OFFICIAL Xavier Coates Leaves Broncos

If there were, we wouldn't have been offering him half a million a year to stay.
I think a portion of that will be for potential. After all, how many tries has he actually scored on his own. Farnsworth and staggs have done far more, as has Isaako for that matter and I doubt we are fighting off contenders for Isaako.
He's not being seen as a career winger or even centre but a fullback. It's not happening any time soon but eventually down the road it will happen and some of that money will be for it.
Put it this way. Is he any better out there than farnsworth? Farnsworth is a good catch, better defender, has a better pass and probably has equivalent speed and agility.
I would say of those others behind him, Copley and mead are both better defenders with decent leaps and good pace, but without the ability to break tackles. Kennar can break tackles but makes our front rowers look like speed machines.
In short whatever they have might be better but Coates CAN get what they have and is possibly a more complete package.
It's kept him in the team but it's not an absolute, particularly if his form drops or his attitude takes a dive. He played well last night but his aging opposite played better.

Early swap for Hynes would be good. Cant see Belly doing it though. They don’t need a winger right now and Haynes has been doing a great job for them covering for if Paps goes down.

I wouldn’t want Hynes long term because I think his ceiling Is fairly low but looks great in the Melbourne system. But for this season

1. Hynes
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Arthurs/Staggs
5. Isaako

Does a lot for our spine.
Yeah I would not make the swap if I was Melbourne either. They don't need to do it as much as we do because they have long term planned their comings and goings. If that's the case Coates stays on the wing.

I think we probably agree on some points funnily enough and they are:

- Very sad to lose him
- He has made himself look pretty poor with the plea to fans
- He probably does feel really guilty
- He is making the best decision for himself, no doubt
- We are actually benefitting by not tying up that much in a current winger (though he will end up in the centres most likely)
- Our recruitment and retention team sucks
- Kevvie's comments make him look a bit silly
- This will neither make or break us depending on what we do with the money

Kevs just been on the footy show and confirmed he’s gone and that they’ll look at the market
Says he’s disappointed and compared it to Locky and Langer leaving /retiring 🤯

If only we still had Seibold as coach, he could continue to develop him into a shit player and send him to Melbourne with more deficiencies than he already has.
4nbu3o.png

Watch the titans now go for Niu. You’ll se an article within the next 2wks. Guaranteed.

stop giving Mal idea's (not to mention the media a story idea)

Why is it that almost all of our off-contract players are getting snapped up by other teams but we don’t hear a whisper of any team, and I mean any team, being remotely interested in poaching our 6.

I mean, ****, they could very easily get him for well under $500k but it’s crickets.

As much as I give Milford shit, and he absolutely deserves it, I honestly think there is a strong chance the blokes career in Australia is all but done.

And because he’s so fucking lazy, it’s hard to see him putting in the effort required to relocate to the UK. Short of some kind of career resurgence or Bradbury moment, he could legitimately retire from professional League at age 26.

Actually quite a shame, given how good he looked in 2015 / 16.

Melbourne are challenging for the premiership ... so of course they'll pick their best 17 regardless

we are rebuilding ... we need to continue that process, not delay it because Coates is a nice bloke
And, Addo-Carr has been there for years and it is not the case of him being developed, he is the finished product.

If Melbourne were out of contention and had a young wing prospect killing it demanding to be picked, it is highly likely that Bellamy would be picking that kid to gain experience over Addo-Carr.

Why is it that almost all of our off-contract players are getting snapped up by other teams but we don’t hear a whisper of any team, and I mean any team, being remotely interested in poaching our 6.

I mean, ****, they could very easily get him for well under $500k but it’s crickets.

As much as I give Milford shit, and he absolutely deserves it, I honestly think there is a strong chance the blokes career in Australia is all but done.

And because he’s so fucking lazy, it’s hard to see him putting in the effort required to relocate to the UK. Short of some kind of career resurgence or Bradbury moment, he could legitimately retire from professional League at age 26.

I think he’s done as an NRL half. Could be picked up by a strong side as a #14 or a depth player.

Walters:

“It is disappointing for sure because we like to keep our kids who have been in our system for several years."

“How big a loss is it? Well, I don’t really know. We lost an Immortal in Wally Lewis back in 1991 to a rival club and we we’ve seemed to have survived from that so I think we’ll survive from this one. One player doesn’t make a team."

For you young 'uns Wally wasn't "lost" he was ditched, and Walters took his position.

“We’ve got a couple of good young kids coming through, which we are keen to develop but we’ll look at that over the next week to see where we’re at. There’s plenty of good players on the market if we do go to market, that would want to come play at our club. We’re a big club, we’re a strong club.”

“He was one we wanted to keep for sure but we haven’t been able to do that. We wish him all the best for his future career and well move on.”

McHunt

There are supposed to be a couple of teams interested in him but they haven't been named. Presumably his manager is behind the rumour.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • thenry
  • Lozza
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.