NEWS Captain Milf, for sure

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Screenshot 2021 01 29 Broncos NRL Team The Courier Mail

Kevin Walters is naming the next captain, or not, depending on whether you can spin this non comment into a story:

“We’ll make a decision on (the captaincy) later next month or early March when the season starts. There’s certainly some guys putting their hand up and Anthony (Milford) is one of them. He’s a good trainer and he’s a good player – it’s now for Anthony to work in with the team and sorting out the problem areas that we face. I’ve been very impressed with all the players and Milf has come back in good shape post-Christmas which shows he’s determined for a really good season here at the Broncos.”

Imagev13c2aef7d435f6f47a86494745d6f7272 46iahoo0by7dybu2qq2

Did someone say KFC?

Alex Glenn did a good job under difficult circumstances last year but we want all of our players to be leaders. It doesn’t matter if they’re captain or not, we want them all to stand up and play the way they can play. We know what they can do on the footy field and it’s now for them to do that in a few weeks’ time.”

Herbiefarnworth   BpurDaaHk e

Wingman to leading man

Herbie Farnworth played it cool:

“I haven’t really thought too much about the captaincy but he’s a good bloke, Milf. He’s a good bloke on the field and a good bloke off it as well. I wouldn’t have any problem with (him being captain).”

McHunt

Last edited:
You're spot on @McHunt, it's just so hard to tell if this is a journo extrapolating a throwaway line selectively to drum up a story, but if it is true it's a pretty strong indication that our Captain likely won't be Alex Glenn, and is a fair chance to be Anthony Milford.

Granted, Glenn is unlikely to be in our side by 2022, but he's at least the incumbent Captain. If we name him we're at least giving some stability until he likely retires. Relative to this, naming Milford is possibly as risky as naming Macca. Both guys could well be gone at the end of this season unless they have dramatic turnarounds in form. This is certainly a slim possibility for Milford, but you certainly wouldn't like to be betting your life on it based on current evidence. For Macca it seems outright fanciful.

The revolving door of Captains is a terrible look and not good for team morale, the sooner it stops the better. Lets give the guys a chance to put their hands up this year while Glenn is still around and then worry about his replacement once Milford or Carrigan or Lodge or whoever it is longer term actually put some runs on the board this year.

This is from the video just posted in the website. It was a response to the question “is Anthony Milford in the running for captaincy”. It was literally the only way Kev could answer the question.

Herbje was asked the same question and gave the most non-committed answer available.

it was basically a journo asking “is Milf a shot at captain” and then a coach and team mate answering the question in a way that they would’ve answered it if you swapped Milford for any other player name.

You're spot on @McHunt, it's just so hard to tell if this is a journo extrapolating a throwaway line selectively to drum up a story, but if it is true it's a pretty strong indication that our Captain likely won't be Alex Glenn, and is a fair chance to be Anthony Milford.

Granted, Glenn is unlikely to be in our side by 2022, but he's at least the incumbent Captain. If we name him we're at least giving some stability until he likely retires. Relative to this, naming Milford is possibly as risky as naming Macca. Both guys could well be gone at the end of this season unless they have dramatic turnarounds in form. This is certainly a slim possibility for Milford, but you certainly wouldn't like to be betting your life on it based on current evidence. For Macca it seems outright fanciful.

The revolving door of Captains is a terrible look and not good for team morale, the sooner it stops the better. Lets give the guys a chance to put their hands up this year while Glenn is still around and then worry about his replacement once Milford or Carrigan or Lodge or whoever it is longer term actually put some runs on the board this year.
Well, I've been saying forever if Milford isn't good enough to be captain, he's ****-all use to the team and we should've moved him on years ago. Instead of Kodi.

My idea of Kevvie's idea of captain is your highest paid player, who stands in the middle of the field, controls the game, and up against the wall, wins it single-handedly. Like Wally, Fitler, Langer, Johns, himself, you know the names. That should be Milford, but the bar gradually accepted by Seibold, and recently echoed by Walters, is that Milford needs to be free to play "his own game." Which means, in his case, to play by the seat of his pants, without thinking ahead or being responsible for what happens next after he touches the ball. That's not sustainable in a player who's slowing down, doesn't call the ball and looks lost. And it's not what you want from your marquee signing.

In my observation, Milford is an exceptionally gifted footballer who's relied on twitch muscles and arse, but now gets snookered every time by oppositions who know his routine. And that seems to have blunted his willingness to try his hand. It's hard to tell whether he's become lazy or given in to not having it anymore.

Great halves graduate from being twitchy jackrabbits into wise old men who steer the ship and save the day. Milford has aged early, but the wise old man is nowhere to be seen. He has five weeks, in my book. And that's being generous because Walters understands both Milford and what's needed at five-eighth.

Last edited:
We’d have some scintillating post-match pressers with Milf as captain.
The trick they learnt with Steve Smith was to hand him something to play with to keep him from sticking his finger up his nose.

We’d have some scintillating post-match pressers with Milf as captain.

Indeed, but not quite reaching the heights of the wit and eloquence of Matt Lodge

Milford did not just have leadership spring up like a sunflower in his personality in one off season. He barely talks on field. No chance he would be a good choice.

Being Captain of this club has lost its prestige.
It was at one time the highest honor a Bronco could achieve, perhaps only second to being captain of QLD or Australia.
Now its just pick the least shit/oldest player in the side and hand them the reigns.

I don't have any answers to this problem, but there it is.
If Milford is made captain, all my hope in Kevvie will die with that decision.

It was at one time the highest honor a Bronco could achieve, perhaps only second to being captain of QLD or Australia.
In an ideal world, these are all the same person.

Now its just pick the least shit/oldest player in the side and hand them the reigns.

I don't have any answers to this problem, but there it is.
If Milford is made captain, all my hope in Kevvie will die with that decision.
I'm sure it will become an honor again in the future it's just lately we haven't had obvious choices for it, as we haven't had a player that was both experienced and good since Parker and Hodges.

Has a team ever named no captain? I'd be tempted to do this just to show them that they're so far below an NRL team that none deserve to be an NRL captain, let alone the Broncos. If the ref asks our captain to make a decision or consult with the ref, call Alfie up.

Has a team ever named no captain? I'd be tempted to do this just to show them that they're so far below an NRL team that none deserve to be an NRL captain, let alone the Broncos. If the ref asks our captain to make a decision or consult with the ref, call Alfie up.
.... Actually don't think this is a bad idea......... tell the team no one has earned it yet and tell them the hardest trainer that week will be the games nominated captain until someone shows they want it and earns the respect of team mates, coaching staff and fans through hard work on and off the ball, and on and off the field...

Active Now

• Xzei
  • RolledOates
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.