Climate Change: Fact or Fiction

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
The news today that Greta Thunberg was named Time's Person of the Year prompted me to create this thread dedicated to Human Influenced Climate Change.

I didn't want it lumped in with Politics, Religion or Conspiracy Theory. It's important enough to deserve it's own space.

My view is simple and simultaneously complex. I believe it's as certain as it is possible to be. We humans have changed things. I haven't reached that conclusion because 'experts' or Greta Thunberg told me so. I've been been considering the planet for decades.

Various media throughout those years have reported on deforestation, massive pollution, both deliberate and consequential, and population growth combined with the attendant demands for food, power, cleared land and growth in those fields.

I've always thought the earth's natural state was finely balanced and a single change alone could upset the balance for everything. In my early thinking it was simply deforestation but later it was that and the endless gases from vehicles and industry. I just cannot see how anyone can believe we can have removed 50-75% of the worlds greenery and added trillions of tonnes of gases into the atmosphere to no effect.

I say, pay heed to the call to action the worlds scientific community is demanding. Oh, listen to Greta, her message is right!!

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
I honestly don't believe there is an argument at this point. We suck at looking after the planet, it's as simple as it gets.
Oh yes I agree. It's just that I've encountered quite a few denialists in my workplace to my surprise. On top of that my closest friend is a denialist and there seems to be quite a few amongst my facebook 'friends'. I was wondering if we have the a similar ratio on bhq. Plus it's a good topic for healthy debate.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Oh yes I agree. It's just that I've encountered quite a few denialists in my workplace to my surprise. On top of that my closest friend is a denialist and there seems to be quite a few amongst my facebook 'friends'. I was wondering if we have the a similar ratio on bhq. Plus it's a good topic for healthy debate.
A lot of bias with this argument. I'm sure your work mates know that those lumps of black rocks are very valuable to their pay packet.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
There's at least some hope with the youth at the moment.

Some of the things kids in high schools and universities, even primary schools, are inventing as solutions to waste and energy problems are incredible.

Awful leadership in general at the moment around the world, in Australia we rate among the worst in climate change response. Massive disconnect between the government and the people, who keep being tricked into voting against their best interests with dollar signs.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
A lot of bias with this argument. I'm sure your work mates know that those lumps of black rocks are very valuable to their pay packet.
Mmmmm, maybe. Mind you there's no black rocks here! Iron ore is your classic rusty red tinge but I digress. I don't think bias towards industry is swaying their views but yeah, it could be a factor. That doesn't account for the others though. It seems like there's a growing number of climate denialists or am I just noticing the ones already out there?

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
It's already been established that large energy companies have known that man-made climate change is a thing, for decades. The only reason there is even a debate about it is that they have spent millions on various avenues in an attempt to water it down or flat out deny it. Whether that be through "sponsored" research, right down to the dodgy email or facebook shares that we've all seen or received.

Large manufacturing industries are also heavily involved in lobbying governments to allow them to remain heavy polluters, because it's much cheaper to manufacture dirty.

On the flip side, a country like Australia, that relies heavily on resources, would absolutely crash overnight if there were heavy-handed restrictions put in place immediately. Imagine America or the Middle East if oil use was restricted or halted.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
There's at least some hope with the youth at the moment.

Some of the things kids in high schools and universities, even primary schools, are inventing as solutions to waste and energy problems are incredible.

Awful leadership in general at the moment around the world, in Australia we rate among the worst in climate change response. Massive disconnect between the government and the people, who keep being tricked into voting against their best interests with dollar signs.
I caught something on the news this morning, just the tail end but it said something like we, Australia is coming last on climate policy. I'll have to do some searching as I didn't get it all.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
It's already been established that large energy companies have known that man-made climate change is a thing, for decades. The only reason there is even a debate about it is that they have spent millions on various avenues in an attempt to water it down or flat out deny it. Whether that be through "sponsored" research, right down to the dodgy email or facebook shares that we've all seen or received.

Large manufacturing industries are also heavily involved in lobbying governments to allow them to remain heavy polluters, because it's much cheaper to manufacture dirty.

On the flip side, a country like Australia, that relies heavily on resources, would absolutely crash overnight if there were heavy-handed restrictions put in place immediately. Imagine America or the Middle East if oil use was restricted or halted.
I often disagree with you but not this time. I even acknowledge the conspiratorial nature of the mega energy companies actions. What sickens me are the media hacks like Andrew Bolt and Alan Toilet Block Jones. Flat out denialists provided platforms to sway the gullible. My great mate parrots them, he's totally of the opinion that those two are loyal soldiers, fighting the good fight and telling it like it is. No, ha ha, he's not doing it to wind up his grumpy old buddy !

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
My kind-of-step-brother (Son of my dad's long-term GF) works in mining and is often sharing this stuff. Not because he's a bad guy and is deliberately trying to mislead people. But because he gets sent / sees them and thinks it's true:

But if you dig deeper:

It's pretty safe to assume who are behind these false claims. But when it's formatted and shared in such an amateur way, people would never think it's from any more than a well-meaning concerned citizen.

There is just SO much of it out there, on so many different topics, that it's almost impossible to tell what the truth is. And when you call people out on it, you're the bag guy because you're butting in on stuff that's none of your business.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Whether climate change is real or not, something needs to be done.

I was over in Taiwan last November and the amount of pollution was unbelievable. In Tainan, you couldn't see the sun most days, there was that much pollution in the air. We couldn't even see planes until they dropped to a very low altitude.

It seems as though each year we're seeing record temperature levels which are contributing to natural disasters.

Shit needs to change.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Whether climate change is real or not, something needs to be done.

I was over in Taiwan last November and the amount of pollution was unbelievable. In Tainan, you couldn't see the sun most days, there was that much pollution in the air. We couldn't even see planes until they dropped to a very low altitude.

It seems as though each year we're seeing record temperature levels which are contributing to natural disasters.

Shit needs to change.
From what I've read new records of all types are being set in every single country worldwide. I know it's the off season and a lot of posters aren't going to this site but I'm wondering if we actually do have any deniers out there. Speaking for myself only I'm going to be respectful to any that appear because I really want to know why deniers deny.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Found the news article.

Australia has scored 0 out of 100 on the International Climate Change Performance Index.6820

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Hey, go Portugal! Surprised to see China doing well, they used to be amongst the worst. Mind you, I'm not saying this is golden and totally truthful, I have no way of knowing that but still, Australia should be doing better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter