Clean up - PC has virus/s

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep

BHQ Tech team unite ........!!!

I have been tasked with trying to clean up the mrs laptop. Her and the kids play games and stuff and download all sorts of shit on it.

It now appears to have multiple pop-ups and a weird browser re-direct thing happening.

What would be your method of attack....(freeware please)

???

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
I have Malwarebytes

.......just was wondering if you more tech savy blokes had any other weapons you use.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Yeah, Malwarebytes & Spybot Search and Destroy will get rid of 99.9% of the malware/spyware, but if you want the computer running back at full speed, reformat.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Her PC does have the w10 update available
maybe I, give this thing a quick hit with malwarebytes and then upload the W10 upgrade?

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Ahh Penny....the throw away generation. Her laptop is less than a year old mate.....I'm not throwing it away.

So, cleaned successfully and upgraded to W10. Smooth sailing thus far.

Malwarebytes did most of the work. An app called hitman pro found 4 rootkits that MWB's missed.

Did a re-install of her firefox as well. Ran a couple kapersky programmes......tdsskiller.

Took a whole night of scanning to finally de-bug the thing. Interested to see how long it lasts .....

Renegade

NRL Captain
download ublock for mozilla/chrome and add it to the browser, should help with the malware she'd get from basic browsing.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Cheers mate. Forgot to mention that I've added adblock + as well as Adblock face book, youtube, pop-ups etc etc.

I'm actually running it on my own PC now. Blocked all those pesky ads (not from this site of course....I allowed them.
)

Is it common for sites to load a tad slower when you're using adblock...?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Cheers mate. Forgot to mention that I've added adblock + as well as Adblock face book, youtube, pop-ups etc etc.

I'm actually running it on my own PC now. Blocked all those pesky ads (not from this site of course....I allowed them.
)

Is it common for sites to load a tad slower when you're using adblock...?
It's slightly slower due to Adblock doing it's thing as the page renders.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Like to give a shout out to "adwcleaner".....got rid of a couple pesky issues I was having that MWB couldn't seem to find.

Also "Zemana antimalware" is an effective alternative to Hitman Pro.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
I'm having trouble with trend micro on 1 of the home PCs. It keeps telling me to connect to the net to get updates. I have followed the trouble shooting directions which don't work. I have found trend very hard to contact for help. Basically I'm ready to give them the boot so any suggestions as to the best protection I can get, there are a few out there and I know little about this stuff. I'm happy to pay, it doesn't have to be free, just good and easy.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
I use Norton Internet Security. It used to be a drag, but the latest releases have been really good. Just set-up and forget.

There are a few good free ones out there as well, like Avast, Avira, AVG, Bitdefender, or even Windows Defender, but they are not as extensive as the paid ones.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
THey will usually get back to you in 24 hours. Sometimes the nerds that hang out there will come and help, but I've opened a few threads, and that seems to be how their support reps are contacted, rather than email.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter