Broncos young gun Xavier Coates to cap spectacular rise with international debut

You did too but you never spilled the beans when I asked what it was. Or if you did I missed it. :-)

No didn't want to ruin a guy's Test debut which is what annoys me about the journo that clearly didn't care.

The PNG LNG Kumuls Test Team (in First Name alphabetical order) is:

1. Edene GABBIE (Debut) - Wynnum Manly

2. Edwin EPAPE (Debut) - Wynnum Manly

3. Enock MAKI - SP PNG Hunters

4. James SEGEYARO - Brisbane Broncos

5. Junior RAU - SP PNG Hunters

6. Justin OLAM - Melbourne Storm

7. Kurt BAPTISTE - North Queensland Cowboys

8. Kyle LAYBUTT (Debut) - North Queensland Cowboys

9. Lachlan LAM - Sydney Roosters

10. Luke PAGE - Burleigh Bears

11. Moses MENINGA - SP PNG Hunters

12. Nixon PUTT - Norths Devils

13. Rhadley BRAWA - Wynnum Manly

14. Rhys MARTIN - Canterbury Bulldogs

15. Stanton ALBERT - SP PNG Hunters

16. Terry WAPI (Debut) - SP PNG Hunters

17. Xavier Coates (Debut) - Brisbane Broncos

18. Zev John (Debut) - Melbourne Storm

Coach: Michael MARUM

The team assembles in Sydney tomorrow (Monday) night.

good luck to him....hope its the first of many Test matches for him....

Great effort from Coates to make the team at such a young age.

You're a big fan of his aye mate, see you posting quite a lot about him. Hopefully he continues on this trajectory and becomes a good'un for us!

Looks a gun from what I've seen.

Marum is going to play Coates at centre, I like him on the wing. I think he drifts infield better and like him coming in and doing whatever he wants. The games he has been at his best for Tweed and Queensland infield running has been his strength when they don't expect it.

Last year for Queensland he made a really telling run for the first Tino try but physically he wasn't ready for the game, this year he has improved dramatically. If Gebbie can make the break then Coates will follow him through the line.

He timed his runs for Queensland this year, first half he was a bit slow but once he could come in and take advantage of tired forwards he killed them.

Junior footy to Test debut in 41 days: Baby Bronco Xavier Coates incredible rise with PNG

For a man so young, Xavier Coates seems to be dealing with his rise to the top with ease.

In the space of 41 days, the 18-year-old will have won his final game in junior football, made his senior debut in the Q Cup scoring two tries, played a man-of-the-match Under 18 State of Origin game for Queensland, and made his Test debut for Papua New Guinea.

It’s another big step on a journey he seems to be taking in his stride.

Well, with size 15 feet, you would expect him to.

“Everything’s happened so quick, I didn’t really expect it to be like this,” says Coates.

“I guess when you work hard, things happen for you and I’m happy with how things are going. I just need to work and keep progressing.”

Foxsports.com.au exclusively revealed that Coates was being considered for a PNG call-up last week, and the centre or winger has joined the likes of James Segeyaro and Rhyse Martin in Kumuls camp this week.

His rise has been so rapid that he will beat the record set by Sione Matu’utia to become the youngest Test debutant — 18 years, 100 days — when the Kumuls face Samoa on Saturday at Leichardt Oval.

So young is Coates in fact, that it was his parents who were informed of the call-up, rather than the player himself.

“I was sort of astounded, my mum, especially, was really happy because growing up where she’s from in Papua New Guinea, the Kumuls is the pinnacle and to have the whole country cheering for you is a good feeling,” Coates tells foxsports.com.au.

“I was at a mate’s house and when I got home my mum had this massive smile on her face.

“She told me to come into the room and then explained I’d made the team, I thought it was a development team, but she was like no, it’s the actual team to face Samoa.

“My mum’s full-blooded PNG and I was born there. She’s coming down to watch. My dad has to look after my little brothers and sisters.”

Currently on the books of the Brisbane Broncos, the trainee teacher has already seen fellow young Broncos juniors Tom Dearden and David Fifita make their NRL debuts in recent times.

Despite his quick ascendancy Coates, who has been mentored by Matt Geyer at Marymount College, is happy to bide his time for his maiden Broncos game.

“It’s a case of working hard and seeing what happens,” says Coates. “Making a NRL debut would be a dream come true. But I guess you’ve got to do the work and follow the process.”

It will be 41 days since his junior final for Tweeds Heads Seagulls on Saturday, so just imagine what the next 41 could bring.

If his current trajectory is anything to go by, it is surely only a matter of time before he makes that, in those very big feet.

How old is the kid? And how long is he signed with us for?
This has the markings of a rival NRL club eg the Rorters coming in and offering him big dollars. Hopefully we don't loose him, he looks like a future (potential) star

Reminded me of Inglis when i watched him in the u20 SOO. Here's hoping he gets anywhere near his level.

This has the markings of a rival NRL club eg the Rorters coming in and offering him big dollars. Hopefully we don't loose him, he looks like a future (potential) star
18 or 19, signed for 3 years.

How fast is this kid, Is he Roberts kind of speed?
I saw a highlight of him scoring an 80m try... he is definitely not Roberts speed, got chased down twice. But he is a big body more in the Inglis/Latrel shape and seems to read the game very well.

He was not overawed against Samoa despite the team full of NRL stars. Was very strong in defence despite his lighter frame. Does remind me of Inglis as Greg was very slight until his early 20’s.
Develop him carefully and he could be anything.

...they have sign Kyle Flanagan from Cronulla....(are you watching Sam Walker)...so at this rate I dont see what they could offer but 3 year deals for mine sees him at the club at least for 2 of those....id be amazed frankly if he isn't in a backline spot for the 2020 season....kids got nothing else to prove at Q-cup level..

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.