International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Burgessg 17040769

Broncos told to sign off-contract Rabbitohs prop George Burgess

April 6, 2019

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't be the worst, be nice if we had picked up James Graham a few years ago.
Always thought George Burgess would sign for us when Seibold came. The downside would be TPJ going to Bunnies. Overall we would be better off given with the depth of young forwards.

Would probably only be an option if TPJ left, Carrigan and 1 or 2 others don’t pan out, you’d assume being a burgess he’d want to be paid handsomely.

Or you know..we could hold off signing forwards until our 500k/season monster has at least a single game.

Last edited:
*sigh* We don't need more forwards.

I think TPJ has more upside, both can have big games and some really loose ones too... so if we don't want to spend big money on him, we probably shouldn't spend big money on Georgess either.

But I think the Broncs have to be really careful with money. We've got a lot of cash tied up in a handful of players already, and then you'll probably be expecting Fifita and a few others to join them too.

Last edited:
I’d trade 2 of our promising forwards for Sam and his leadersbhip.

So who are these people telling the broncos to do it?

He’s worse than our forwards. Honestly, if seibold is any good we should be fine with the stock we’ve got

It would be a no to Gurgess from me. If we were to go out in the market place to buy an experienced hard head prop, I would go for Marty Taupau.

View attachment 4762

Broncos told to sign off-contract Rabbitohs prop George Burgess

April 6, 2019

Brisbane have been urged to launch a multimillion-dollar poaching raid on South Sydney giant George Burgess to give the Broncos the premiership-winning enforcer they are missing.

The off-season departure of Sam Thaiday (retirement) and Josh McGuire (Cowboys) has taken 498 NRL games out of a Broncos forward pack that has been comprehensively dominated in the opening month of the premiership.

The Broncos enter Thursday night’s clash against Wests Tigers at Suncorp Stadium teetering with a 1-3 record as NRL rivals exploit Brisbane’s highly-talented but extremely inexperienced midfield.

Melbourne and the Dragons both outpointed Brisbane’s front six and coach Anthony Seibold was left to lament another midfield mauling in the Broncos’ 36-4 rout on Thursday night which represented their worst-ever loss to the Roosters.

While there is understandable hype around Brisbane’s young guns, including back-row gems David Fifita and Jaydn Su’A, the Broncos’ front-row lacks a seasoned standover man.

Brisbane’s five props this season — Joe Ofahengaue (74 matches), Tevita Pangai Jr (58), Matt Lodge (39), Tom Flegler (four) and Payne Haas (three) — are not even close to reaching 100 games in their NRL careers.

The NRL’s leading enforcers — Cowboys’ Matt Scott (255), Melbourne’s Jesse Bromwich (206) and Roosters hitman Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (202) — leave Brisbane’s front-row in the shade on the score of experience.

Broncos legend Steve Renouf believes Burgess is the answer. The off-contract Rabbitohs prop and Pangai Jr are the two most damaging bookends on the open market and Renouf is adamant Burgess would bring instant authority and muscle to Brisbane’s engine room.

“The Broncos should sign George Burgess. They need a hardhead like him,” Renouf said.

“Matt Lodge needs help up front. He is an excellent young prop but he needs a senior enforcer to lead the way.

“I know it’s not easy with the salary cap and I don’t know if Brisbane can afford him, but George Burgess would be a good asset.

“I love the way the Burgess boys play. Lodge would be a great foil for someone like George Burgess.”

Burgess, who turns 27 in a fortnight, has played 137 NRL games. The 120kg monster was a member of Souths’ 2014 premiership team and has amassed 16,443 running metres since his debut in 2012 at an average of 120m per game.

Burgess last month spurned a $1.8 million three-year offer from the Eels to honour his deal with Souths this year, but the Broncos have a trump card in coach Anthony Seibold.

Seibold mentored Burgess at Redfern last season and the English Test star credited the NRL’s coach-of-the-year for his barnstorming form revival in 2018 after two injury-plagued years.

The Broncos are currently battling salary-cap issues. They would need to consider offloading off-contract duo Pangai Jr and Alex Glenn to accommodate a player of Burgess’ status.

But Burgess has not ruled out exploring his options, telling Sydney media: “I would love to stay at Redfern but you have a short career and you have to make the most of it.

“For me, I am always playing for my pride really in myself.

“If I start thinking too much about playing for a contract, that is going to affect me in the wrong way.”

Source: Courier Mail
No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no, and no. Guaranteed way to cripple the Bronco's for several years. He'd cost a fortune and forwards we've got. Ffs, we've only got to look at Melbourne for the winning formula. They don't go and spend fortunes on frontrowers, big second rowers. No, they spend money on quality playmakers and use forwards that get the job done. Combined with Bellamy's brilliance in coaching and his unbending demand for performance, week in week out means success. Yes, I know he's got Smith but everone can see how he turns regular forwards into better forwards. Their roles are so well defined they gain confidence and BELIEF. Belief is what raises a performance level.

Last edited:
I do not understand the ask for more forwards. The whole mantra in the pre-season was 'Broncos have got exciting young forward pack to which all the clubs must be envy of'. Now all of a sudden, we need more forwards? NO, not at all. We need a genuine half who can channel & guide the team.

Sure, our young forwards lacks experience but they get that experience by putting their body on the line every game and learn the hard way but not by some lethargic defense. They also get to learn from a "general" who can control the team by game management. The current pint's we play aren't capable of game management. When we struggling to get out of our end, kicking to opposition in 3 or 4th tackle will not helps us always.

In current market, who has a genuine half whom we can target for the next 2-3 years? We definitely can't target Cleary or Croft(?) as they are tied (almost) to their current clubs for longer term. We certainly DO NOT need journey man like Maloney or Green who are at their back end of their career.

We're still in oblivion around our half-back. We must test & promote someone from in-house. We do have options & it's about time we find our own next Locky/JT/Cronk. Wish Anthoy. S does that very soon.

Last edited:

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Mr Fourex
  • Xzei
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • Organix
  • kman
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mystico
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • cento
  • bazza
  • Justwin
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.