Oct 7, 2017
0f33bcaee3128de3132c7855a2fd9fb7

Behind-the-scenes of the Brisbane Broncos’ entry into the NSWRL 30 years ago

February 5, 2018

Source: Foxsports.com.au

Last edited by a moderator:

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Should have been a team 12 months earlier but the QRL clubs voted five for it. 59 players left Brisbane for Sydney for the 1987 season.

The next time the bid came up McAuliffe was on the Norwood-MacKay syndicate. Livermore was going to be CEO of the new club if they got up.

Van der Velde was heading up the other bid. Then when Maranta and Williams got together pulled in Balkin and Morgan and became a bid team. The- fourth was John Sattler and Bob Hagan.

Wally supported the McAuliffe bid and that made it the favourite.

March 23 was the day- vote was lost again so no Sydney team.

Norwood-Mackay knew they had to get the BRL clubs on side so offered them 2 million to share amongst the 8 of them. Sattler and Van der Velde dropped off now.

The write up is right, the Senator was on the nose with the QRL clubs, the Broncos four had strong ties with the clubs and offered them 30% of the profits from the Broncos. They offered to match the QRL club's sponsorship too up to $10k.

And two seats on the new club's board.

April 5th it was voted on to admit a team and then 14th voted 7-3 that it was the Maranta group. They had 11 months to get a side together.

Bennett cost them $100k to the Raiders to break his four year deal. Langer cost them 20K to get out of his Jets' deal.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I remember some weird shit that went down when the QRL were doing everything in their power to undermine the Broncos. My memories are distorted but I think it was akin to a couple hiring a hall for a wedding reception and being told by the hall owners what brand beer the couple had to serve their guests ! I think I even remember them huddling around at half time surrounded by a Powers Bitter banner, a beer the QRL told the Broncos they couldn't sell to the Broncos own fans

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I remember some weird shit that went down when the QRL were doing everything in their power to undermine the Broncos. My memories are distorted but I think it was akin to a couple hiring a hall for a wedding reception and being told by the hall owners what brand beer the couple had to serve their guests ! I think I even remember them huddling around at half time surrounded by a Powers Bitter banner, a beer the QRL told the Broncos they couldn't sell to the Broncos own fans

Yeah against the Dragons. XXXX had the exclusive rights to Lang Park a deal the QRL was obviously keen to preserve and part of the Broncos' deal was no signage of Power's no serving of Power's beer.

That's why the first jumper only has POWER not Power's.

The Dragons' game got to half time and out came the Power's banner made into a makeshift shed on half way, players sat inside the square and that was half time.

QRL and XXXX were not happy.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah against the Dragons. XXXX had the exclusive rights to Lang Park a deal the QRL was obviously keen to preserve and part of the Broncos' deal was no signage of Power's no serving of Power's beer.

The Dragons' game got to half time and out came the Power's banner made into a makeshift shed on half way, players sat inside the square and that was half time.

Yeah I remember that when watching a Broncos VHS special video about the birth of the Broncos upto when the Broncos won their first premiership in 1992, I think it's Born to Win? Got it around here somewhere I'm sure.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
s-l1600.jpg

That is the one I'm thinking of.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
You may get confused, it's chapter 4 in the book and go by the page number in the book, not by the page scans.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

Can you tell me if I'm recollecting correctly but my thought was that they were selling Power's for some time before the dishonest QRL enforced the ban( or ensured it was part of a new sponsorship deal with xxxx )
I say dishonest because I'm sure I remember the QRL being asked directly, several times if they had anything to do with the Crushers....and they totally denied any connection with them, a claim later proven false.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Aldo
  • marw
  • Morkel
  • Howie
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Justwin
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Santa
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.