NEWS Cameron Smith’s warning to Broncos as rivals circle stars

As much as we hate him his ringing endorsement of Siebs and saying that we were looking likely to win a comp if we can keep our young guys together has done us a huge favour and will count for something to those guys when negotiations do start.

Must be nice to be part of a parasitic club that just sits back and picks up who they want instead of actually investing in the game - such as the storm with their grand total of zero Victorian jrs despite 20 years of sustained success. I wish the NRL actually gave some incentive to bringing in kids; the Raiders were sick of clubs taking jrs off them so they just in the other direction and look how that's working out for them.

EDIT: I understand that the storm bring in talent from QLD, but they're supposed to be a Victorian club.

Last edited:
Must be nice to be part of a parasitic club that just sits back and picks up who they want instead of actually investing in the game - such as the storm with their grand total of zero Victorian jrs despite 20 years of sustained success. I wish the NRL actually gave some incentive to bringing in kids; the Raiders were sick of clubs taking jrs off them so they just in the other direction and look how that's working out for them.

EDIT: I understand that the storm bring in talent from QLD, but they're supposed to be a Victorian club.
Zero fucking victorian players. How can ANYONE justify that. It is honestly pathetic. And they don't look like changing their ways. Their netball team and reserve teams are based in QLD, ffs it is so pathetic after 20 years.
[automerge]1565084175[/automerge]

Cameron Smith’s warning to Broncos as rivals circle stars
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
7 minutes ago

Queensland champion Cam Smith has warned the Broncos face being ripped apart by NRL rivals preparing big-money raids on Brisbane’s best batch of talent in 20 years. On the eve of Brisbane’s season-defining derby against the Cowboys on Thursday night, former Maroons skipper Smith says the Broncos will soon be under siege to retain their young guns in pursuit of premiership success. Promising hooker Jake Turpin was the latest Bronco to stay loyal on Tuesday, inking a three-year upgrade to join key forward duo Matt Lodge and Tevita Pangai Jr in pledging their futures to Brisbane.

Cameron Smith says Brisbane must brace themselves for an ambush on their squad. Picture: Bradley Kanaris

Cameron Smith says Brisbane must brace themselves for an ambush on their squad. Picture: Bradley Kanaris

But more retention headaches are looming for the Broncos. Queensland’s flagship NRL club has 11 players off-contract next season, including key quartet Anthony Milford, skipper Darius Boyd, Jack Bird and Andrew McCullough, plus boom rookies Tom Flegler, David Fifita and Kotoni Staggs. Despite Brisbane’s heavy 40-4 loss to the Storm last Friday night, Smith believes the Broncos have the stable of talent to win a seventh premiership, but advised the club to brace for poaching threats. “Staying together is the challenge for the Broncos,” Smith told The Courier-Mail.

Brisbane’s gun rookies will command plenty of attention from rivals. Picture: Dave Hunt

Brisbane’s gun rookies will command plenty of attention from rivals. Picture: Dave Hunt

“I can see the talent they’ve got and they could do that (win a premiership) in the next few years, but the issue is keeping their squad together. “Other clubs are going to come calling to get their best talent – I can see it happening. “The challenge for Brisbane now is to keep these kids together under the salary cap to keep stability in the club.” Storm hooker Smith grew up in Logan at a time when the Broncos were rugby league’s powerhouse club, winning six premierships in a golden era between 1992-2006. Now mired in a 13-year premiership drought, the Broncos are in danger of missing the finals this season for just the sixth time in 32 seasons.

Jake Turpin re-signed with the club on Tuesday. Picture: Jono Searle

Jake Turpin re-signed with the club on Tuesday. Picture: Jono Searle

Smith says the expectation on the Broncos is huge but believes Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold, who worked at Melbourne for three years, can eventually bring success to Red Hill. “I know Anthony Seibold from his days in Melbourne and he’s a good coach, he’s a smart coach,” Smith said. “His style of coaching is very different to Wayne Bennett’s. “We’ve seen signs of his style coming through this year, they have been in pretty good touch in the last month so it’s just about getting the young guys to have that consistency every week. “They have gone through a lot of change as has our club. “I lived my entire childhood in Brisbane watching them succeed and they were the benchmark of this competition for a long, long time, but they are going through a period of change.

“They are missing some experience in key positions. “In this competition you need to be on every weekend to be competitive. It will take the Broncos a while to get back to the top, but in the next 18 months to two years, with their level of talent, they can be back around the benchmark of the competition again.”

Veteran Brisbane back-rower Alex Glenn, himself off-contract at season’s end, said the Broncos have already had to fight hard to retain Lodge, Pangai Jr and Turpin. “In this game there are always salary-cap issues,” he said. “It’s hard to keep your squad together at one club when everyone else wants a piece of them. “It’s definitely hard for our club, we’ve had to make some tough decisions to release players in order to keep others for the future. “I’d hate to be a head coach in this game. To make these big calls and how you will structure the roster for a long time, that’s the stressful part of the job to try and win premierships.”
This guy is a wanker...
2 books, boats... No fucking shame...
I have a lot of teams I want to win ahead of the roosters but it'd give me great satisfaction in knowing it would BURN c Smith if cronk got another one up on him..

Last edited:
Zero fucking victorian players. How can ANYONE justify that. It is honestly pathetic. And they don't look like changing their ways. Their netball team and reserve teams are based in QLD, ffs it is so pathetic after 20 years.
[automerge]1565084175[/automerge]

This guy is a wanker...
2 books, boats... No fucking shame...
I have a lot of teams I want to win ahead of the roosters but it'd give me great satisfaction in knowing it would BURN c Smith if cronk got another one up on him..

Its a weird one. Their development is in QLD a lot, and they do it very well, but surely by now they should have had more players from Victoria.

Its a weird one. Their development is in QLD a lot, and they do it very well, but surely by now they should have had more players from Victoria.
Salary cap because its not fair. Cap for off field spending because its not fair. But the nrl don't give a shit if clubs aren't developing the game in the region they are in. "but they are growing the game in Victoria". They are winning, that's it. They aren't developing shit, proof is in the pudding. Not one victorian in their squad after 20 years of sustained success. PATHETIC

Salary cap because its not fair. Cap for off field spending because its not fair. But the nrl don't give a shit if clubs aren't developing the game in the region they are in. "but they are growing the game in Victoria". They are winning, that's it. They aren't developing shit, proof is in the pudding. Not one victorian in their squad after 20 years of sustained success. PATHETIC

Maybe a salary cap concession for Victorian born and bred players would incentivize them to develop down there. I take your point, but i still think they develop players and do it well, they just develop players in QLD instead of Victoria, which i do agree isnt great. Dont see how the game is being developed down there when their money is going to Easts and the Falcons in QLD. They dont appear to do a great deal to improve rugby league at grass roots level in Victoria.

“I can see the talent they’ve got and they could do that (win a premiership) in the next few years, but the issue is keeping their squad together. “Other clubs are going to come calling to get their best talent – I can see it happening. “The challenge for Brisbane now is to keep these kids together under the salary cap to keep stability in the club.”
Lol **** up hypocrite ****.

Roosters seem to be able to field a rep side without a drama, and still make big money plays for the likes of TPJ.

Reality is that Lodge, Turpin, Offa, TPJ, Carrigan Paix etc have all signed for less on off elsewhere. They all know the score, they all know what's on offer, but they are mostly talking openly about their love for the club growing up, their desire to stay and build a dominant team. I look at the emotion shown by Coates and co in that video, you can't buy that. Cam Smith is right, we have the makings of a premiership team in the future, however I do not fear rivals cheque books.

It’s not true.

Widdop and Jeremy Smith were Altona juniors. Kennar and Young were juniors from Northern.

I'm no fan of the Storm but surely developing Victorian players requires several levels of lower teir competitions, like we have in Qld and in NSW. I don't actually know what the situation is in Victoria but I assume there's nothing anywhere near comparable there, and it's something that seems beyond the ability of a single NRL club to bring about.

It’s not true.

Widdop and Jeremy Smith were Altona juniors. Kennar and Young were juniors from Northern.
Hahahahahahaha

Gareth widdop was 16 when he moved to Victoria after growing up playing league in Northern England...
Jeremy Smith was born in New Zealand and spent most of his junior years on the gold Coast I believe. Richie kennar and Young... Ffs, the population in Melbourne alone is more than all of queensland. Its been 20 fucking years. Your defence of them not developing any players of note has ran out of steam.
What's the point of them being in the nrl? We could get the EXACT SAME EFFECT taking an origin to Melbourne every year. That's not even a joke. It's honestly pathetic. Imagine the uproar if new Zealand started recruiting totally from nsw or qld? What's the difference, union is the number one sport in nz. Storm have had 20 plus years.
[automerge]1565093692[/automerge]
I'm no fan of the Storm but surely developing Victorian players requires several levels of lower teir competitions, like we have in Qld and in NSW. I don't actually know what the situation is in Victoria but I assume there's nothing anywhere near comparable there, and it's something that seems beyond the ability of a single NRL club to bring about.
Yes it does!!!!! AND wtf have the storm done in 20 plus years to achieve that? 20 plus years.
Look how new Zealand have invested back in its own country. It isn't the number one sport there but it has developed a talent pool.
The Melbourne storm have spent more money in QLD than they have in Victoria, no one can say that's not true. How is that a good thing for the growth of the game in Victoria?

Last edited:
Hahahahahahaha

Gareth widdop was 16 when he moved to Victoria after growing up playing league in Northern England...
Jeremy Smith was born in New Zealand and spent most of his junior years on the gold Coast I believe. Richie kennar and Young... Ffs, the population in Melbourne alone is more than all of queensland. Its been 20 fucking years. Your defence of them not developing any players of note has ran out of steam.
What's the point of them being in the nrl? We could get the EXACT SAME EFFECT taking an origin to Melbourne every year. That's not even a joke. It's honestly pathetic. Imagine the uproar if new Zealand started recruiting totally from nsw or qld? What's the difference, union is the number one sport in nz. Storm have had 20 plus years.
[automerge]1565093692[/automerge]

Yes it does!!!!! AND wtf have the storm done in 20 plus years to achieve that? 20 plus years.
Look how new Zealand have invested back in its own country. It isn't the number one sport there but it has developed a talent pool.
The Melbourne storm have spent more money in QLD than they have in Victoria, no one can say that's not true. How is that a good thing for the growth of the game in Victoria?

Yet when the same applies to the Broncos you happily call them juniors. Dearden moves to Brisbane in December at 18. Hope you never call him a Brisbane junior.

League has been played in New Zealand for 100 years they had fields and have produced players they haven’t started from scratch since early 1900!

League is up 300% in Victoria last 10 years. The new community league centre is being built and they’re aiming for it to house the girls team eventually.

25 clubs now with 1/5 registered girls.

Last edited:
Yet when the same applies to the Broncos you happily call them juniors. Dearden moves to Brisbane in December at 18. Hope you never call him a Brisbane junior.

League has been played in New Zealand for 100 years they had fields and have produced players they haven’t started from scratch since early 1900!

League is up 300% in Victoria last 10 years. The new community league centre is being built and they’re aiming for it to house the girls team eventually.

25 clubs now with 1/5 girls.
League is 300% sounds fantastic, but 3 people is 300% of 1 person. The growth is terrible. Especially considering they have "won" 5 premierships, been at the top of the ladder nearly every year, and have had origins given to them (where they gain more attention then storm making a gf).
The broncos have also developed 100's of other players so......... And you're the one who always goes on about "he's not a broncos junior, he started at easts as a 6 year old"..
Stop defending it. Its abysmal. And 1/5 girls. Is that possibly because the numbers for the boys are so small that it didn't take much to get 1/5 of their numbers?
All of this stuff youre telling me could be achieved by taking away the storm grant and spending it on nrl development in Victoria with origin given to Melbourne once a year. EASILY.
They spend more money in qld because it benefits them.
Also, rugby league has been in new Zealand 100 years.... Its been in Wales 110 years. The warriors have invested in LOCAL talent and have grown the talent pool. Surely you can't deny that. Look at the percentage of people from new Zealand in the nrl now compared to before they came in... Now go look at the same percentage of victorians who played in the nrl last weekend compared to the year before the storm came in... If Peter Wallace or timana tahu were playing then it's actually gone down by 200%!

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Redux
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Accept
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.