Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Young Gun Jesse Arthars Joins Broncos

broncos.com.au
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 03:25 PM

Talented young speedster Jesse Arthars has officially joined the Brisbane Broncos for the next two seasons.

The 21-year-old outside back joins the Broncos after stints with Gold Coast, South Sydney and Melbourne – where he was the top point-scorer in the NYC Under 20's competition in 2016 playing at fullback for the Storm.

Arthars went to school at Keebra Park State High School along with other Broncos young guns David Fifita and Payne Haas, and played his junior footy at Runaway Bay and Helensvale.

At 189cm, he is an athletic runner of the ball and has a great ability to read the game both in attack and defense.

He made his NRL debut in Round 8 this year for the Titans and played 12 games on the wing and at centre, scoring twice and recording a number of try assists.

Arthars, who played under now-Broncos coach Anthony Seibold during his season at South Sydney, said he was looking froward to linking back up with his mentor.

“I feel that under (Anthony Seidold) I will be able to develop and be the best player I can – I’m ready to go for this year,” said Arthars.

“I think there’e a great opportunity at Brisbane for me – it’s such a prestigious club and to have the opportunity to hopefully represent the Broncos one day is a dream for me.

“I’d love to link up with some of the boys I went to school with here in Dave Fifita and big Payne (Haas), and I also played a lot of Under 20's with Jake Turpin ((in Melbourne).

“And I’d also like to learn off the more experienced heads here like Matt Lodge and Darius Boyd … it’s going to be a great experience and I’m going to soak it all up.”

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/10/29/young-gun-jesse-arthars-joins-broncos/

Young Gun Jesse Arthars Joins Broncos

broncos.com.au
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 03:25 PM

Talented young speedster Jesse Arthars has officially joined the Brisbane Broncos for the next two seasons.

The 21-year-old outside back joins the Broncos after stints with Gold Coast, South Sydney and Melbourne – where he was the top point-scorer in the NYC Under 20's competition in 2016 playing at fullback for the Storm.

Arthars went to school at Keebra Park State High School along with other Broncos young guns David Fifita and Payne Haas, and played his junior footy at Runaway Bay and Helensvale.

View attachment 6503

At 189cm, he is an athletic runner of the ball and has a great ability to read the game both in attack and defense.

He made his NRL debut in Round 8 this year for the Titans and played 12 games on the wing and at centre, scoring twice and recording a number of try assists.

Arthars, who played under now-Broncos coach Anthony Seibold during his season at South Sydney, said he was looking froward to linking back up with his mentor.

“I feel that under (Anthony Seidold) I will be able to develop and be the best player I can – I’m ready to go for this year,” said Arthars.

View attachment 6502

“I think there’e a great opportunity at Brisbane for me – it’s such a prestigious club and to have the opportunity to hopefully represent the Broncos one day is a dream for me.

“I’d love to link up with some of the boys I went to school with here in Dave Fifita and big Payne (Haas), and I also played a lot of Under 20's with Jake Turpin ((in Melbourne).

“And I’d also like to learn off the more experienced heads here like Matt Lodge and Darius Boyd … it’s going to be a great experience and I’m going to soak it all up.”

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/10/29/young-gun-jesse-arthars-joins-broncos/

Seems like a nice kid, hope he does well.

I also picked up on something moderately interesting in the interview..

Jesse: “And I’d also like to learn off the more experienced heads here like Matt Lodge, Darius Boyd and Matt Gillett, it’s going to be a great experience and I’m going to soak it all up.”

What the Broncos put in the article: “And I’d also like to learn off the more experienced heads here like Matt Lodge and Darius Boyd … it’s going to be a great experience and I’m going to soak it all up.”

Hinting that Gillett is retiring? 👀

Seems like a nice kid, hope he does well.

I also picked up on something moderately interesting in the interview..

Jesse: “And I’d also like to learn off the more experienced heads here like Matt Lodge, Darius Boyd and Matt Gillett, it’s going to be a great experience and I’m going to soak it all up.”

What the Broncos put in the article: “And I’d also like to learn off the more experienced heads here like Matt Lodge and Darius Boyd … it’s going to be a great experience and I’m going to soak it all up.”

Hinting that Gillett is retiring? 👀
Good pickup. Hopefully you're onto something. As much as I think Gillett was a great player and is a top bloke, He just isn't providing value for us at all anymore. If he was on $300k or something id be okay with him hanging around, but he's on something like $700k and he is probably our fourth or fifth best second rower at the moment (based off 2019 form).

Side note; Jesse seems like a good bloke too. Although, has this guy ever stepped foot in a gym? seems very small. I'm happy for him and Isaako to battle it out for the fullback spot, with the loser likely being the right winger.

I think he will prove fairly useful, more so than somebody like Hoppa is for us, but I'm not convinced he will be a starter.

Gillett retiring would be sad but very important for this team moving forward. It would free up enough cap to extend Fifita and sign Croft surely with Boyd's and Macca's money also freeing up next season if not before (if Manly go for Macca in light of their hooker's issues).

So who goes to fullback?

1. Arthurs / Niu / Isaako / Bird / Boyd (please no!!!) / Milford / other?

Ideal back 7
1. Isaako / Arthurs
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Arthurs / Isaako
6. Milford
7. Croft

Likely back 7.
1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Boyd
5. Isaako
6. Bird
7. Dearden

God i hope it's the first one... haha

So who goes to fullback?

1. Arthurs / Niu / Isaako / Bird / Boyd (please no!!!) / Milford / other?

@Sproj Hopefully one of Isaako, Arthurs or Niu. I think we're better with Bird at centre, Milford in the halves and Boyd out of the side.

Ideal back 7
1. Isaako / Arthurs
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Arthurs / Isaako
6. Milford
7. Croft

Likely back 7.
1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Boyd
5. Isaako
6. Bird
7. Dearden

God i hope it's the first one... haha

3 people in a row spelling his name wrong, it's time to bust out the 2020 Dictionary I think.

Well I hope he comes on well but what does this mean for Farnworth? He seems NRL ready but seems to keep having pathways into the side blocked.

3 people in a row spelling his name wrong, it's time to bust out the 2020 Dictionary I think.
In my defence, i made a point of copying them because I thought "surely they couldn't both be wrong". haha
[automerge]1572326702[/automerge]
Well I hope he comes on well but what does this mean for Farnworth? He seems NRL ready but seems to keep having pathways into the side blocked.
I think Farnsworth and Coates are both strong contenders in 2021, and may find themselves in the squad on a few occasions this year. I rate them both above Shibasaki, purely because he has played more games, and done absolutely nothing.

In 2021, I doubt Bird will still be around, Boyd will definitely be gone, Oates could potentially be gone also. Also, by 2021, we will know where Isaako lies. I don't think he is a great winger, but if he shines at fullback he will have a spot there. I definitely think fullback is a better suit for Isaako as he is very effort based, and I think would do well there.

Last edited:
What are the odds Arthars gets the starting fullback gig?

Gillett retiring would be sad but very important for this team moving forward. It would free up enough cap to extend Fifita and sign Croft surely with Boyd's and Macca's money also freeing up next season if not before (if Manly go for Macca in light of their hooker's issues).

If Gillett retires will we get his money off our cap?

I am so conflicted about the possibility of this. I love Gillett and is one of my favourite players but unfortunately I can never see him getting back to even close to what he was and we cannot afford to carry his huge contract going forward.

What are the odds Arthars gets the starting fullback gig?
Id like for Isaako to get first crack, at least in the trials. But if Jesse does well there then good on him. He has a connection with Haas and Fifita and played with Turpin too so it probably wouldn't be the worst thing for him to be in the spine. I haven't seen enough of him to really make comment. Ideally, I just want a fullback that is super fit and good with support play. Someone just feeding off Haas, Fifita, TPJ etc with their offloads.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • Bish
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.