OFFICIAL Xavier Coates Leaves Broncos

He’s a huge loss, I really hoped we would keep him. What about this though for the rest of this year: Isaako to wing, Niu to fullback.
Like I said earlier, we're only renting these players. He's ours for the rest of season. No need to play a second string player because we're small minded and spiteful.

Like I said earlier, we're only renting these players. He's ours for the rest of season. No need to play a second string player because we're small minded and spiteful.
If we think about players as rentals, we will never be successful.

Hes chosen to move on, its not in the benefit of the club or team. We wont be making a finals run, so hes surplus to needs from the date of signing. Put that effort and game time into someone who is the future replacement.

He isn’t a regular first grader, he’s an elite up and comer, why benefit his new team by developing him further?

If he is gone, that's another $500K in our war chest and should see us have enough money to after a Capewell or even Hodgson.

If he is gone, that's another $500K in our war chest and should see us have enough money to after a Capewell or even Hodgson.

But what message does this send to prospective signings? It says we can’t keep players we desperately want to keep and who we have developed, they’d prefer to go elsewhere. What does that say about our development team or club as a whole?

we're in a rebuilding phase ... why the hell would we rebuild with a player with one foot out the door. give that opportunity to someone else who wants to be here.

on Lodge, which you mentioned earlier:

a) he wants to be here
b) he has a contract for next year
c) if you really want to move him on, then you want him not only on display in the top grade, but performing so someone picks up his contract (or at least a very large portion of it)

completely different circumstances to Coates

I'd be fine with that, anyone who can just be serviceable. Kev needs players who are buying in and happy to be there. Coates looked depressed after scoring trys, not the right energy for the team.
Kunt into the centres....Arthurs to wing?

But what message does this send to prospective signings? It says we can’t keep players we desperately want to keep and who we have developed, they’d prefer to go elsewhere. What does that say about our development team or club as a whole?

it says Craig Bellamy is not the coach end of story ...

actually it says one more thing ... we develop players that other clubs (including the best club of the last decade) want to poach

Kunt into the centres....Arthurs to wing?
He can't come in before round 11, but if Kev think's he up to NRL defensively I'd love to see him back.

we're in a rebuilding phase ... why the hell would we rebuild with a player with one foot out the door. give that opportunity to someone else who wants to be here.

on Lodge, which you mentioned earlier:

a) he wants to be here
b) he has a contract for next year
c) if you really want to move him on, then you want him not only on display in the top grade, but performing so someone picks up his contract (or at least a very large portion of it)

completely different circumstances to Coates
Just pay some **** $200k to play on the wing and give the money to Reynolds rather than paying lodge to play at another club surely

he is really no great loss. especially if he doesn't want to stay. be gone! more cap space, for more important positions.
his defense is very average

You could tell he was gone when his post try celebrations turned into a funeral.

Absolutely gutted but angry all the same. The club needs to start pulling offers by April if they haven’t signed post Nov 1 and the NRL needs to have a signing window post season. Amateurs.

He can't come in before round 11, but if Kev think's he up to NRL defensively I'd love to see him back.

while it would be a good story, i'd probably prefer to bring in a player of the future ... which is why i'd also personally rule out bringing back Mead (who has been good for us on the wing this year)

i'd be looking at Cobbo or Nui personally. Nui has had a stint back in the ISC, could be a good time to Bring him back

Use the 500k for Dufty/Hynes and move Isaako to wing. Way better team balance straight away. Coates going will be a blessing for our salary cap management.

He'll be picked this Friday, because we're paying for him now. He's currently a Bronco. The team is not "in rebuild this year," it's always "in rebuild." You put your best 18 on the paddock. End of story. Doing anything else is shooting yourself in the foot and being a child about it. That goes for Bennett and Hodges especially.

Dearden got dumped because he wasn't working out. Not because he's leaving. Cobbo isn't a patch on Coates. Neither is Niu.

Walters wants to finish this season in the eight. His best chance of that is to play Coates. Or not, but that's up to him. Not sooky fans.

I'm glad we haven't spent 500k on a winger. Sucks that he is gone, but time to move on.

We are in a building year, winning the comp isn't going to happen. I'd be putting him into ISC and working on combinations for next year. Wouldn't be against a trade with Hynes right now.

He'll be picked this Friday, because we're paying for him now. He's currently a Bronco. The team is not "in rebuild this year," it's always "in rebuild." You put your best 18 on the paddock. End of story. Doing anything else is shooting yourself in the foot and being a child about it. That goes for Bennett and Hodges especially.

Dearden got dumped because he wasn't working out. Not because he's leaving.
Looking at team selections as a week to week thing is shooting yourself in the foot too.
We'd be far better served putting Niu to fullback immediately with Isaako to wing with a view to seeing if Niu can handle the fullback position fulltime or if we recruit externally for next year.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • mrslong
  • Maroon4life
  • Foordy
  • Johnny92
  • Fatboy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Justwin
  • jd87
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Waynesaurus
  • Kev_Guz
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • Inknition
  • Manofoneway
  • Morkel
  • LittleDavey
... and 73 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.