Bulldogs chasing L. Mitchell -11.5 million over 10 years

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

The Bulldogs are considering making a stunning 10-year, $11 million offer to superstar Latrell Mitchell which, if it goes ahead, would be the biggest player deal in rugby league history.
The Bulldogs are believed to have discussed an offer of more than $1 million a season for the superstar. This would become the most lucrative contract in rugby league.

The Roosters are believed to have recently tabled an upgraded deal of $800,000 a year for seasons 2020 and 2021. He is signed at the Roosters until the end of 2020.

Under NRL rules, Mitchell could sign with the Bulldogs from November 1 this year and would be free to join them for the 2021 season.

The offer would eclipse the 10-year, $10 million deal Jason Taumalolo signed with the Cowboys.

Somehow I have huge doubt that this is actually true, but if it is, the lunatics are running the asylum at the Dogs. Locking up a Centre that has shown himself to have an ordinary temperament at best on that much money for that long is just beyond the pale ridiculous. It is another Jarryd Hayne waiting to happen with a lot less upside.

I doubt it's true. It is quite plainly insane.

I doubt it's true. It is quite plainly insane.
Not really IMO.

He is young, has plenty of time left in the game, and has a bucketload of talent.

His signing might also bring other talent to the club.

It’s 1.1$m a season. That’s a good price for Mitchell. The 10 years is rough but if he is their fullback and they will get a good 5 or so at worst. At best they have a young Greg Inglis type to build a team around.

It’s risky but it isn’t insane.

Little while to go for that to fall apart.

Yeah could be, how long has he got left? Like 5-6 years or something? One bad injury, but not bad enough to retire medically and it could all change.

Latrell would be crazy to take anymore than 4-5 if he takes the money, from a legitimate career point of view.

Yeah could be, how long has he got left? Like 5-6 years or something? One bad injury, but not bad enough to retire medically and it could all change.

Latrell would be crazy to take anymore than 4-5 if he takes the money, from a legitimate career point of view.

Yeah ask Yow Yeh what an injury can do to ones career, 10 years is a long time in a players career and a lot can happen in that time and that isn't the only thing that can have a negative impact on a players career during that time. 5 years could be justified, 10 raises serious questions.

Last edited:
It still is.
At the time I thought it was too, but he's just kept on going. Looks like a masterstroke now imo, they have the best forward locked up for years to come - no concern for will he won't he contract distractions when you've got him locked up for the better part of a decade.

The only 2 lifetime contracts so far have been Taumalolo & DCE, I'd say if you asked the Cowboys & Sea Eagles how they feel about those contracts in retrospect they'd say they're delighted. Both of those players are still performing every week and are in the top 3 in their position at club level.

There still may come a time in a few years when there is some regret, but getting the best years guaranteed out of a really good player is seldom a bad thing, even if you do have to pay them a year or two more than you'd ideally like to.

I don't mind this ploy from the Bulldogs, I think it'd be fun if it happened.

It’s 1.1$m a season. That’s a good price for Mitchell. The 10 years is rough but if he is their fullback and they will get a good 5 or so at worst. At best they have a young Greg Inglis type to build a team around.

It’s risky but it isn’t insane.

No way he can play FB. He's lazy enough at centre and has quite an interesting physique which doesn't exactly lend itself to the work a FB needs to do.

No way he can play FB. He's lazy enough at centre and has quite an interesting physique which doesn't exactly lend itself to the work a FB needs to do.

This is exactly what people said about Inglis before he became one the most dominate fullback in the NRL for a few seasons.

For all we know, Mitchell's laziness could just be the Roosters instructions not to move away from your centre position, to always have an option of going that way. When Manu plays centre, he doesn't really do anything except wait for the ball either. I think he'd go well at fullback.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Dash
  • kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.