OFFICIAL Xavier Coates Leaves Broncos

Assuming he is gone, Kev's "We are keeping him" is the new "Full support of the board".
Yep, for all the bagging Badel gets around these parts, he's right about 90% of the time. Kevvy, well you can pretty much discount anything he says as, at best, wishful thinking. And bear in mind, he's the official source for all these journalists.

it started 9 rounds ago after Seibold demolished us
Let's put it another way: when was the last time the club wasn't "rebuilding?" Have to be before Henjak.

I’m glad we aren’t tying up another 500k on a winger tbh. Oates is on that amount too. Would’ve been great to keep him but with the right systems in place you shouldn’t be relying on a winger as much as we are.

I do find his post try celebrations bizarre. I would love to know the psychology behind that. Is he ashamed to celebrate because he’s leaving? Is it because he screamed that time and someone told him to be more humble? Is it a silent protest about the treatment of his mates or himself at the club? Weird stuff

What? That's such a stupid thing to say while trying to sound smart. Every single player wants to win a premiership. But if you offer any player 200k a year and a premiership, or a million a year and a spoon, every single one of them is taking the cash.
That is a stupid thing to say.
Shows you dont get it.

Like I said earlier, we're only renting these players. He's ours for the rest of season. No need to play a second string player because we're small minded and spiteful.
If there was a long term option on par with hi.m, I'd say drop him for them but I'm not sure that true right now.
Niu is the obvious candidate, followed by cobbo but neither seem ready yet.
So that leaves another question. Is he a better player currently to the likes of Copley, read or Kennar (another storm developed player that should give him pause).
If the answer is "yes", play him. If it is "no", play them.
I rely on thos e who watch more ISC than I for that assessment.

I’m glad we aren’t tying up another 500k on a winger tbh. Oates is on that amount too. Would’ve been great to keep him but with the right systems in place you shouldn’t be relying on a winger as much as we are.

I do find his post try celebrations bizarre. I would love to know the psychology behind that. Is he ashamed to celebrate because he’s leaving? Is it because he screamed that time and someone told him to be more humble? Is it a silent protest about the treatment of his mates or himself at the club? Weird stuff
Yeah, I think he's pretty embarrassed about it. Going to Melbourne is obviously better for him, but he knows he's letting the fans down. I don't think the other players will hold it against him. Melbourne's coaching is the gold standard in the league. They're all going or have been through the same thought process. Payne said as much, that it was only Bennett that kept him from the Storm.

Walter and Donaghy, I'm sure, put some major guilts on him - because that's their major bargaining chip - so he won't be feeling great about his choice no matter how much it makes sense for his career. But having his surrogate daddy Macca, and best mate Tommy Dearden, leave will have made it easier for him not get weighed down by the illusion of loyalty meaning something.

If there was a long term option on par with hi.m, I'd say drop him for them but I'm not sure that true right now.
So that leaves another question. Is he a better player currently to the likes of Copley, read or Kennar (another storm developed player that should give him pause).
If there were, we wouldn't have been offering him half a million a year to stay.

Yeah, I think he's pretty embarrassed about it. Going to Melbourne is obviously better for him, but he knows he's letting the fans down. I don't think the other players will hold it against him. Melbourne's coaching is the gold standard in the league. They're all going or have been through the same thought process. Payne said as much, that it was only Bennett that kept him from the Storm.

Walter and Donaghy, I'm sure, put some major guilts on him - because that's their major bargaining chip - so he won't be feeling great about his choice no matter how much it makes sense for his career. But having his surrogate daddy Macca, and best mate Tommy Dearden, leave will have made it easier for him not get weighed down by the illusion of loyalty meaning something.
I think we should release him early. He isn't the finished product so there is not much point playing him. I would have liked him to stay but he probably made the right decision for his career.

That is a stupid thing to say.
Shows you dont get it.
Shows I don't live in a fairy land. Players know it's a business, sure a premiership is great and going to a strong club with a chance to win will come into it only when the money is similar. Shows with Coates if the money reporting is accurate, there isn't much difference between 850 and 1m after taxes. But if you start talking about 3-400k+ differences, players will go to shitty clubs.

Yep, for all the bagging Badel gets around these parts, he's right about 90% of the time. Kevvy, well you can pretty much discount anything he says as, at best, wishful thinking. And bear in mind, he's the official source for all these journalists.
Kevvie is saying what he has to say. And there was nothing he was going to be able to do. Right now the Broncos can't offer what Melbourne can. We have not paid overs to keep Fifita and Coates and we have to keep doing that as much as it hurts. We badly stuffed up Walsh. Should have been in the team from round one. Dearden was the right call.

Shows I don't live in a fairy land. Players know it's a business, sure a premiership is great and going to a strong club with a chance to win will come into it only when the money is similar. Shows with Coates if the money reporting is accurate, there isn't much difference between 850 and 1m after taxes. But if you start talking about 3-400k+ differences, players will go to shitty clubs.
No point talking to you young fella.
You know it all

Exactly. As if Melbourne will drop Addo Carr because he's leaving. They'll milk every last drop out of him before he goes. And what's he do: scores 6 tries for them.

Coates will finish the season at number 2, unless Walters finds a "pathway" for another player to replace him, who's ready to go right now.

It's a bit rich having every player worried about being shopped elsewhere and then throwing a tantrum when one of them deserts the stinking ship because the atmosphere is so oppressive. And then turning around and calling him a traitor. ****'s sake.
Addo Carr is the finished product. Coates is you but admittedly playing well. He doesn't deserved to be dropped. I would release him early and see if we can swap him for Hynes or Smith etc.

When did this rebuild start and when does it finish - just for interest?
Siebold started it but did such a bad job it had to start again once he left. The reality is we are still a long way of finishing.

Addo Carr is the finished product. Coates is you but admittedly playing well. He doesn't deserved to be dropped. I would release him early and see if we can swap him for Hynes or Smith etc.

Early swap for Hynes would be good. Cant see Belly doing it though. They don’t need a winger right now and Haynes has been doing a great job for them covering for if Paps goes down.

I wouldn’t want Hynes long term because I think his ceiling Is fairly low but looks great in the Melbourne system. But for this season

1. Hynes
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Arthurs/Staggs
5. Isaako

Does a lot for our spine.

Great assessment. Isaako ongoing mistakes at fullback are also part of the equation.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.