who played nine top-grade games for Souths and Parramatta in the 1990s, was last night in shock and coming to terms with his axing.

"The club has made that decision and I need to move on," Hinchey said.

"I'll dust myself and look forward. There's no turning back, they've made a call, it's their prerogative ... it's a tough game at times."

Veteran Broncos forward Corey Parker said last night the playing group felt for the duo.

"The club has made a decision and in professional sport and in business, sometimes these tough calls have to be made," he said.

"It happens in every workplace and it's happened here ... we have to dust ourselves off and go again."

The bloodletting will not flow to Griffin, with his position having been reviewed and deemed safe.

Broncos chief executive Paul White said a Sydney report stating his club had approached Canterbury coach Des Hasler to replace Griffin was baseless.

"That is a disgraceful rumour and without any integrity," White said.

"Anthony Griffin is our coach."

damn Kearney survives ... at least our fitness coach got axed... I don't know what Hincheys job was, so I can't make a judgement on his sacking

Seems like a good move from my point of view, wouldn't mind a full sweep of everyone below Griffin, having 2 new assistant coaches, a new fitness coach, new offensive and defensive coaches next season.

I simply cannot believe that Kearney wasn't sacked, that guy provided nothing, still glad they're making changes though.

Well, fitness was one of the biggest issues, so at least it's a great first step. Fitness is the difference between a big player being good, and a big player being fat. Get someone decent and hopefully we'll see positive changes in our defensive line and also with the bigger forwards like Tasi and Hala.

I simply cannot believe that Kearney wasn't sacked, that guy provided nothing, still glad they're making changes though.
How do you know what he did and didn't provide? Just because he struggled with para doesn't make the guy the source of all our problems, by most reports he's actually quite capable.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Spoon
  • bert_lifts
  • mystico
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • Santa
  • Allo
  • The Don
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Rambstien
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.