Badel Warning Broncos training to be six minute masters

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
TL;DR: Nero keeps fiddling.

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold’s new training method to help Brisbane dominate close finishes

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
August 14, 2019 7:00pm

The Broncos have turned to match simulation methods to keep their season alive, employing six-minute shootouts at training to ensure they don’t choke under pressure in the run to the playoffs. Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has been using a six-minute “shot clock” at Red Hill, forcing Brisbane stars to confront the type of sudden-death situation they may face in Friday night’s crucial top-eight clash with Penrith at Suncorp Stadium. Brisbane players believe their recent match simulation tactics were decisive in holding their nerve to score the last-minute matchwinner which crushed the Cowboys 18-14 in last week’s Queensland derby. Clinging to eighth spot by one competition point, the Broncos now face three weeks of daunting home games against top-eight sides Penrith, Souths and Parramatta before a final-round away trip to Canterbury.

Brisbane have practised playing out the final minutes of matches. AAP Image/Jono Searle.

Brisbane have practised playing out the final minutes of matches. AAP Image/Jono Searle.

With their games certain to go down to the wire in the final weeks, the Broncos are mentally steeling themselves for the desperate dying minutes that can make or break a premiership campaign. “The last few weeks we have been doing match simulation stuff,” said hooker James Segeyaro, who plays his 150th NRL game against his former club the Panthers tomorrow. “Even when we were down (14-12) against the Cowboys, I had confidence we could still win because there were six minutes to go and we’ve been working on those final minutes at training.

“Seibs sets a clock. He will say, ‘Ok, guys it’s 12-all with six minutes to go, we have two or three sets to score to win the game’. “We’ll then work through our sets and try to score to win the game. “It’s all about re-creating those pressure scenarios at training to help you mentally for those big moments when it matters in games. “In those final six minutes, we try to play some football and it teaches you to keep communicating, stay calm and keep your attacking width to try and win the game.

Can Seibold guide Brisbane into September. AAP Image/Jono Searle.

Can Seibold guide Brisbane into September. AAP Image/Jono Searle.

“Every game for us now is do or die. Games over the next few weeks will come down to field goals or extra-time, so it’s important we work on how to close out games.” At training on Wednesday, Seibold set the clock to the final six minutes with Brisbane trailing 16-14 on the scoreboard. It could be the very scoreline they confront tomorrow night at Suncorp against a Panthers side charging to the finals after eight wins from their past 10 games. Earlier this season, Brisbane badly botched a late set in round five against the Tigers. With scores locked 16-all, Brisbane failed to set-up properly for a field goal attempt and the Tigers scored 60 seconds later to steal victory. “That’s why Seibs has got us doing this,” centre Kotoni Staggs said. “If we come into a tight game and there is six minutes to go, we have to look at the clock and think we have done six minutes at training, so we know how to handle these six minutes. “The key is not getting too frustrated and playing what’s in front of us. It definitely helped us against the Cowboys last week.”

Dazza 92

NRL Player
It involves them all standing around like headless chickens.
well its them 5 minutes to remember what to do in the last 6 which then leaves 1 minute of actual game time to make it happen...
- Merged

“The key is not getting too frustrated and playing what’s in front of us. It definitely helped us against the Cowboys last week.”

....dont forget the abject uselessness of the opponent...a key part of Brisbane's attacking structures...

Last edited:

pagey

NRL Captain
Like the thinking behind it , but we is there any direction and set plays involved. Or is 6 minutes guys ,show me your best hot potato type shit!

dazzat99

BRL Player
Suggested big play to win a game ... after only running three metres in the last three games, Darius suddenly runs at the line strongly. The opposition is completely taken off guard - and Boyd scores!

Slippin Jimmy

NYC Player
“Seibs sets a clock. He will say, ‘Ok, guys it’s 12-all with six minutes to go, we have two or three sets to score to win the game’. “
To go with everyone else's suggestions, have Milf pretend we're up by 30 and that half time is approaching. He is the master of the inconsequential field goal.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
It's a similar thing Bellamy said he does with the Storm.

He gets the team fatigued and then simulates match situations like this.

I like it, but I hope we're also focusing on building combinations in attack.

Jedhead

NRL Player
It's a similar thing Bellamy said he does with the Storm.

He gets the team fatigued and then simulates match situations like this.

I like it, but I hope we're also focusing on building combinations in attack.
Yeh it's all good practice and we really need to be able to pull out a clutch play when we need it, but if it's all the same I'd much rather we rolled the Panthers and did not need to rely on a Hail-Mary play. My old ticker has had enough for one season.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
So are the team changing their name to the Brisbane Brokenstormuncos?

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I like it, we are hopeless in executing under pressure, having this drilled into them should hopefully make them more methodical in a game situation. Well that's the theory.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
I like it, we are hopeless in executing under pressure, having this drilled into them should hopefully make them more methodical in a game situation. Well that's the theory.
Hope they keep training what to do on the last tackle because teams are circling turpin like vultures and he is barely getting his kicks away sometimes.

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Hope they keep training what to do on the last tackle because teams are circling turpin like vultures and he is barely getting his kicks away sometimes.
One thing that pissed me off was no one offering an alternative to Turpin who was getting swamped by the defense.

Surely the hooker (feel like it was Macca, but can't remember every part of the game) can put a kick in every now and then OR Milf can stand outside Turps as a relief kicker

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
One thing that pissed me off was no one offering an alternative to Turpin who was getting swamped by the defense.

Surely the hooker (feel like it was Macca, but can't remember every part of the game) can put a kick in every now and then OR Milf can stand outside Turps as a relief kicker
Maccas slow service definitely doesn’t help turpin either. You know who else could put in a kick every now and then just to mix it up, Darius Keary Boyd.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter