OFFICIAL Broncos Sourced Player Movement and Confirmed Signings - Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randomly moving on players is what Seibold did and then we were just left with a bunch of rookies. Don't make the same mistake again, no point letting them go yet unless there's a decent replacement lined up.

Good point there. I still think we have missed the boat on just signing for solid players on one year deals to steady the ship and exploit the market when its better.

Hard to compare the Premier league to the NRL anyway imo. Its structured in a very different way, the best team over 38 games doesn't then have to go on and compete in another mini competition resulting in a grand final to prove they were the best team. They also have 2 separate domestic cup competitions, plus 6 teams generally compete in European competition as well. You also have 92 full time professional football clubs which obviously is vastly different from here in the NRL. Plus International football on top of all that.

In all honesty, with the money thrown around the game in England, its amazing there have actually been 7 winners when there are football clubs who just have so much more money than others. Its a far more enjoyable and competitive competition than the NRL imo. I do think some sort of cap would help to a point

On top of all that, all this " EPL " nonsense really annoys me. Football has been played in England for over 130 years. Football existed before the Premier league. Just because the FA broke away from the Football league it doesnt mean that all that history should be whitewashed, and it does appear that way that its happening.

None of that has anything to do with a salary cap.

Since the EPL started in 1992- seven winners. Over the same time frame the NRL has had 13.

It's not to protect the poor clubs, Australian sport just doesn't have the money to do whatever they want. NRL wouldn't have a single club within a a few years if they didn't have a cap.

When there was no cap for a short period of time in the late 1990's the Broncos had to get News to pay the player's wages, they couldn't afford it.
For a guy who is big on triviality you have missed something glaringly obvious.... You do realise there are no grand finals in the EPL right? The equivalent of their champion would be the minor premiers. Hence why I mentioned it in a later post.
Theres a simple fix without a cap anyway. If a club can't afford to pay the players they have a decision to make if they can't get the money. They fold or they pay less. Clubs are getting bailed out every few years now with a cap, they get a grant nearly BIGGER then the cap itself.
The NRL could also make clubs either have to justify what their spending on players by showing their costings/financials are able too. Another good thing would be a soft cap with every dollar over the cap they spend less grant is given. This would mean more money FOR THE GAME OF RUGBY LEAGUE.

And enough of this bs about not enough no ey in Australian sport. There are 1000s of soccer clubs in europe who make less money then all of the NRL clubs yet they survive. How? They don't just give jobs to the boys and they spend what the **** they can afford. It's honestly that simple. You can't pay a player what they want don't give it to them....

For a guy who is big on triviality you have missed something glaringly obvious.... You do realise there are no grand finals in the EPL right? The equivalent of their champion would be the minor premiers. Hence why I mentioned it in a later post.
Theres a simple fix without a cap anyway. If a club can't afford to pay the players they have a decision to make if they can't get the money. They fold or they pay less. Clubs are getting bailed out every few years now with a cap, they get a grant nearly BIGGER then the cap itself.
The NRL could also make clubs either have to justify what their spending on players by showing their costings/financials are able too. Another good thing would be a soft cap with every dollar over the cap they spend less grant is given. This would mean more money FOR THE GAME OF RUGBY LEAGUE.

And enough of this bs about not enough no ey in Australian sport. There are 1000s of soccer clubs in europe who make less money then all of the NRL clubs yet they survive. How? They don't just give jobs to the boys and they spend what the **** they can afford. It's honestly that simple. You can't pay a player what they want don't give it to them....

What does no finals have to do with a cap?

You're ignoring the fact that with no cap, every single players salary goes up, they increased to a ridiculous level last time you got rid of the cap. You had very average players on 500k last time and it'd happen again. The increase would be even greater because the high end would go from 800k-Million to 1.5-2m.

ICS clubs exist too without a cap too, but they also have 90% less costs.

The grant is bigger than the cap, it's not a hand out it's your cut of revenue from the tv.

Last edited:
None of that has anything to do with a salary cap.

Nope, but my post wasnt simply about the cap. Its an example of just using the Premier League as a yardstick to compare to the NRL, and it was to point out that football in England is a very, very different competition that we have over here. And like i said, i cant abide that people just seem to think football didn't exsist before the Premier league came along. I'd also say that there is a hell of a lot more pressure on football clubs in England than in the NRL in Australia. We got the wooden spoon in 2020, but even in a year without Covid, that still wouldnt have cost us in the region of $70 million like a team finishing last in the top flight of English football would have lost.

Also, there is a financial failsafe involved in the game called financial fair play. It should ensure a football club cant outspend their means. I'm still not convinced its that effective though tbh. But like @Lockysillegitimatechild just mentioned in his post, Football clubs in England dont get bailed out when they hit financial troubles. They either get new owners, or they go out of business.

What does no finals have to do with a cap?

You're ignoring the fact that with no cap, every single players salary goes up, they increased to a ridiculous level last time you got rid of the cap. You had very average players on 500k last time and it'd happen again. The increase would be even greater because the high end would go from 800k-Million to 1.5-2m.

ICS clubs exist too without a cap too, but they also have 90% less costs.

The grant is bigger than the cap, it's not a hand out it's your cut of revenue from the tv.
Since the EPL started in 1992- seven winners. Over the same time frame the NRL has had 13.
That's what it has to do with.
Again, if a club, just like any business or like 1000's of other clubs around the world is stupid enough to spend ABOVE what they can afford that is their problem. No one elses. If they can't keep up with wages they simply do not pay them. You bring in less money, you spend less money, or you fold. Messi or Christian Ronaldo won't be playing for a Scottish premier league club this year, why? BECAUSE IT WOULD SEND THEM BROKE. They get paid by clubs that can afford it. If a local cafe starts paying celebrities to be waiters for a day and they suddenly go broke you rightfully assume it was a stupid investment that they couldn't afford. You wouldn't cap celebrity endorsements so everyone can get a chance of using them...

That's what it has to do with.
Again, if a club, just like any business or like 1000's of other clubs around the world is stupid enough to spend ABOVE what they can afford that is their problem. No one elses. If they can't keep up with wages they simply do not pay them. You bring in less money, you spend less money, or you fold. Messi or Christian Ronaldo won't be playing for a Scottish premier league club this year, why? BECAUSE IT WOULD SEND THEM BROKE. They get paid by clubs that can afford it. If a local cafe starts paying celebrities to be waiters for a day and they suddenly go broke you rightfully assume it was a stupid investment that they couldn't afford. You wouldn't cap celebrity endorsements so everyone can get a chance of using them...

What do you do when no club can afford the players- you still haven't address the issue of last time there was no cap and players went from 50k a year to 600k a year and no one could afford it. The same thing would happen again.

If you announced today no cap all 400 players go in tomorrow and say I want a million now not 600k anymore.

What do you do when no club can afford the players- you still haven't address the issue of last time there was no cap and players went from 50k a year to 600k a year and no one could afford it. The same thing would happen again.

If you announced today no cap all 400 players go in tomorrow and say I want a million now not 600k anymore.

I dont think the cap is anywhere near perfect, but i do agree it has to be there to ensure everyone can compete.

So you're implying no club would be able to afford no players so then every single NRL player would then...........smart move by them then... I addressed the issue in every single response. If they can't afford it they don't pay it! How is that hard to understand. I used actual examples from world sport. Re-read the posts.
And outside of the Broncos management at the moment, which club would give into that. The titans maybe? Clubs who are desperate to keep players and can afford it maybe? That scenario happens now with the cap, stupid clubs cave. The difference will be they have a bottom line to meet ijnstead of a cap set by the NRL.

So you're implying no club would be able to afford no players so then every single NRL player would then...........smart move by them then... I addressed the issue in every single response. If they can't afford it they don't pay it! How is that hard to understand. I used actual examples from world sport. Re-read the posts.
And outside of the Broncos management at the moment, which club would give into that. The titans maybe? Clubs who are desperate to keep players and can afford it maybe? That scenario happens now with the cap, stupid clubs cave. The difference will be they have a bottom line to meet ijnstead of a cap set by the NRL.
Currently the majority of the the clubs today only survive with their share of television rights negotiated by the NRL on their behalf , salary cap or not ,only right though that the clubs do get a share of these as they provide the entertainment for the TV stations to sell add space. Some clubs appear to be using the majority of their share of the TV rights on their salary cap instead of managing the business to ensure profitability. Unfortunately these days clubs need to be run as a business to survive, some are run rather badly though, few are run well, if clubs were made to stand on their own two feet, we would have fewer teams in the competition but a higher standard. If you scrapped the cap, you would need some type of relegation system so every year a couple of new teams rotate through the top tier.

has anyone watched jackson hastings run round in the SL would he be worth approaching?

The market detemines this though, of course. Every player can demand a million but there’s only so much money each club can spend so other than the marquee players, everyone else gets paid what clubs can afford or they go play for nothing somewhere and get a real job.

The market detemines this though, of course. Every player can demand a million but there’s only so much money each club can spend so other than the marquee players, everyone else gets paid what clubs can afford or they go play for nothing somewhere and get a real job.

That's been my point several times, last time we got rid of the cap it didn't work like that.

We had reserve grade quality players on 500k and clubs couldn't pay players for years until the contracts were finished.

Last edited:
That's been my point several times, last time we got rid of the cap it didn't work like that.

We had reserve grade quality players on 500k and clubs couldn't pay players for years until the contracts were finished.
Circumstances were a bit different last time though. We had two media conglomerates prepared to pay almost anything to win the broadcasting war.

Probably unpopular opinion, and I do think we need to find a fullback. But I haven't completely given up on Isaako at fullback. He was pretty solid there to start the season, particularly against the cowboys.

As it stands, I'd say Tedesco, RTS and Gutho are the only fullbacks that truly get their team out of trouble if their forwards aren't playing well. As good as Tom turbo is, it's usually on the back of a quick play the ball.

This year I think it was our forwards who really let us down. Sure our halves should have done better than they did, but our forwards were diabolical.

If we get fitness, actually get our dumb as **** forwards running onto the ball instead of standing flat footed, our team will be good.

Staggs going to be out first few rounds of the season and they want to keep X and Gagai combo on the right.
I’m also hearing Kevvie is keeping a close eye on what GI is doing next year as well.
Have planes started flying in the rain now??

In all seriousness though, besides Carrigan, I wouldn't be surprised if not a single one of our forwards can count to the number on their back.

I reckon there would have been less than 30 hitups all year where players actually caught the ball running flat out. The good teams do that 30 times a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Lozza
  • Ondi
  • Culhwch
  • sooticus
  • Jazza
  • Maroon4life
  • Behold
  • broncos4life
  • Galah
  • lynx000
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.