OFFICIAL Burgess signs with Souths

That was all before the Burgess thing happened.

So? We look to sign a player who may (I say may) sign for less than market value for whatever reason. "Oh no, must be market value. Or more, if they were under-valued last contract. Can't have anyone having an unfair advantage". Burgess comes along, requesting $1.5 mill, Souths submit contract for $500k, "Can't see a single issue with that", say the NRL. Which came first is irrelevant.

So? We look to sign a player who may (I say may) sign for less than market value for whatever reason. "Oh no, must be market value. Or more, if they were under-valued last contract. Can't have anyone having an unfair advantage". Burgess comes along, requesting $1.5 mill, Souths submit contract for $500k, "Can't see a single issue with that", say the NRL. Which came first is irrelevant.

When did the NRL come out and say anything about Teo, blocking him, what his price would be?

And where is this $500,000 number coming from? From all reports, he's on $1.5 Million a year.

Paywalled.

Why would they have to include a transfer fee? I don't see how paying money to the disadvantaged club to payout his contract should be counted, he's not getting the money, and it's not like there was anything stopping him from breaking ties and flying back to Australia like SBW.

$500,000 + TPD doesn't sound terrible. The only issue I see is making sure the NRL remain consistent with this for other clubs. Like the Broncos.

Paywalled.

Why would they have to include a transfer fee? I don't see how paying money to the disadvantaged club to payout his contract should be counted, he's not getting the money, and it's not like there was anything stopping him from breaking ties and flying back to Australia like SBW.

$500,000 + TPD doesn't sound terrible. The only issue I see is making sure the NRL remain consistent with this for other clubs. Like the Broncos.

But that is the exact issue, it's not consistent.

Last edited:
But that is the exact issue, it's not consist.

But that argument is flawed since the NRL haven't commented on the T'eo case, not that I can find anyway.

Folau was obviously a clusterfuck, but it's reported that the same wouldn't happen with the Burgess deal, and it didn't. So we don't know if they'll be consistent, yet.

Paywalled.

I'm not suggesting they include the transfer fee.

They've already proven they won't be consistent. There was a direct quote relating to the Te'o saga that if he was under-valued for his last contract he'd have to be considered under the cap at a nominal market rate. But when Burgess is considering coming home, and with a reported asking price of $1.5 mill a season, the NRL does not hesitate to register their contract of $500k, despite the fact that it is blatantly under-valued. Rules for them and rules for us. Just because it's always been the case, and now that the independent CEO has been punted, will continue to be the case, doesn't mean I can't fire up my bitching glands.

But that argument is flawed since the NRL haven't commented on the T'eo case, not that I can find anyway.

Folau was obviously a clusterfuck, but it's reported that the same wouldn't happen with the Burgess deal, and it didn't. So we don't know if they'll be consistent, yet.

It's been throughout the Te'o thread. If I have time later I'll post the NRL's comments for Te'o and those for Burgess and you'll see why my undies are twisted.

It's been throughout the Te'o thread. If I have time later I'll post the NRL's comments for Te'o and those for Burgess and you'll see why my undies are twisted.

I read that, so don't worry. All they were doing was following the standard PR rule book. There is no reason at this time to suggest that he would not be accepted under the same circumstances as Burgess. Beyond the NRL being inept at everything.

I read that, so don't worry. All they were doing was following the standard PR rule book. There is no reason at this time to suggest that he would not be accepted under the same circumstances as Burgess. Beyond the NRL being inept at everything.

So why didn't they follow the PR rule book for burgess?

The way they spread their legs for him was more like they were reading from Jenna Jameson's autobiography.

Last edited:
So why didn't they follow the PR rule book for burgess?

The way they spread their legs for him was more like they were reading from Jenna Jameson's autobiography.

So, let's just break it down.

Complain that Smith fucked up with the Folau signing, NRL change the way it gets players back into the game.

Then whinge about them changing it to make sure these players end up in the game.

Then whinge that the NRL are fucking the Broncos by stating what the rules are regarding the price of the player, without so much as discussing whether any prices were discussed, or even if the NRL had been speaking with Brisbane, or the player.

Apparently it was reported on chanel 7 (on Thursday Night) that the NRL won't register Souths contract with Burgess because even after they released Walker, the Burgess deal will still put Souths over the cap.

Did anyone see this?

Apparently it was reported on chanel 7 (on Thursday Night) that the NRL won't register Souths contract with Burgess because even after they released Walker, the Burgess deal will still put Souths over the cap.

Did anyone see this?

I put a link to an article in the player movements thread I think

For the sake of posterity, the signing is official.

The contract of returning Rabbitohs star Sam Burgess has been registered with the NRL, following the departures of Souths players Dylan Walker and Chris McQueen.

The Rabbitohs announced the news on Sunday along with the news of contract extensions for young players Angus Crichton and Hymel Hunt.
Former Australian Schoolboys representative Crichton, 19, will join the Rabbitohs' full-time squad next season and has signed a deal keeping him at the club until 2018.
Outside back Hunt, 22, joins Souths from Melbourne on a one-year deal.
"We're pleased to be adding Hymel to our squad and to be extending the contract of young Angus as well," Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire said.
"Both players have plenty of potential that we'll be looking to develop during this pre-season with the help of the staff and the rest of the boys here in the squad."

NRL registers Sam Burgess contract - NRL.com

It appears they also had room in their second tier cap to sign Hymel Hunt who was without a home.

It's going to be great to see Burgess back in the game.

I read today in the paper that gladiator and mumma burgess made it official finally :laugh:

Unread

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • The Strapper
  • GCBRONCO
  • Battler
  • Footy Fanatic
  • thenry
  • Alec
  • johnny plath
  • Volvo Driver
  • Mister Wright
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
  • Spike
  • Santa
  • KateBroncos1812
  • levikaden
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.