CASUALTIES & SUSPENSIONS 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this does not matter now but can we just establish this once and for all.....

The Broncos DID NOT offer Dearden a contract. I don't see why ppl keep putting it on Tom that he went to the Cows.
The issue is that the Broncos would have been happy to offer him a deal if he didn't meet with the Cowboys and try to make it into a bidding war. They were very public about driving up the best deal for him when he was still a developing player.

The issue is that the Broncos would have been happy to offer him a deal if he didn't meet with the Cowboys and try to make it into a bidding war. They were very public about driving up the best deal for him when he was still a developing player.
Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. All I know is it's impossible for anyone to choose between a contract and no contract. No offer at all means we are not interested. If we wanted to offer 300k we should have offered it and let him make a call.
I think the club has made the right choice regardless of Areys decision. Gamble has shown bucket loads more in his 2 games.

I get that they never offered him a contract. What I'm saying is that Kevvie thought he could well be the future of the club and said that publicly. I think he asked Tom to go back to ISC and get his game sorted. When the Cows made the offer Tom thought 'no point in hanging around'.
Wouldn't you?, when your club can't be fucked making a counter. I'm mpre than happy the way things are shaping up, though.

I know this does not matter now but can we just establish this once and for all.....

The Broncos DID NOT offer Dearden a contract. I don't see why ppl keep putting it on Tom that he went to the Cows.
Mate he took a tour in the preseason, that showed his intentions clearly. Now ask yourself if you would offer a new contract to a bloke who's form and allegiance was questionable at best. I have no sympathy for him at all, he made the moves.

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. All I know is it's impossible for anyone to choose between a contract and no contract. No offer at all means we are not interested. If we wanted to offer 300k we should have offered it and let him make a call.
I think the club has made the right choice regardless of Areys decision. Gamble has shown bucket loads more in his 2 games.
The Broncos weren't interested because of the way his management tried to play the situation and how he performed afterwards. If he played like he deserved a competitive offer then the Broncos would have sat down with him. Instead they were quite open about how Brisbane had six weeks to make up their mind and that's how it basically transpired.

Wouldn't you?, when your club can't be fucked making a counter. I'm mpre than happy the way things are shaping up, though.
If there was a contract out there sure I'd be more than tempted to snatch it, but if Kevvie had come to me personally and said "look I'll give you a couple of games in first grade to give you a chance to convince me your're ready, otherwise you just keep plugging away in ISC as I think you have what it takes and in fact I think we can build a future team around you when you are ready' I'd be more inclined to stick it out and fulfill my dream of being a lifelong Bronco. if that useless dick Pies had not brought him in so early he'd probably still be with us perfecting his game. He could have learned first hand off of Reynolds if all things go according to plan. As well as being coached by one of our greatest ever 5/8s. Instead he has Chad Townsend and the occasional tip from JT.

The Broncos weren't interested because of the way his management tried to play the situation and how he performed afterwards. If he played like he deserved a competitive offer then the Broncos would have sat down with him. Instead they were quite open about how Brisbane had six weeks to make up their mind and that's how it basically transpired.
Yep that's all good BP, I understand. None of the why negates the fact he wasn't offered a choice which was my point.

If there was a contract out there sure I'd be more than tempted to snatch it, but if Kevvie had come to me personally and said "look I'll give you a couple of games in first grade to give you a chance to convince me your're ready, otherwise you just keep plugging away in ISC as I think you have what it takes and in fact I think we can build a future team around you when you are ready' I'd be more inclined to stick it out and fulfill my dream of being a lifelong Bronco. if that useless dick Pies had not brought him in so early he'd probably still be with us perfecting his game. He could have learned first hand off of Reynolds if all things go according to plan. As well as being coached by one of our greatest ever 5/8s. Instead he has Chad Townsend and the occasional tip from JT.
No way I would believe anything from a coaches mouth without the paperwork to back it up.
Just ask Petro how that worked out for him.

No way I would believe anything from a coaches mouth without the paperwork to back it up.
Agreed about Petro, but if i never had a contract in the first place I really had nothing to lose at that stage.

Yep that's all good BP, I understand. None of the why negates the fact he wasn't offered a choice which was my point.
I understand your point, but understand mine.

He made a choice when he met with the Cowboys. He made a choice when he allowed his management team to publically give the Broncos six weeks. He made a choice when he played poorly and he made a choice when he agreed to the Cowboys deal. The deal was signed off in April, he still effectively had six months to come to an arrangement.

Thing is he wanted a bidding war, but then signed a deal before a war had even started.

He either figured he had been overpriced and jumped at the deal before they took it off the table or couldn't be bothered playing well enough to create a reason for a bidding war in the first place.

Mate he took a tour in the preseason, that showed his intentions clearly. Now ask yourself if you would offer a new contract to a bloke who's form and allegiance was questionable at best. I have no sympathy for him at all, he made the moves.
I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. Any player would be foolish to not listen to offers, that's a normal part of being an NRL player. We wouldn't have a lot of players if we sooked up every time a player listened to offers from other clubs.

Thing is he wanted a bidding war, but then signed a deal before a war had even started.

He either figured he had been overpriced and jumped at the deal before they took it off the table or couldn't be bothered playing well enough to create a reason for a bidding war in the first place.
This ^ I think he and the manager had planned to get his asking price up, had the media talk him up to get him on the field. Then he crapped the bed and didn't play well, the Broncs clearly knew what was happening and didn't even show up to the table. Dearden had one option take the Cowboys now or risk not having a contract to sign. I am not even really angry at the kid, but he didn't act in good faith at all and really if he wanted to be the "Bronco for life" he wouldn't have worried about tours at the Cowboys he just would have played good footy here and let that do the talking.

Wanted to be a Bronco for life but started organising deals ASAP with rival clubs.

Hmmm...
Wanting to be a Bronco for life doesn't mean you don't find out your worth, it doesn't mean you blindly negotiate for unders.
Let's not forget his age and the fact he has a manager/parents advising him on the best way to approach these things.
I don't feel sorry for the guy the way it's panned out, simply saying when you're not presented with a choice it's not accurate to say he walked away.

Wanting to be a Bronco for life doesn't mean you don't find out your worth, it doesn't mean you blindly negotiate for unders.
Let's not forget his age and the fact he has a manager/parents advising him on the best way to approach these things.
I don't feel sorry for the guy the way it's panned out, simply saying when you're not presented with a choice it's not accurate to say he walked away.
You would think trying to re-sign with the club would be your first priority instead of meeting with other clubs so you could start some kind of bidding war.

I said it at the time, Ayoub is trying to paint the Broncos as the bad guys because he didn't get the value he thought he would out of Dearden. He used the media to trumpet it up as the next big thing and it blew up in his face so the toys came out of the cot.

Keep in mind too that's Ayoub's view on things. Considering the noise coming out of the Broncos I doubt it was that clear cut.

You would think trying to re-sign with the club would be your first priority instead of meeting with other clubs so you could start some kind of bidding war.

I said it at the time, Ayoub is trying to paint the Broncos as the bad guys because he didn't get the value he thought he would out of Dearden. He used the media to trumpet it up as the next big thing and it blew up in his face so the toys came out of the cot.

Keep in mind too that's Ayoub's view on things. Considering the noise coming out of the Broncos I doubt it was that clear cut.
I'm not disputing any of that, although some of it is your POV . Once again simply saying, Tom , at the end of the day, no matter how he arrived at that point was not offered a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Redux
  • Aldo
  • Battler
  • RodF
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Old Mate
  • Foordy
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • broncsgoat
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • LittleDavey
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • jd87
  • Strop
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.