OFFICIAL Broncos sign Ryan James

you can make those arguments for pretty much any player that doesn't score a huge contract.

for example. should we have not signed Adam Reynolds, i mean Souths didn't try to keep him so he must be a poor signing
Souths offered him a 1yr deal. Ryan James was loaned to another club during his first year and then released from the final year of his contract.

Notice the difference?

You are also saying we don't know why things happened, then also claiming it's cheap a cheap buy. What is cheap?
I would call cheap less than 300k per year.

Was his salary made public?
Nope, but the fact that no amount has been spruiked by the media who look for any reason to sink the boot into the Broncos logic would dictate that the amount is not news worthy and therefore on the lower scale.

If you want to argue another point that no one is going to be able to prove (like the reason he left Canberra) then have at...
If it's a minimum wage signing, then I have no major issues, other than I don't really see him playing much NRL with a full strength side
I doubt it's minimum wage as i'm sure minimum wage is around ~110k. I would bet that James is on on than that

If we remain full strength and stay injury free with no suspensions that i doubt that James will get much time either...and if he does it would mean he is out performing the other players.

and that spot could be used for a young player.

That's the problem, we have a shit load of younger players...do you remember when we had to rely only on young inexperienced forwards...
We just lost Te'o, Glenn and Asiata out of the squad. Other than Capewell, Payne Haas at 21 years old is our most experienced forward. Surely you can see why the management team has decided to get a 150+ gamer into the squad rather than another rookie?

. You're also saying he would have learned from the Raiders, but the only year he spent with them, they missed the finals when they were expected to compete for the premiership, and the club was a shamble.
I've edited my post, i meant learnt from the Titans regarding not dropping your head when you are down by 20 points. I don't think he leaned anything from the Raiders...

I was fortunate enough to talk to Phil Gould one occasion and was with an Panthers fan, this was towards the start of the Phil Gould 5 year plan when he got back to Penrith. My mate asked in a polite way why he purchased duds like Chris Armit, Cameron Ciraldo and Clint Newton when they should be buying glamour players or investing in the best 'young players' like you suggest and Gould told us that his squad was already inexperienced and due to that are going to find games where they are getting spanked and not know how to handle it, the 3 perceived duds were there due to them used to being in that type of match but not losing focus and following the game plan and could guide the young kids through. He also banged on about the benefits they brought to training. I see James as a similar purchase for us.

. We also have 2 blokes coming from top 4 sides with lots of experience, which again lessens the requirement for a bloke like James.

Great, we have 2. lets stop there with the experience then...

If we have paid anything over 200k, I think it's a waste of money.

Well it was minimum wage earlier in your same post so you have already come up around 90k...maybe by the end of the week you will find another 50k to give him and i think we will be pretty close.

I would call cheap less than 300k per year.

Nope, but the fact that no amount has been spruiked by the media who look for any reason to sink the boot into the Broncos logic would dictate that the amount is not news worthy and therefore on the lower scale.

If you want to argue another point that no one is going to be able to prove (like the reason he left Canberra) then have at...

I doubt it's minimum wage as i'm sure minimum wage is around ~110k. I would bet that James is on on than that

If we remain full strength and stay injury free with no suspensions that i doubt that James will get much time either...and if he does it would mean he is out performing the other players.

That's the problem, we have a shit load of younger players...do you remember when we had to rely only on young inexperienced forwards...
We just lost Te'o, Glenn and Asiata out of the squad. Other than Capewell, Payne Haas at 21 years old is our most experienced forward. Surely you can see why the management team has decided to get a 150+ gamer into the squad rather than another rookie?

I've edited my post, i meant learnt from the Titans regarding not dropping your head when you are down by 20 points. I don't think he leaned anything from the Raiders...

I was fortunate enough to talk to Phil Gould one occasion and was with an Panthers fan, this was towards the start of the Phil Gould 5 year plan when he got back to Penrith. My mate asked in a polite way why he purchased duds like Chris Armit, Cameron Ciraldo and Clint Newton when they should be buying glamour players or investing in the best 'young players' like you suggest and Gould told us that his squad was already inexperienced and due to that are going to find games where they are getting spanked and not know how to handle it, the 3 perceived duds were there due to them used to being in that type of match but not losing focus and following the game plan and could guide the young kids through. He also banged on about the benefits they brought to training. I see James as a similar purchase for us.

Great, we have 2. lets stop there with the experience then...

Well it was minimum wage earlier in your same post so you have already come up around 90k...maybe by the end of the week you will find another 50k to give him and i think we will be pretty close.
I like how at the end of the post you try to hint at me contradicting myself. I said "If it's a minimum wage signing, then I have no major issues" and "If we have paid anything over 200k, I think it's a waste of money"

If you think they contradict themselves, no real point attempting to have an honest conversation about it, so I'm not going to bother responding to your other points if you're going to misrepresent mine.

I like how at the end of the post you try to hint at me contradicting myself. I said "If it's a minimum wage signing, then I have no major issues" and "If we have paid anything over 200k, I think it's a waste of money"

If you think they contradict themselves, no real point attempting to have an honest conversation about it, so I'm not going to bother responding to your other points if you're going to misrepresent mine.
You're a sensitive lad aren't you?

It was an attempt (admittedly lame) at some levity. I did not accuse you of contradiction.

You're a sensitive lad aren't you?

It was an attempt (admittedly lame) at some levity. I did not accuse you of contradiction.
Not at all, quite the opposite actually. But when a post is finished off with an admittedly lame snarky comment, it takes away any motivation to offer a serious response.

Not at all, quite the opposite actually. But when a post is finished off with an admittedly lame snarky comment, it takes away any motivation to offer a serious response.
Like i said, it was meant to be more humorous to indicate that we aren't that far apart on the contract side if you are at 200k and my assumption is closer to 250k. There was no snark.

Its a shame that is all you took from the discussion though, sensitive or not.

Like i said, it was meant to be more humorous to indicate that we aren't that far apart on the contract side if you are at 200k and my assumption is closer to 250k. There was no snark.

Its a shame that is all you took from the discussion though, sensitive or not.
If his contract is 250k per year, I believe that's a waste of 100k.

If his contract is 250k per year, I believe that's a waste of 100k.

I actually don't think your view is that much different to others. None of us would be happy if he has signed on for more than $xk (for me this is 200k). There are likely reasons at play we aren't aware of why it didn't work out at Canberra.

The reality is though that if we were paying him marquee money, this signing would be getting a lot more attention than it is. Our club hasn't even officially announced it yet and they certainly haven't rushed the signing as this has been spoken about for at least a month or two so far. This implies that we haven't signed him on a whim but have rather put in due diligence and the answers management have liked enough to offer him a modest contract.

This to me is the kind of business I want the Broncos to be making because as already highlighted, the balance of our squad has been really out of whack. The signings of the likes of James, Lee, Jensen and Pereira help to offset the experience and maturity vacuum throughout the wider squad. These last two years have shown you cannot have a squad of nothing but kids and broken old men and expect to be competitive week in, week out.

I think it's a positive signing, but two things irk me:

* He starred in a Q-Cup grand final where he literally took a player out by shoulder charging directly to the head. I can't remember what the repercussions were at the time but I'm pretty sure shoulder charges were still legal, if there was any punishment it was only because of high contact.
* He then went on to play for the Titans, where Tallis went on to criticise Blair for being a grub while completely overlooking what his own player had done, which was way more serious.

The latter I can't hold against James but it still leaves me feeling a little uneasy with him playing for us. It was a long time ago, and he was a good leader for the Titans.

I just worried that it's not his injuries that hamper us, it's that he'll become the logical penalty-magnet the refs assign to one lucky Bronco each year.

Prelim final and then Dolphins lost the next week without their captain.

That was bad, Farrell's jaw was broken in three places and he needed plates inserted. Missed the GF a week later because of it.

James- got off- no clear evidence the high shot caused the injury. Then he did the finger to the Dolphins can bar that was giving it to him.

He did the same to Tedesco too when he was at the Tigers, smashed his jaw.

I actually don't think your view is that much different to others. None of us would be happy if he has signed on for more than $xk (for me this is 200k). There are likely reasons at play we aren't aware of why it didn't work out at Canberra.

The reality is though that if we were paying him marquee money, this signing would be getting a lot more attention than it is. Our club hasn't even officially announced it yet and they certainly haven't rushed the signing as this has been spoken about for at least a month or two so far. This implies that we haven't signed him on a whim but have rather put in due diligence and the answers management have liked enough to offer him a modest contract.

This to me is the kind of business I want the Broncos to be making because as already highlighted, the balance of our squad has been really out of whack. The signings of the likes of James, Lee, Jensen and Pereira help to offset the experience and maturity vacuum throughout the wider squad. These last two years have shown you cannot have a squad of nothing but kids and broken old men and expect to be competitive week in, week out.
I don't think it is that different, but it's worth discussing those slight differences to keep entertained.

I know it's not official, but DD has mentioned him as being signed in his comments to the press about our off field issues, so it's safe to assume the deal has been signed, most likely in the cooling off period.

At the end of the day, if James/Pereira are our worst bit of business in the off season, I'll be pretty happy.

Raiders Recruitment and High-Performance Director Peter Mulholland said the signing of James was wonderful for the club, with his qualities as a player and individual expected to compliment the club culture.

“We know what Ryan can bring to our club with his football and leadership,” Mulholland said. “He’s a tremendous talent who leads by example on and off the field and we believe he will be valuable addition to our forward pack, particularly for some of our up and coming players.”
Since they have signed him they have lost a half back that they need to replace. Halves are expensive, maybe they saw an opportunity to free up some cap space in an area where they are well served for depth.

Since they have signed him they have lost a half back that they need to replace. Halves are expensive, maybe they saw an opportunity to free up some cap space in an area where they are well served for depth.
They look to be signing Fogarty. Not gonna break the bank.

They look to be signing Fogarty. Not gonna break the bank.
Jamal Fogarty?? Where did you hear that.

I’ve heard Chanel Harris-Tavita, Mitchell Pearce and Dylan Brown. 2 of those would be helped by space in the cap…

^^^

I don't think CHT or Brown would command huge dollars. Brown especially has had a quiet year.
Quiet year agree…but still big contract if someone wants him to move from parra. I personally am yet to be convinced by him.

Interesting on Fogarty, turnaround from the Titans as he recently re-signed

Quiet year agree…but still big contract if someone wants him to move from parra. I personally am yet to be convinced by him.

Interesting on Fogarty, turnaround from the Titans as he recently re-signed

Look at the Fifita contract, they clearly don't think things through when it comes to signings.

Active Now

• BroncosMan
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.