Broncos sign Joe Boyce

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Joe Boyce from the Knights Under 20's team, just signed for two years, plays lock.

Is he better than the back rowers we have in the 20s

He's not the biggest or most talented player but he's a tough Queenslander in the mould of a Dallas Johnson and is constantly putting his hand up.

I'd have Arrow ahead of him in the pecking order but considering he probably came up here for nothing more than an opportunity, I don't begrudge the club.

Hi all, newbie here, been reading this blog for a while now and decided to jump in......be gentle now...!!

I feel that Wayne Bennett has been watching this kid for a while now and he represent a known commodity to the coach, a big plus when switching clubs without being a established first grader.

Should we read between the lines here and assume that Bennett does not rate the likes of Lowrie or Stagg so has decided to freshen things up in the back row?

I'm happy for WB to view both Stagg and Lowrie as "surplus" material.

Hi all, newbie here, been reading this blog for a while now and decided to jump in......be gentle now...!!

I feel that Wayne Bennett has been watching this kid for a while now and he represent a known commodity to the coach, a big plus when switching clubs without being a established first grader.

Should we read between the lines here and assume that Bennett does not rate the likes of Lowrie or Stagg so has decided to freshen things up in the back row?

Dazza, firstly, welcome aboard. It's always wonderful to see an influx of new subscribers to the forum such as yourself. One can never have too much in terms of diversity of opinion. I think you will find that BHQ is widely regarded as the pre-eminent blog in rugby league circles when it comes to discussing our team.

Now, to the matter at hand, I tend to agree with your assessment of the signing of this young lad. WB has obviously been watching him on a semi-regular basis and believes he will be of some value. Will definitely be watching with renewed enthusiasm as to whether the youngster can take the step to the next level under WB's tutelage.

I doubt even their mothers rate them anymore.

I don't think you can really make that leap. Boyce is probably a few years from first grade with the players we currently have at our disposal whereas Lowrie and Stagg are probably a few years from retirement.

Fair enough, and you are right you cannot discount the first grade status of both of these 2, they are after all experienced and known commodities.

Perhaps we will see a gradual phasing in of the likes of Boyce onto the bench at the expense of Stagg and Lowrie as the season progresses..?....time will tell i guess..?

Perhaps we will see a gradual phasing in of the likes of Boyce onto the bench at the expense of Stagg and Lowrie as the season progresses..?....time will tell i guess..?

I genuinely hope so.

I can't say I've seen much of him. I haven't been able to really sit down and watch the other teams U20's this year. It seems quite a few people rate him, though.

I am looking forward to seeing him play next year.

I doubt Stagg will see any first grade next year. As for Lowrie, he's likely to play some off the bench but I feel as though he will be surplus to needs . Reading between the lines I can see WB getting rid of several players in 2015 and 2016 with some who were regulars in 2014 struggling to get a run next year. Unless Thaiday convinces WB in the off season I think we may see him take some easy cash in England with 2015 being his last season in Bronco colours. Like others have said the new look Broncos will be just that. One player I am really looking forward to seeing play is Garbutt ,with a good off season he may be a revelation. We haven't played a game yet but already I feel as though we will finally get our team back instead of the poorly coached team of recent seasons.

I cant work out the Boyce signing, he has very limited attack if any at all and is just an o'k defender. It puzzles me in the fact that I would have thought that Adams and Arrow were better options coming through???? I'm guessing Wayne doesn't think there is much that excites him in the current 20's squad.

Hopefully Arrow will be groomed for lock after Parker goes

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Scorchie
  • Waynesaurus
  • Yellowfella
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • Cavalo
  • bb_gun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.