Broncos targeting current Panther

Lol, well I was going off a injury list and it doesn't surprise me those things are never accurate.

Seriously though, it just seems he's had a bad run of injuries rather than being "injury prone", it's not like he keeps getting a hamstring injury like a certain player in our team :tongue_smilie:

For the right price, Coote would be a good acquisition to our team but then again we may not need him.

With JYY fully fit and copley back we could run with this next year (at full strength):

1. Kahu
2. Copley
3. Hoffman
4. Hodges
5. JYY

Yes that means Reed would be dropped (unlikely with a 4 year contract) but I don't personally think he earns a spot in the centres over Hodges or Hoffman and I don't think he's a better winger than Copley or JYY.

Kevin Naiqama would be a very nice addition to our team though, have him at fullback, Kahu on wing with Hoffman at centres (or the other way around) with Copley playing reserves along with Reed. There will be some selection headaches with a fully fit backline next year for Griffin, more so if we get a guy like Naiqama which we should because when we undoubtedly have injuries it's better to call on Copley than Maranta.

How many games has Hoffman played in the centres again?? Reed has played some bloody good footy this season. I wouldn't be getting rid of him so quickly. JYY is still very much an unknown. Hodges is good for every 2nd game if we are lucky as well.

1. TBA (Kahu)
2. Yow Yeh (Kahu) (Copley)
3. Hodges
4. Reed
5. Hoffman

That'd be mine for next season - 2,3,4,5 are all auto selections in my mind, Kahu and Copley backups for Yow Yeh if he's not back in time for next season and Kahu for Fullback if we don't buy one before next season.

How many games has Hoffman played in the centres again?? Reed has played some bloody good footy this season. I wouldn't be getting rid of him so quickly. JYY is still very much an unknown. Hodges is good for every 2nd game if we are lucky as well.
None? I don't know but he's playing there this week and I reckon he's just a better player than Reed, that's nothing against Reed but Reed is not a winger and Hoffman is too good to be dropped so who makes way for Yow Yeh?

If Hoffman goes to fullback then...

1. Hoffman
2. Kahu
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh

Copley in reserves, if Hoffman is to stay in the team as a centre than Reed might just have to make way. So it's either Copley or Reed in reserves depending on if Hoffman returns to fullback or not. If we get Kevin Naiqama/Coote to play fullback then Reed is even less likely to be in the team. I don't rate Reed ahead of Hodges, Hoffman or Yow Yeh, so there's one spot left for him and Copley to fight for assuming we sign no one and Kahu plays fullback.

I really dont think Yow Yeh will be playing wing any time soon. Centre maybe, but not wing

Hoffman would be a gun fullback under a different coach (someone who doesn't hate offloads and support play) and with 2 capable halves.

None? I don't know but he's playing there this week and I reckon he's just a better player than Reed, that's nothing against Reed but Reed is not a winger and Hoffman is too good to be dropped so who makes way for Yow Yeh?

If Hoffman goes to fullback then...

1. Hoffman
2. Kahu
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh

Copley in reserves, if Hoffman is to stay in the team as a centre than Reed might just have to make way. So it's either Copley or Reed in reserves depending on if Hoffman returns to fullback or not. If we get Kevin Naiqama/Coote to play fullback then Reed is even less likely to be in the team. I don't rate Reed ahead of Hodges, Hoffman or Yow Yeh, so there's one spot left for him and Copley to fight for assuming we sign no one and Kahu plays fullback.

Pretty simple really. Yow Yeh isn't even in the frame at this stage. Hoffman is that good as a winger I wouldn't be moving him anytime soon.

Hoffman would be a gun fullback under a different coach (someone who doesn't hate offloads and support play) and with 2 capable halves.

I'm not sure hook hates support play or the offload. Parker and Gillett often make off loads. Support play should just happen. It shouldn't need to be coached IMO. Hoffman would be a good fullback if we had 2 gun halves who are capable of setting up tries without the use of the 2nd man play 9 out of the 10 times.

Did these Panthers podcast folk reveal who the player was?

I'm not sure hook hates support play or the offload. Parker and Gillett often make off loads. Support play should just happen. It shouldn't need to be coached IMO. Hoffman would be a good fullback if we had 2 gun halves who are capable of setting up tries without the use of the 2nd man play 9 out of the 10 times.

Dunno about that Beads. As I see it, the best FB's these days both pass and kick (and chase), and as for 2nd man pays - making the extra man as we used to call it decades ago, was an important part of the game plan to create an overlap which, done right, will always result in lots of metres if not a try.

And it doesn't always have to happen in their red zone as is the case with the current Broncos team.

Also, yes, support play should "just happen" but, IMO mainly because the coaching staff make it happen through endless repetition until it becomes 2nd nature - especially if a team has "natural" offloaders like Gillett and Parker and Hodges.

In our case, it's something that still isn't a consistent part of our team strategy, or, if it is, it isn't happening nearly enough which makes it a coaching issue more than just getting a gun half, FB or whoever (which is still really important of course).

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Battler
  • Lazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.