SPLIT Browser Wars

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
The new Firefox, while I'v ebeen using it all of 10 minutes, is really nice. It's quick, responsive, and hasn't leaked 500mb of memory on a single tab yet. Got rid of the shitty old rounded design, and yeah, **** you Chrome.

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
The new Firefox, while I'v ebeen using it all of 10 minutes, is really nice. It's quick, responsive, and hasn't leaked 500mb of memory on a single tab yet. Got rid of the shitty old rounded design, and yeah, **** you Chrome.
Do you use Internet Download Manager?

If so, is it compatible with the new version of Firefox?

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
I can confirm that the new Firefox browser supports IDM. And it does seem they have fixed the memory issue.

I'm liking it so far.

Porthoz

International Captain
Really? Looks like they have.

I've been monitoring it and it's fixed for me. That was my only issue with previous versions of Firefox and I haven't had that issue yet with this one.
It depends on add-ons, extensions, plugins, themes, etc... but even on a lean system, it climbs up.

I've tested a lean FF (64 bit) against a fully loaded (add-ons and themes) Chrome and Edge running the same 5 tabs (FB and BHQ amongst them). After 24 hours, neither Chrome nor Edge had gone above 400 MB, while FF was close to 2.5 GB, with FB using almost 1 GB on its own.

It's undoubtedly faster, has features I really like too, and it's usable over a few hours, which is fine if you close your browser regularly. But if you're like me, and have it up for weeks, it's unusable.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane
Definitely still has memory leaks, but it's better, and to the point where it's now usable. I do close my browser every few hours, so that doesn't bother me. Previous version had me regularly cursing and thinking of switching back to Chrome.

With 57 I'm happy enough, no major issues, performance is good enough and leaks/hangs are infrequent enough that it doesn't bother me.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
I'd been floating between Firefox & Chrome for ages. A week or so ago I decided it was going to Chrome from now on.

Nek minnut

New FF and I'm back to floating again between the two.

My main bitch is FF seems to scramble the video in facebook....even after updating java flash etc etc

john1420

NRL Player
I used the download manager and accelerator called "down them all"

It's the only one I've tried that really works and is so easy and simple

The new firefox has disabled it so I'm not enjoying this release

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I used the download manager and accelerator called "down them all"

It's the only one I've tried that really works and is so easy and simple

The new firefox has disabled it so I'm not enjoying this release
It's not disabled, it's a brand new browser so the addons need to be updated to work on it. Give it time.

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
I still don't see how people are getting memory leaks.

I've had my firefox open for over a month now with 65 tabs open and the memory has only climbed to 350mb which is because I've got 65 tabs open with various video sources open as well.

It's never crashed, slowed down, it's never had any unresponsive scripts or anything like that.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I still don't see how people are getting memory leaks.

I've had my firefox open for over a month now with 65 tabs open and the memory has only climbed to 350mb which is because I've got 65 tabs open with various video sources open as well.

It's never crashed, slowed down, it's never had any unresponsive scripts or anything like that.
You're the only one on Earth then. Fx certainly had terrible memory leaks prior to this new version, and had/has done for at least the last 5 - 10 years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter