OFFICIAL Burgess signs with Souths

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
zs3VCaP.jpg

re: Pom Flees from Bath - Sam Burgess signs 3 year deal with South Sydney

Well big surprise. Jayne to join the Roosters too cos those sides don't have salary caps.

Good to see him back in league, now let's see how many nuffies Souths have to jettison.

Well Titan's and Tigers need all the nuffies they can get.

So they'll need to shed close to a million dollars, if his $1.5 mill asking price is accurate. Walker will have to go. The disappointing thing for him is that they'll only punt him to make way for Burgess. If they didn't need the cap space, he'd stay a bunny. You know they'll dress it up as a "mutual decision". The true hypocrisy will be if they keep Gray.

Well the NRL made that easy, let's see how Teo goes

Can we please update the thread title to "Pom flees from Bath"?
That's a little bit of magic right there

Well the NRL made that easy, let's see how Teo goes

Broncos next steps:

1. wait till NRL registers Burgess' contract

2. walk in with signed contracts from Teo and Folau

3. watch NRL's heads explode because they have set a precedent and they can't stop us signing Teo and Folau

Fucking Rabbits - next club to be done for salary cap rorting....

Well big surprise. Jayne to join the Roosters too cos those sides don't have salary caps.

Agree entirely.

The deal doesn't pass the smell test. There's a really bad smell about it actually.

Mind you I suppose that when a 'Pom flees from Bath" a bad smell is inevitable......

What are you guys talking about in regards to him not being able to fit under the cap lol, they're potentially losing Luke, Walker, McQueen, Stewart, Lowe, Grant. I'm pretty sure there's well over $1m in salary cap amongst that bunch.

What are you guys talking about in regards to him not being able to fit under the cap lol, they're potentially losing Luke, Walker, McQueen, Stewart, Lowe, Grant. I'm pretty sure there's well over $1m in salary cap amongst that bunch.

But they have only lost Luke, Stewart and Lowe at this stage.

Luke was gone anyway - so they won't have banked on paying him a salary next year and they would have redirected those funds already, so he is irrelevant.

Lowe would have been on bugger all.

Stewart - maybe $400 - $500 k - but I bet they have already used some of this for upgrades and the like (note that the Burgess Twins got significant increases because they played for England this year).

They might have $200 k in the tank (but that's even doubtful) - look at their 'resignings' from this year George Burgess (2018), Thomas Burgess (2018), Bryson Goodwin (2017), Aaron Gray (2017), Chris Grevsmuhl (2016), Alex Johnston (2017), Luke Keary (2016), Cameron McInnes (2017), Cameron Murray (2019), Adam Reynolds (2017), Kyle Turner (2017), David Tyrrell

None of them would have resigned for LESS.

They have also signed Oldfield and Cook.

Unless some players agree to leave then they are going to be MILES over the cap.

Not sure this is going to pass master with the NRL.

Yeah, this doesn't bother me that much either.

Burgess is a great player, but in excess of 1 million a year for a forward is fucking ridiculous.

Re: Pom Flees from Bath - Sam Burgess signs 3 year deal with South Sydney

But they have only lost Luke, Stewart and Lowe at this stage.

Luke was gone anyway - so they won't have banked on paying him a salary next year and they would have redirected those funds already, so he is irrelevant.

Lowe would have been on bugger all.

Stewart - maybe $400 - $500 k - but I bet they have already used some of this for upgrades and the like (note that the Burgess Twins got significant increases because they played for England this year).

They might have $200 k in the tank (but that's even doubtful) - look at their 'resignings' from this year George Burgess (2018), Thomas Burgess (2018), Bryson Goodwin (2017), Aaron Gray (2017), Chris Grevsmuhl (2016), Alex Johnston (2017), Luke Keary (2016), Cameron McInnes (2017), Cameron Murray (2019), Adam Reynolds (2017), Kyle Turner (2017), David Tyrrell

None of them would have resigned for LESS.

They have also signed Oldfield and Cook.

Unless some players agree to leave then they are going to be MILES over the cap.

Not sure this is going to pass master with the NRL.

* Burgii twins were on unders because they were here to play with Big Bro. They re-signed as Souffs top forwards (= big money)
* Gray - second tier to regular 1st grader
* Grevsmuhl - talented junior to regular 1st grader
* Johnson - being groomed as Inglis replacement
* Keary - talented junior to premiership-winning NRL half (=big money)
* McInnes - second tier to starting NRL hooker (the plan at the time).
* Reynolds - pretty sure the last contract was a decent upgrade already, but premiership winner since then.
* Turner - was already an NRL regular, would have received a big upgrade were it not for career-threatening injury IMO.

The Luke & Stewart probably disappeared just with the twins. They're going to have to release Walker, McQueen & Grant at the very least. Interestingly I read that Grant is on like $400k/yr. I could have sworn when they signed him it was on the cheap because the Panthers are carrying the bulk. So which is it Souths - you were able to afford him because he was cheap (and releasing him won't therefore free much up), or he is genuinely on good money (meaning the initial signing of him was a big dodgy) ?

No surprise in the end as he was a flop in Rugby and clearly didn't fit in.

First of all...it's great to see Burgess back in the game. Say what you want about him going to Souths, when Burgess left, he was the best forward in the game and had one of the best seasons of any forward period. The game is better for him back and honestly I hope the likes of SBW and Folau follow suit.

As for Souths, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few players make way. Until we see these players rock up at training next week, I can't really judge their salary cap situation.

Also have to say I'm bummed because Souths have basically gone from the team on the decline to front-runners again. That's a Top 4 roster and life just got harder for my Broncos.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • thenry
  • The True King
  • Fatboy
  • Griffo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Painin the Haas
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • LittleDavey
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • Spooky1013
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.