OFFICIAL Broncos sign Ryan James

BooKhaki

QCup Player
Sep 16, 2020
Threads
Like i said, it was meant to be more humorous to indicate that we aren't that far apart on the contract side if you are at 200k and my assumption is closer to 250k. There was no snark.

Its a shame that is all you took from the discussion though, sensitive or not.
If his contract is 250k per year, I believe that's a waste of 100k.

Sproj

International Captain
Forum Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Threads
If his contract is 250k per year, I believe that's a waste of 100k.

I actually don't think your view is that much different to others. None of us would be happy if he has signed on for more than $xk (for me this is 200k). There are likely reasons at play we aren't aware of why it didn't work out at Canberra.

The reality is though that if we were paying him marquee money, this signing would be getting a lot more attention than it is. Our club hasn't even officially announced it yet and they certainly haven't rushed the signing as this has been spoken about for at least a month or two so far. This implies that we haven't signed him on a whim but have rather put in due diligence and the answers management have liked enough to offer him a modest contract.

This to me is the kind of business I want the Broncos to be making because as already highlighted, the balance of our squad has been really out of whack. The signings of the likes of James, Lee, Jensen and Pereira help to offset the experience and maturity vacuum throughout the wider squad. These last two years have shown you cannot have a squad of nothing but kids and broken old men and expect to be competitive week in, week out.

State of Origin Captain
Apr 14, 2013
Threads
I think it's a positive signing, but two things irk me:

* He starred in a Q-Cup grand final where he literally took a player out by shoulder charging directly to the head. I can't remember what the repercussions were at the time but I'm pretty sure shoulder charges were still legal, if there was any punishment it was only because of high contact.
* He then went on to play for the Titans, where Tallis went on to criticise Blair for being a grub while completely overlooking what his own player had done, which was way more serious.

The latter I can't hold against James but it still leaves me feeling a little uneasy with him playing for us. It was a long time ago, and he was a good leader for the Titans.

I just worried that it's not his injuries that hamper us, it's that he'll become the logical penalty-magnet the refs assign to one lucky Bronco each year.

Prelim final and then Dolphins lost the next week without their captain.

That was bad, Farrell's jaw was broken in three places and he needed plates inserted. Missed the GF a week later because of it.

James- got off- no clear evidence the high shot caused the injury. Then he did the finger to the Dolphins can bar that was giving it to him.

He did the same to Tedesco too when he was at the Tigers, smashed his jaw.

BooKhaki

QCup Player
Sep 16, 2020
Threads
I actually don't think your view is that much different to others. None of us would be happy if he has signed on for more than $xk (for me this is 200k). There are likely reasons at play we aren't aware of why it didn't work out at Canberra.

The reality is though that if we were paying him marquee money, this signing would be getting a lot more attention than it is. Our club hasn't even officially announced it yet and they certainly haven't rushed the signing as this has been spoken about for at least a month or two so far. This implies that we haven't signed him on a whim but have rather put in due diligence and the answers management have liked enough to offer him a modest contract.

This to me is the kind of business I want the Broncos to be making because as already highlighted, the balance of our squad has been really out of whack. The signings of the likes of James, Lee, Jensen and Pereira help to offset the experience and maturity vacuum throughout the wider squad. These last two years have shown you cannot have a squad of nothing but kids and broken old men and expect to be competitive week in, week out.
I don't think it is that different, but it's worth discussing those slight differences to keep entertained.

I know it's not official, but DD has mentioned him as being signed in his comments to the press about our off field issues, so it's safe to assume the deal has been signed, most likely in the cooling off period.

At the end of the day, if James/Pereira are our worst bit of business in the off season, I'll be pretty happy.

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Jul 28, 2008
Threads
Raiders Recruitment and High-Performance Director Peter Mulholland said the signing of James was wonderful for the club, with his qualities as a player and individual expected to compliment the club culture.

“We know what Ryan can bring to our club with his football and leadership,” Mulholland said. “He’s a tremendous talent who leads by example on and off the field and we believe he will be valuable addition to our forward pack, particularly for some of our up and coming players.”
Since they have signed him they have lost a half back that they need to replace. Halves are expensive, maybe they saw an opportunity to free up some cap space in an area where they are well served for depth.

BooKhaki

QCup Player
Sep 16, 2020
Threads
Since they have signed him they have lost a half back that they need to replace. Halves are expensive, maybe they saw an opportunity to free up some cap space in an area where they are well served for depth.
They look to be signing Fogarty. Not gonna break the bank.

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Threads
They look to be signing Fogarty. Not gonna break the bank.
Jamal Fogarty?? Where did you hear that.

I’ve heard Chanel Harris-Tavita, Mitchell Pearce and Dylan Brown. 2 of those would be helped by space in the cap…

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Threads
^^^

I don't think CHT or Brown would command huge dollars. Brown especially has had a quiet year.
Quiet year agree…but still big contract if someone wants him to move from parra. I personally am yet to be convinced by him.

Interesting on Fogarty, turnaround from the Titans as he recently re-signed

Sproj

International Captain
Forum Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Threads
Quiet year agree…but still big contract if someone wants him to move from parra. I personally am yet to be convinced by him.

Interesting on Fogarty, turnaround from the Titans as he recently re-signed

Look at the Fifita contract, they clearly don't think things through when it comes to signings.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Apr 9, 2012
Threads
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Threads
People talking about how James is depth only or is benchy at best are probably not thinking things through

johnyE

NYC Player
Aug 17, 2015
Threads
People talking about how James is depth only or is benchy at best are probably not thinking things through
I tend to agree , I think the brains trust at the Broncos has got considered positional changes to the roster somewhat covered . How these blokes gel and get on board to committing to the preseason will define their go forward . It's going to be interesting the combinations that will form from this roster , and exciting to see if '22 is a break out year especially for some of these younger blokes . We had a shit year at the expense of big changes , but this is why in my opinion, and many may not agree , but KW has been a successful coach this year . We've released that grip on the spoon and we are like scaffolding on a building , because we are building , building a Kevolution . (a bit like the song "Comfort Eagle" - Cake !! )

Johnny92

QCup Player
Jul 3, 2021
Threads
If he stays injury free he possibly could put a bit of pressure on whoever is partnering Haas. It was only 2018 he was in the blues squad close to debuting then he's pretty much been plagued with injuries since.

Who should be captain?

• Herbie Farnworth

• Kotoni Staggs

• Jake Turpin

• Patrick Carrigan

• Payne Haas

• Adam Reynolds

• Billy Walters

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarltonCru
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.