OFFICIAL Cobbo Extends With Broncos Until 2025

Who hasnt turned up to work late. it happens.

Mountain, mole hill.

Pretty sure there have been comments about him being one of those players who doesn’t train particularly well too. It was said at the time in a positive sense that he shows up on game day except he hasn’t been lately

Pretty sure there have been comments about him being one of those players who doesn’t train particularly well too. It was said at the time in a positive sense that he shows up on game day except he hasn’t been lately
Are you referring to the comments about different players needing to be handled differently, with Steve Renouf - someone from exactly the same culture - as an example? I can’t remember the source, but I think it might have been Tallis or Webke.

If so, it could be a cultural thing with Selwyn. Some coaches are better at adapting to these cultural idiosyncrasies than others. Wayne is the gold standard, but sometimes, like Jimmy the Jet, it’s still a bridge too far.

But I think with Selwyn, he’s still a bit of a kid, and it’s all a bit too much too soon for him. And that’s all it is.

Mountain, mole hill.
Captain’s run, last game of the year that can decide making it to finals or not and after requesting a week off and you only ‘work’ probably 3 days that week?

Selwyn’s still a kid and he’ll learn from it, but it’s still not acceptable and he deserved the spray

Are you referring to the comments about different players needing to be handled differently, with Steve Renouf - someone from exactly the same culture - as an example? I can’t remember the source, but I think it might have been Tallis or Webke.

If so, it could be a cultural thing with Selwyn. Some coaches are better at adapting to these cultural idiosyncrasies than others. Wayne is the gold standard, but sometimes, like Jimmy the Jet, it’s still a bridge too far.

But I think with Selwyn, he’s still a bit of a kid, and it’s all a bit too much too soon for him. And that’s all it is.
Totally agree with you, I'd say its a massive difference between coming out of a place like Cherbourg than it is coming out of say Logan, Brisbane, gold coast.
The fame/hype would be abit much for Selwyn being the shy kid from Cherbourg and this is why I was never worried about him signing elsewhere.
He's removed his Instagram on multiple occasions so I'd say that's another sign it's got abit too much for him at times.

Mountain, mole hill.
I've worked at a place that sent you home for the day unpaid if you turned up late at the absolute minimum, and that's if you were good at your job. Seen plenty of contractors sacked for rocking up late.

I've worked at a place that sent you home for the day unpaid if you turned up late at the absolute minimum, and that's if you were good at your job. Seen plenty of contractors sacked for rocking up late.
I’ve never fired a person for turning up late. Rarely do they continually do it.

If they did routinely, becomes a HR matter. If our season was banking on Selwyn turning up on time, we were dead anyway

I’ve never fired a person for turning up late. Rarely do they continually do it.

If they did routinely, becomes a HR matter. If our season was banking on Selwyn turning up on time, we were dead anyway
Do you allow employees to turn up late, especially when they are new to the company and at a vital time of the year?

If you do, you need to lift your standards.

Different when you being payed top $$$
Not really. Taking a job where someone else dictates your precise work hours is for drones. The guy who makes the "top" money is the guy who dictates the terms.

Not really. Taking a job where someone else dictates your precise work hours is for drones. The guy who makes the "top" money is the guy who dictates the terms.
The boys normally get there half an hour early before training even earlier if he can’t even be there on actual time there’s something wrong.

I like how they relate Cobbo doing it to a past indigenous player, black or white you have the same job ffs.
Cobbo and Renouf are not just indigenous; they're from the same mission, the same culture. The person who made the comment was Gordon Tallis, also with an indigenous father, but from a different culture. His comment wasn't referencing race or even culture. It was about performance. In this instance, it was how Bennett expected different standards from different players, and that he had to explain why to Tallis because he was complaining that Renouf wasn't putting in the training hours. His reasoning being that he knew Renouf would deliver on the day.

The situation with Selwyn is entirely different. The only point being that different players need to be handled differently to get the best from them.

Despite that, it does help for a coach to understand how to handle the different cultures that make up modern rugby league in Australia. Manly found that out when they attempted to virtue signal their so-called tolerance and it demonstrated the opposite.

Cobbo and Renouf are not just indigenous; they're from the same mission, the same culture. The person who made the comment was Gordon Tallis, also with an indigenous father, but from a different culture. His comment wasn't referencing race or even culture. It was about performance. In this instance, it was how Bennett expected different standards from different players, and that he had to explain why to Tallis because he was complaining that Renouf wasn't putting in the training hours. His reasoning being that he knew Renouf would deliver on the day.

The situation with Selwyn is entirely different. The only point being that different players need to be handled differently to get the best from them.

Despite that, it does help for a coach to understand how to handle the different cultures that make up modern rugby league in Australia. Manly found that out when they attempted to virtue signal their so-called tolerance and it demonstrated the opposite.

Gotcha, well said.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.