Cleary verbals Klein in person - could cop a big whack

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/19a9533d9c55ead00681edef8dc2dac7
NRL referee Ashley Klein has been confronted by Penrith skipper James Tamou in the tunnel at halftime of a fiery clash with Canberra, with coach Ivan Cleary also becoming involved.
The moment was spotted in the tunnel by Fox League’s sideline reporter Andy Raymond, who saw Tamou and Klein in a heavy discussion, with Cleary offering ‘advice’ from a few metres away.

It’s believed Klein did not hear Cleary’s comments, and the incident will not be included in the NRL’s match report.

Live stream the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership on KAYO SPORTS. Every game of every round live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial >

Round 20
TEAM TIPS: Rabbitohs big Burgess boost, Broncos enforcer rubbed out

‘HE WILL STINK ANYONE!’ Tempers flare in heated Penrith battle

The dispute came after star James Maloney continually argued with Klein on the field, and was warned to cool his behaviour in the second half or he would be sin-binned.

“You as captain are not setting a very good example,” Klein told Maloney.

But after a fiery first half and a melee between the two teams, Klein was confronted by Tamou at halftime, and the heated discussion then spilt into the tunnel and intensified.

[IMG]

Captain, Klein, COACH in blue

1:30
MORE NRL NEWS

OUCH: Legends roast Napa as prop’s fatal blunders prove costly for Bulldogs

WHERE’S THE CONSISTENCY? Pangai, Luke facing bans for dangerous tackles

GONE: Out-of-favour Eels speedster granted immediate release

WOW: Fuming Warriors coach demands NRL rule ‘piss off’ after Eels farce

Speaking in the press conference after the match, Cleary denied any wrongdoing.

“I went to speak to our captain Jimmy Tamou to get him to talk to the refs — which he did,” Cleary said.

“It was nothing untoward. I just wanted to clarify something which probably happens every week.”

However, in 2016 Roosters coach Trent Robinson was fined $40,000 for directing sensational spray at referee Ben Cummins on Anzac Day.

You would have to think the NRL are gonna come down like a tonne of Fatfitas on this, cause they would not like the precedent it sets. Can you imagine the likes of Bellyache and Stuart getting the idea in their head that they can get away with chasing down the refs at half time and giving them a tongue lashing? Or any coach really. When you're wound up and emotional during a game and you see the ref that just slugged you with 6 straight penalties wandering by, self control goes out the window.

Last edited:
When they were roasting Annesley on NRL 360 tonight about it he didn't seem overly concerned about the incident.

I'm guessing it'll just be a small fine.

When they were roasting Annesley on NRL 360 tonight about it he didn't seem overly concerned about the incident.

Because Annesley is weak as ****.

Not even a fine, just a warning, lol.

Poor old Hodgo gives the ref a "**** you" gesture behind his back and gets suspended...

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.