NEWS Cameron Smith announces retirement

For me it’s the Brady argument, is he really the goat or has he just been in a ridiculously well coached team. Also was he just one of the cogs in team full of legends in origin for 8 years? No doubting he’s an awesome player and one of the very best but the GOAT?

Brady proved he’s the goat by winning with another team.will smith risk it?

I know I’ll always wonder.

I don't think there can really be a single best of all time, I prefer to consider the best of all time in each position, and he's certainly the best hooker the game has seen.

I don't think there can really be a single best of all time, I prefer to consider the best of all time in each position, and he's certainly the best hooker the game has seen.
Spot on.

You're probably right, but I do see Smith with his nose in front of all of them regardless because for me Rugby League is about both attack and defence and he was a master at both, which almost no other player in the GOAT conversation can really claim.

You could argue that it isn't a Half's job to defend so it isn't relevant to their ability and not worth assessing them on, but in Smith's case he was not only the primary playmaker even at Dummy Half, he was also the core of their middle defence, in the process basically re-writing what it means to be an elite Dummy Half in the NRL and changing that role forever.

For me, the fact he's dominated the game in both these elements puts him just a little above even the likes of Wally, Locky, JT and Joey and probably does make him the greatest of all time.

Last edited:
You're probably right, but I do see Smith with his nose in front of all of them regardless because for me Rugby League is about both attack and defence and he was a master at both, which almost no other player in the GOAT conversation can really claim.

You could argue that it isn't a Half's job to defend so it isn't relevant to their ability and not worth assessing them on, but in Smith's case he was not only the primary playmaker even at Dummy Half, he was also the core of their middle defence, in the process basically re-writing what it means to be an elite Dummy Half in the NRL and changing that role forever.

For me, the fact he's dominated the game in both these elements puts him just a little above even the likes of Wally, Locky, JT and Joey and probably does make him the greatest of all time.

His attack doesn't compare to Locky's or Joey's imo. His defence is on par with Joey and Wally, although he made more tackles more often.

Ultimately it's a matter of opinion. Whether Smith wants to accept it or not, he owes his success to salary cap rorting. If the Storm weren't so successful between 2005-2010, his legacy would be very different. It might not have ended up where it has.

That said, he is in the mix for best ever, easily top five and guaranteed Immortal. They just better not shaft Locky to accommodate him and JT.

Last edited:
That said, he is in the mix for best ever, easily top five and guaranteed Immortal. They just better not shaft Locky to accommodate him and JT.
It's the NRL, so they probably will. And they'll throw in Slater, Cronk, Inglis and Gallen (because he played 80 mins in Origin that one time) for good measure.

Yeah I see the point, but for me the fact that Locky dominated the game in 2 different positions is what puts him ahead of everyone else

😆 dam Joe you know how to mess with a man's head. Any thoughts on how the boys performed last night?
Worryingly similar to the 2020 Broncos.

Looked good for around half the game, but in the end, it was another in a long line of less than 80 minute performances.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Lozza
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • Jazza
  • Manofoneway
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Broncorob
  • Browny
  • Ozired
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Strop
  • armchair
  • Mightybroncs2k17
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.