NEWS Broncos sign another hooker

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The Broncos have signed table topping Norths Devil hooker Danny Levi for the remainder of 2021. The 25-year-old ex Kiwi and Samoan Test rake has played 103 NRL games for Knights and Manly. That leaves only 1 space left in the 30. Some are still expecting that to be filled by Walter's son Billy.

Walters:

“We have signed Danny to give us some much needed depth in the hooking position behind Jake Turpin who has been very good for us to start the season. We are fortunate to be able to secure a player of Danny’s quality and experience, and he has been playing well at Norths alongside a number of Broncos-listed players who have spoken highly of him."

HDNxEaqoUMAIGLuN
Go west

“This is an example of our Affiliate Club relationship working really well and allowing the best talent to flow back through to the highest level of the game. We look forward to Danny joining the squad for the remainder of the season and playing his part in helping us continue to improve.”

McHunt

One thing that should be considered is how much we are paying him and how much we saved by moving on Macca.

Some reports were we had paid 200k + for Macca this season.. I wonder how much we saved by moving him on only to bring in Levi.

One thing that should be considered is how much we are paying him and how much we saved by moving on Macca.

Some reports were we had paid 200k + for Macca this season.. I wonder how much we saved by moving him on only to bring in Levi.
Any saving on Macca's contract was a lesser consideration in my view to us allowing him to move to the Saints.

We were not going to offer him another contract and he had a 3 year contract on the table for St George to secure his future and take him to retirement.

Given the length of his service to the club, we did the right thing by him allowing him to move. I have no issue with it at all.

I wonder if this means Billy definitely won't be here this year.

I wonder if this means Billy definitely won't be here this year.
What would Walters even be on for them? Minimum wage or close to it? There's honestly no incentive for the Tigers to release him if they can't gain any cap space for doing it. I'd imagine the only reason would be them wanting to use his squad number on someone else who might be there longer term but it's pretty early in the season to be contemplating stuff like that.

They might have a change of heart closer to August but by then I doubt Walters is going to mean much to either club in that scenario for 2020.

What would Walters even be on for them? Minimum wage or close to it? There's honestly no incentive for the Tigers to release him if they can't gain any cap space for doing it. I'd imagine the only reason would be them wanting to use his squad number on someone else who might be there longer term but it's pretty early in the season to be contemplating stuff like that.

They might have a change of heart closer to August but by then I doubt Walters is going to mean much to either club in that scenario for 2020.
The way wests were carrying on earlier this year you'd think billy was a marquee player.

The whole thing is ridiculous, we wouldn't even be interested if he wasn't the coaches son, it's pure nepotism.

Can’t hurt to have some depth at hooker. This is all this is really, and he has played 103 games apparently, so a bit of experience as well. As it’s only for the rest of this season atm, don’t think this is too bad...

The way wests were carrying on earlier this year you'd think billy was a marquee player.

The whole thing is ridiculous, we wouldn't even be interested if he wasn't the coaches son, it's pure nepotism.
I actually complete get their point though. They get no advantage from moving him on to the Broncos just because he wanted to go. If they suffer an injury run and need him there is nothing they can do about it once he's gone, as was the case with Macca for us last year.

At least in Macca's case we were supposedly getting some cap space back, but given Walters is likely already at basically minimum price there is no money to be saved for them and as I said, until later in the year when they potentially want that Top 30 spot freed up for someone who is staying long term I can't see how letting him go provided them any good reason to do it.

Can’t hurt to have some depth at hooker. This is all this is really, and he has played 103 games apparently, so a bit of experience as well. As it’s only for the rest of this season atm, don’t think this is too bad...
Whether people rate Levi specifically, it's hard to argue that this style of pickup to play this role for us is basically a perfect signing.

It gives us an experienced backup to help Turpin off the Bench or cover him being out for any reason and it allows Paix to continue to play Queensland Cup and get decent minutes instead of wasting his time playing cameo minutes for our NRL side which is not in his long term interest.

I had him in various fantasy teams over the years and even as a starter his numbers were always small. It seems he tries hard and has decent service but is not a tackler nor a runner nor a kicker.

I had him in various fantasy teams over the years and even as a starter his numbers were always small. It seems he tries hard and has decent service but is not a tackler nor a runner nor a kicker.
In short, not good for much.

I thought he did some good things at Newcastle, he had a couple great games against the Broncos. I was surprised when the Knights released him. We certainly lack a decent #9, I wouldn't be surprised if he is starting in the very near future. Levi is certainly not the answer but he'll provide a bit more than the guy currently stinking up the position.

I thought he did some good things at Newcastle, he had a couple great games against the Broncos. I was surprised when the Knights released him. We certainly lack a decent #9, I wouldn't be surprised if he is starting in the very near future. Levi is certainly not the answer but he'll provide a bit more than the guy currently stinking up the position.
This comment is actually more plausible than most realise. Kev has all been about accountability and having competition for spots. Maybe he's seen Turpin up close and has realised he's not the kind of dummy half that we need and wants to bring someone in to put pressure on his spot and maybe make him work a bit harder. It also allows Paix time to grow and develop in QCup and Levi is a ready made replacment who Kev can try if he doesn't like what he's getting from Turpin.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.