Cheerios - food of champions... and poor people

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
I was at the deli today buying ham and I looked over and saw Cocktail frankfurts, or "Cheerios" as I prefer to call them. Having a sudden urge to eat one, i asked for 5. You can only imagine my excitement when i got them and saw the price tag... $0.85.

Thats right!!! $0.85 for 5 cheerios!!! Why isnt this a well known fact?! Today Tonight should be running this story. How to feed a family of 5 for under $5! Imagine the savings if you had Cheerios every night for a week!

Aussie

NYC Player
I must say, cold or cooked cheerios are great! Covered in tomato sauce, you can eat them anytime. Sick, Drunk, Hungover, Tired, Bored, the possibilities of the humble cheerio are endless.

I rememeber as a child when mum would buy them, she would always ask for one to be left out for me so I could eat it right then and there.

I god, I could go some cheerios!

sarisnemo

NRL Player
cheerios rock.
i remember when i was little i got free ones when we went to the butcher.

... i still ask for free ones at the butcher.

they still give them to me to!!!!!

Sway

QCup Player
Phi Phi
sarisnemo said:
cheerios rock.
i remember when i was little i got free ones when we went to the butcher.

... i still ask for free ones at the butcher.

they still give them to me to!!!!!
me too! well i dont ask they just give me one! hot in sauce at the ekka...mmmm!

Hitman

NRL Player
Sydney
Hell yeah !!!!!!!!!!! Cheerios rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know them as cocktail frankfurts but when I first went to New Zealand they mentioned cheerios and I said WTF are they!? I love them and can eat tonnes load... believe me, I can. Can't eat it cold but hot ones with lots of tomatoe sauce. The only way to eat it.

Yes, they taste even better when your drunk & hungry.

Kee

QCup Player
Ate so many cherrios when I was pregnant and working in Woolies deli the joke was that my bub would be born with a cherrio hanging out of its mouth.(I had a girl so there was no chance of a cherrio hanging from both ends) :)

I too used to get freebies from the butcher... But we supplied the bucher with both cattle and pigs, so i used to get like some in a bag, haha

I also remember the time we got like a massive massive bag from the Aussie Helpers (it was one christmas during a drought). I think it was around 5+kg's of them... haha they lasted forever!!

Sway

QCup Player
Phi Phi
wally said:
I too used to get freebies from the butcher... But we supplied the bucher with both cattle and pigs, so i used to get like some in a bag, haha
you realise there are neither of those things in cheerios?!

Sway said:
wally said:
you realise there are neither of those things in cheerios?!
haha not the point... live in a small country town and you'll get it

what are they made out of?? i alays assumed that they were just made out of floor scrapings, much like sausages....

broncoangel

QCup Player
I have never in my life called them Cheerios!! LOL :lol: They are cocktail frankfurts!! And yes they are yum hot or cold and dipped in tomato sauce.....

Aren't Cheerios that round breakfast cereal? :shock:

Maybe it's another one of those NSW/QLD language differences, like QLD's calling permanent markers Nikkos or something?

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Cocktail frankfurts is a mouthful! Cheerios is better for champions and cheapos haha.

And I like eating Cheerios when it's cooked with PLENTY of tomato sauce.

Sway

QCup Player
Phi Phi
yeah there is that new brekky thing called cheerios.....somthing should be done about this. they've had those in the states for years though..

what are they made out of? i thought it was all the left overs?! :?

Sway said:
Yeah i gnerally find that butchers tend to deal with 3 main products: Beef, Pork and Lamb... Internet says Beef and Pork, although it's floor scrappings it's still Beef and pork.... mince it all up together, stick in a som preservatives and your good to go!

Hitman

NRL Player
Sydney
mick! said:
Cocktail frankfurts?

Bwahahaha. They're cheerios, pure and simple!
Cheerios!? ... is this a QLD/NSW thing? I've alway know them as "frankfurts" Mick. Always thought ALL of Australia called them frankfurts... hmmm.

Kee

QCup Player
Frankfurts are the long vertion of cheerios Hitman ;) Unlike thongs and jangles,eskies and chilly bills :lol:
ALWAYS in Qld known as cheerios and not cocktail franks.

Sway

QCup Player
Phi Phi
wally said:
Sway said:
Yeah i gnerally find that butchers tend to deal with 3 main products: Beef, Pork and Lamb... Internet says Beef and Pork, although it's floor scrappings it's still Beef and pork.... mince it all up together, stick in a som preservatives and your good to go!
wow..!we really do eat anything!

Kee said:
Frankfurts are the long vertion of cheerios Hitman ;) Unlike thongs and jangles,eskies and chilly bills :lol:
ALWAYS in Qld known as cheerios and not cocktail franks.
Yeah, I guess we did discover another NSW/Qld/NZ word difference!
I call them cheerios too, like most Qld bred people.

We use to have them as a "special" hot lunch as kids, in the same boat as a hot chip sandwich, a treat from the usual lunch of cold sandwich.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter