NEWS Captaincy material? Lodge divides Broncos

"When the response was slow, Lodge urged his teammates to join him. They did."

I was a bit disappointed to read that our boys were slow to respond and needed to be urged by Lodgey to give up some of their time. I think this shows that our club culture has still quite a bit to come before we can say it's back to where we want it.

Hope Lodgey kicked some of their over-privileged arses into gear - lazy ungrateful turds.

"When the response was slow, Lodge urged his teammates to join him. They did."

I was a bit disappointed to read that our boys were slow to respond and needed to be urged by Lodgey to give up some of their time. I think this shows that our club culture has still quite a bit to come before we can say it's back to where we want it.

Hope Lodgey kicked some of their over-privileged arses into gear - lazy ungrateful turds.

I'd be a little bit leery of reading this too literally. I suspect the author is attempting to sell the notion that Matt is persuasive as a leader rather than that the rest of the team are bludgers. You'd have to wonder where he got this story and why it was told to him. You can bank that it didn't come from Lodge.

Last edited:
I'd be a little bit leery of reading this too literally. I suspect the author is attempting to sell the notion that Matt is persuasive as a leader rather than that the rest of the team are bludgers. You'd have to wonder where he got this story and why it was told to him. You can bank that it didn't come from Lodge.
They way some of them failed to turn up and do a job at BankWest stadium suggest there are indeed a few ( and even one is too many) ungrateful lazy turds that need a good arse kicking I can assure you.

Lodge elevation divides Broncos greats

Controversial Broncos forward Matt Lodge
Controversial Broncos forward Matt Lodge

Brent Read
Senior Sports Writer
12:00AM September 26, 2019

donated his time

Matt Lodge should have been on holidays this week. Instead, he spent Wednesday at a free community barbecue in Stanthorpe, a town about 220km from Brisbane that has been ravaged by bushfires in recent weeks. Lodge donated his time signing autographs, cooking sausages and playing touch football with the locals, completely ignorant of the brushfire that continued to rage in rugby league around the prospect of him taking on more responsibility at the Broncos.

raising money and spirits

While the Broncos frontrower was raising money and spirits in a town in desperate need of all the help it can get, two of the club’s most revered and respected figures were debating the merits of his potential rise to captaincy.

contrasting views

Darren Lockyer, a Broncos board member and former captain, acknowledged it would initially be difficult to manage but ultimately the decision would be judged by on-field performance. Glenn Lazarus offered the other, more extreme side of the argument, in an interview on Macquarie Sports Radio. He claimed his blood boiled at the thought of Lodge becoming captain of the Broncos. The contrasting views encapsulate what has developed into an emotional debate since The Weekend Australian revealed that Lodge was set to be given more responsibility at the Broncos from next season.

likely to be part of a co-captaincy

The frontrower is already a member of the leadership group and, despite speculation he could be given the sole captaincy, it is understood that if he is to carry the C beside his name, it is more likely to be part of a co-captaincy structure involving he and other senior figures within the playing group.

precedent: Russell Packer

Lodge’s critics suggest his past actions — four years ago he went on a drunken rampage in New York, throwing punches and threatening a family during a home invasion — make it impossible for him to ascend to the captaincy. Yet there is a precedent. New Zealand international Russell Packer spent 12 months in prison for assault and was subsequently promoted to captaincy of the Wests Tigers.

Broncos: intelligent and respected

The Broncos are led by intelligent and respected people. Chairman Karl Morris also chairs brokerage firm Ord Minnett and QSuper. He sits on the board of charities such as Bravehearts. It is understood he has developed a high opinion of Lodge. Chief executive Paul White is one of the most respected bosses in rugby league. Like Morris, he can’t speak highly enough of Lodge.

smart and sensible men

They are smart and sensible men, at the same time fully aware of the public commentary that would shadow any move to make Lodge captain. They better than anyone know why he is in the mix for increased responsibility, having watched his efforts to turn around his life. Lodge has spent every waking minute over the past four years working on making himself a better man, husband and father.

NRL Academic team of the year

He hasn’t touched a drop of alcohol for more than three years. He is studying for a university degree and is expected to be named in the NRL Academic team of the year. He does inordinate amounts of work for charity, never seeking attention or adulation for everything he does. He is deeply thoughtful, something that becomes evident with a quick scan of social media where he talks about giving up technology for a month after watching documentaries, and pays homage to those who have helped turn his life around.

first to put his hand up

He has become acutely aware of his place in society and the need to use his profile to help others. Just ask the people of Stanthorpe. When the Broncos asked for volunteers for the trip, Lodge was the first to put his hand up even though he and his teammates are on holidays. When the response was slow, Lodge urged his teammates to join him. They did.

worked hard to atone

Lodge continues to pay a high price for a night in New York when he let himself down. He has worked hard in recent years to atone. It may not be enough in the eyes of some to justify handing him the captaincy of the biggest club in the game. Then again, in the eyes of some people, nothing will.

This is our captain!

Some of our past C’s have been massive C’s and I think Lodge would be one of the biggest C’s in our current lineup, if not the biggest.

Naturally, it makes sense to give him the C.

Lodge the C as the C of the Broncos would also make all the C’s down south mad.

That’s a yes from this C.

Towards the back end of our season, I started to think Lodgey was going to be our next captain. I think he'll do a good job. Hodgo rubbed people the wrong way on the field, but I think he's been our best captain since Locky retired. I think Lodge will be the same way on the field, just take no shit from anyone, opponents and teammates.

So he's going to be part of a group of captains? So something like this:

1. Milford (c)
2. Oates (vc)
3. Staggs (c)
4. Boyd (vc)
5. Isaako (vc)
6. Dearden (vc)
7. Croft (c)
8. Lodge (c)
9. Turpin (c)
10. Haas (vc)
11. Fifita (vc)
12. TPJ (c)
13. Carrigan (vc)

14. Paix (vc)
15. Joffa (c)
16. Flegler (vc)
17. Gillett (c)

18. Shibasaki (c)
19. Kennedy (vc)
20. Coates (vc)
21. Farnworth (c)

So he's going to be part of a group of captains? So something like this:

1. Milford (c)
2. Oates (vc)
3. Staggs (c)
4. Boyd
5. Isaako (vc)
6. Dearden (vc)
7. Croft (c)
8. Lodge (c)
9. Turpin (c)
10. Haas (vc)
11. Fifita (vc)
12. TPJ (c)
13. Carrigan (vc)

14. Paix (vc)
15. Joffa (c)
16. Flegler (vc)
17. Gillett (c)

18. Shibasaki (c)
19. Kennedy (vc)
20. Coates (vc)
21. Farnworth (c)

There we go, fixed a bit.

Ok, i was not a fan of the lodge captaincy, but i am warming to it. If our players respect him, see him as a leader and he feels he can do the job, who cares what other people think.

I do think we need someone for when he is off the field though.

Yeah, it is really hard to imagine most of this squad being lazy, entitled brats...

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.